TAC CSI remote sites

I connect to 3 remote sites using a phone modem. The connection works fine with 2 of them, but doesn't work with the third. I use a USR 5633A USB modem at the workstation. Are there any types or brands of modem I shouldn't use at the remote site? Is there a ''recipe'' to configure the modems, that doesn't require me to understand all the modem technology?

Is it an analog or digital phone line to the modem? We have not been able to get digital phone lines to work. There is supposed to be some kind of converter available but I've also heard it depends on the providers compression rates.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Analog. But as I stated, I have trouble connecting to only one of the sites.

I understand you said you are only having a problem with one site; however unless I am not understanding what you are asking I am assuming you are connecting to the other sites from the same location, as that you have not clearly stated. Again assuming this is three seperate sites with three seperate phone numbers are you sure even the third site that you are trying to connect to has an analog line to the site and the modem? Just because you have an analog phone line at the site you are connecting from doesn't mean it is analog at the other end.
    Assuming it does have an analog line at the other end, I would have to look up some information to tell you more. Also you did not post whether or not all the modems are the same.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform

You got it right. As for the remote phone line, I'm assuming it's analog since there was a time when I had no problem connecting to the site. But I will make sure it is. And also I'll have to check what modem I have out there.

Meanwhile, can you just tell me which modems(brands, models,etc.) I should use at the remote site?

Many thanks for taking time to help me.

If it worked before something has changed. All it takes is a phone call and an analog phone line can be switched over to digital with a high speed internet connection. All of our customers that have gone to digital phone lines we have no longer been able to connect to there sites consistently, and some not at all, so we added a Xenta 527. You can get the model in the web or the npr, the web gives you a lot more functionality. Attached is a brief overview.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by crab master View Post
    If it worked before something has changed. All it takes is a phone call and an analog phone line can be switched over to digital with a high speed internet connection. All of our customers that have gone to digital phone lines we have no longer been able to connect to there sites consistently, and some not at all, so we added a Xenta 527. You can get the model in the web or the npr, the web gives you a lot more functionality. Attached is a brief overview.

I had a situation not too long ago on a dial-up site. I had been connecting to it for about a year then one day it stopped working. I knew something had changed. I checked my computer, settings and everything else. Went out to the jobsite to do some detective work. I over-heard the IT guys talking about the recent phone upgrade to digital phone lines. That told me something had changed. I went to the phone line that is connected to the CSI controller and connected a regular phone and called myself so confirm the phone number on my caller ID. Guess what?? The phone number had been changed. Once I changed the phone number on my computer, dial-up worked just fine.

I checked with the telephone company and it is an analog line. The modem is a Hayes Optima 336. I'm trying to connect as I'm writting this message. I got a Dial Complete with the I/O Server Icon showing lot of activity. I waited for a while, and then succeeded connecting to the Link. When I tried to connect to a controller, I got a No Reply. I disconnect from the link and waited. The I/O Server Icon shows little activity. I have the CD LED ON on th modem. The I/O Server Icon activity varies. I finally succeed to connect to the link and to a controller. I had to be patient. I have been connected for about 15 now, and it's still working. I fanally managed to connect to both controllers(it's a small site!) I have over there and save the the databases. I have been connected for about an half an hour and all is still going fine. I browed through graphic pages, disconnected and reconnected to controllers, made some changes, no problems. I still think there must be something wrong. Any idea?

What version of I/NET are you running? If it is the latest (I/NET Seven), then you must have a USR V92 56K modem at your remote site as well. A Hayes will not work. If it is I/NET 2000 then a Hayes is okay, but USR is the most reliable with I/NET.

You can go to the I/NET Configuration and select your profile, then click modify, once you’re in the profile verify the Link Type is Integrated Dial and the baud rate is 9600.

You can also check Windows Device Manager and be sure the baud rate for your operator workstation modem is correct. Some of the older modems in I/NET will only work at 4800 or 9600 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by twisted pair View Post
    What version of I/NET are you running? If it is the latest (I/NET Seven), then you must have a USR V92 56K modem at your remote site as well. A Hayes will not work. If it is I/NET 2000 then a Hayes is okay, but USR is the most reliable with I/NET.

You can go to the I/NET Configuration and select your profile, then click modify, once you’re in the profile verify the Link Type is Integrated Dial and the baud rate is 9600.

You can also check Windows Device Manager and be sure the baud rate for your operator workstation modem is correct. Some of the older modems in I/NET will only work at 4800 or 9600 baud.
    HE LIVES!

Yeah - He is alive!

TP nice to hear from you again. Nice to have a guy much better versed in INET on this site. Welcome back.