Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 27
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading, Pa.
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Dang DIY computer guys are a PITA, then they come in here asking for free advice....

    They ought to make it so only licensed people can work on that stuff...



    Roy

    That's funny! Finally got back to normal, kinda, Trend micro's Anti Virus conflict's with Spybot and see's it as a threat.

    What happened was I ran defrag. overnight friday into saturday and sometime during that time my lappy was attacked.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, for the ungratefull, have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

    Refrigeration is all the same weather your making Ice, refrigerating or freezing the product.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Skokie , IL near chicago
    Posts
    1,131

    Unhappy virus/malware

    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Just wanted to let you guys know there must be something new on the internet today, I started up and was attacked 30 minutes later and have been spending the last 3 hours fighting it, I've had the internet off all day soo Norton antivirus can combat it.
    Just got back on to warn you guys, Looks like a combination of Trojans and Worms.

    I'm getting off now these windows warnings are driving me nuts! windows keeps wanting me to install and buy their stuff I already have Norton and know it messes with certain stuff but it's up to date and soo far taking care of bussiness.
    Same thing happened to me & i had to get my computer re-formatted. Thats what i got for not listening to my comp repair stepson about NOT OPENING ANYTHING FROM UNKNOWN SOURCES!!!!! I got a message from an official looking xp site saying there was a problem & i had to download a repair and a huge red page took over my computer and that was it. Lucky for me i had a family member to help. good luck & regards , Jack

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    houston, texas
    Posts
    3,787
    [quote=Executioner;1850644]That's funny! Finally got back to normal, kinda, Trend micro's Anti Virus conflict's with Spybot and see's it as a threat.

    Ive been using Trend Micro for about 6 years now, have only had one problem with a virus and it cleaned it out with no problem. You just gotta watch what you download from the net.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

    Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own






  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    491
    i have no virus protection software. i use no virus software. i've yet to have a virus on this computer - i've had this one for over two years. i very, very rarely have any form of spyware on my computer (one or two times, last year). i go everywhere on the internet (porn and all). i am online every day.

    i run windows xp (sp2) home edition & firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/). i use the windows xp supplied firewall.

    the firefox MUST HAVE add-on is no script (http://noscript.net). i also use Ad-Block Plus.

    i have all of the safety-related downloads from Gibson Research Corp (http://grc.com). this guy is a frick'n genius. these are a MUST HAVE.

    i have dis-abled all un-needed services on my computer (http://blackviper.com). more for streamlining processor and ram useage than security, but still good stuff.

    i have all of my internet explorer options set to the least functional/highest level of security they can be. ONLY IDIOTS OR THOSE WHO LIKE VIRUSES/SECURITY BREACHES USE INTERNET EXPLORER!

    i check for updates and perform them routinely. i do not, however, allow Microsoft to determine what my "critical updates" are. i go thru them, one by one, and decide what i need. * when using Microsoft Update, you have to use internet explorer. this is the only time i use it.

    i do not download any type of executable programs from the internet unless from a known and trusted source (' .exe).

    99% of all free-ware is loaded with spyware. there is some good free-ware. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOWNLOADING.

    i use Ad-Aware (from Lavasoft) religiously. it is free and is a good example of good, solid freeware.

    do not open attatchments of any type in your e-mail unless you ABSOLUTELY KNOW it's legitimate. * i have never, ever recieved unwanted or unsolicited e-mails. so this is not a problem with me.

    do not let anyone else use your computer. this invites disaster.

    * ALLOWING SCRIPTING IS YOUR ENEMY. RUNNING INTERNET EXPLORER IS YOUR ENEMY.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    houston, texas
    Posts
    3,787
    I agree Mr.HP, scripting is a major problem, so i also use Firefox with the addon No Script. Drives my old lady crazy, she just hates having to deal with the noscripting settings.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

    Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own






  6. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading, Pa.
    Posts
    456
    I understand firefox has less virus/spyware problems but after 6 years on the internet with a bunch of different pc's and this lappy for 2 yrs this is the first time I had an actual virus and trojan to deal with. Spyware is almost a gimme and Spybot always saved the day.

    I may be an idiot but I guess it's more being used to ms explorer than like it.

    I just did my monthly cleaning...delete spam from email, run spybot, run disk cleaner then register cleaner and disk cleaner again then defrag. well sometime during the night something happened and I got nailed!
    From now on I'm unpluging the internet for overnight defrag's and NOW virus scans.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, for the ungratefull, have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

    Refrigeration is all the same weather your making Ice, refrigerating or freezing the product.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hell Hole Swamp
    Posts
    4,180
    I use Firefox with NoScript also, I could never go back to Internet Explorer, I never have spyware or virus problems

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by mr horsepower View Post
    i have no virus protection software. i use no virus software. i've yet to have a virus on this computer - i've had this one for over two years. i very, very rarely have any form of spyware on my computer (one or two times, last year). i go everywhere on the internet (porn and all). i am online every day.

    i run windows xp (sp2) home edition & firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/). i use the windows xp supplied firewall.

    the firefox MUST HAVE add-on is no script (http://noscript.net). i also use Ad-Block Plus.

    i have all of the safety-related downloads from Gibson Research Corp (http://grc.com). this guy is a frick'n genius. these are a MUST HAVE.

    i have dis-abled all un-needed services on my computer (http://blackviper.com). more for streamlining processor and ram useage than security, but still good stuff.

    i have all of my internet explorer options set to the least functional/highest level of security they can be. ONLY IDIOTS OR THOSE WHO LIKE VIRUSES/SECURITY BREACHES USE INTERNET EXPLORER!

    i check for updates and perform them routinely. i do not, however, allow Microsoft to determine what my "critical updates" are. i go thru them, one by one, and decide what i need. * when using Microsoft Update, you have to use internet explorer. this is the only time i use it.

    i do not download any type of executable programs from the internet unless from a known and trusted source (' .exe).

    99% of all free-ware is loaded with spyware. there is some good free-ware. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOWNLOADING.

    i use Ad-Aware (from Lavasoft) religiously. it is free and is a good example of good, solid freeware.

    do not open attatchments of any type in your e-mail unless you ABSOLUTELY KNOW it's legitimate. * i have never, ever recieved unwanted or unsolicited e-mails. so this is not a problem with me.

    do not let anyone else use your computer. this invites disaster.

    * ALLOWING SCRIPTING IS YOUR ENEMY. RUNNING INTERNET EXPLORER IS YOUR ENEMY.
    just downloaded firefox, seems way faster, only question I have is what to use for email client. my outlook is not up on the header now.
    You can't fix stupid

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    N.E. Ok.
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    just downloaded firefox, seems way faster, only question I have is what to use for email client. my outlook is not up on the header now.
    You can use Thunderbird from Mozilla http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    You can use Thunderbird from Mozilla http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    found it, thanks. got everything transferred, I wasn't going to purchase the office for $$$, I haven't been able to send emails forever! I knew there had to be something better for free
    You can't fix stupid

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    houston, texas
    Posts
    3,787
    Do yourself a favor and download the add on called no-script and learn how to use it. It will protect you computer from all kinds of stuff sites want to add to your compuiter like spyware etc,
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

    Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own






  12. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tn.
    Posts
    1,344
    31 trojans found toady.w.t.f.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    I am unsure myself
    Posts
    1,116
    I got a bad virus on my worm once cause I forgot about my trojans. Cmon someone had to say it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event