Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Is your furnace 80%{metal chimney} or 90+% {PVC vent}? If it is 80% it is constantly taking air out of your house which is being replaced by dry outside air from cracks and leaks. As others have said have the units set up to run when the blower runs. Also it will increase your hot water bill but switch them to hot water which will make them more efficient and produce more humidity whether the furnace is on on just the blower. One other thought, do these have the controls with the outdoor sensor to lower humidity settings as the outdoor temp lowers. If they do that will limit the humidity in the house.

Post Likes
    Connecting to a hot water feed should give you a few more points(%). Having it come on with the blower on/off might give you a few more points. The controller on the Aprilaire 800 will keep the blower on until the set point is reach. ( This is an option) Which in your case, its unlikely it will be if your like me. I have mine set at 45%. AHR recommends between 30-50% ( I think) and the US Gov also has suggested healthy humidity levels that are similar. Jumper out the sensor if connected to the outside. Condensate on the windows is not an exact indicator unless it's on every window in the house. Last resort. Water in pots near the registers. Keep tub filled if not being used ? Again, these are last resorts --like if you and the family are getting consistent nose bleeds.

Post Likes

Smile

I use Healthy Climateฎ Whole-Home Bypass Humidifiers, and it gives a great performance, and I think its good for indoor air quality.

Post Likes
    Humidity is relative. In other words, as the temperature changes, so does Relative Humidity. Warm air holds more water than cold air. So, as air is heated, the humidity decreases relative to its temperature. This is why it is important to compare changes at the same temperature, not at the supply registers. Now as far as humidity being variable in the house, it is negligible. Imagine salt dissolved in water in a glass. After it is dissolved the concentration at any point in the glass is uniform. Same as water dissolved in air. Very small differences can be measured but overall, it is consistent. Back to your dilemma. As Teddy Bear points out, you are pretty close to your maximum RH as it is, as indicated by your window sweating. If you are going to push for more RH, you may want to read up on mold first. You make no mention of fresh air for the house. If you are bringing in air through any means at the temps. you stated, it will be drying your house out. Ask yourself what is more important, air quality or comfort. You can have both but it needs to be done right. For me , indoor air quality is much more important and is job #1. Look at your house as a system, read, learn and make your own decisions.
    You have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days of your life.
    You can learn something from EVERYONE.

5. Likes Forane22 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Well written.

Post Likes
    I think you need a better ventilation system.

Post Likes
    I agree the Aprilaire 800,is the best way to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12