Polyken for metal ducts?

I'm having a house built, and the HVAC guy is using Covalence Adhesive "Polyken" tape (black 48mm) to seat the joints of the metal ducts. His quote stated he would use 2" foil-backed tape. I'm concerned about this this Polyken tape he's using is just a type of duct tape that won't provide a good seal.

Anyone have experience with this tape? Is it OK to use, or should I force him to switch to the foil tape he quoted?

Thanks,

If I was installing a system for someone, and they went on a internet forum, and started asking about the type of tape I was using....... Id just pack up and leave. Cut my losses right there.

I've read plenty about not using duct tape to seal ducts....and now I see my installer using what looks like duct tape. I've gone to this forum to seek help from others that know about HVAC. That's my problem. Not sure what you're problem is.

Ive torn out alot of old duct systems that were sealed with duct tape and the tape is almost always turned to dust so I never use it. Heard a while back you couldnt use it to be up to code. Havnt looked it up because I dont use it.

If he quoted you foil backed then he should be using it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
    If I was installing a system for someone, and they went on a internet forum, and started asking about the type of tape I was using....... Id just pack up and leave. Cut my losses right there.
    A new system is a huge sum of money for most people so I can see the H.O.'s concern. Would you bid on a job saying one thing and do another?

I think if he bid and speced aluminium foil tape for duct sealing then he should stick to his bid.

aluminium foil tape I have used is far superior to anything else I have used in my opinion ( I may say I have not used every product out there though).
    Once I started using foil I stopped looking for a better product
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

I mistrust adhesives over time. In hot ducts they dry out. Foil tape seems better but I've seen it fail on duct board. I paint joints with high velocity duct sealant. Looks a little sloppy but works.
    Tracers work both ways.

You should be upfront with him about your concerns, duct tape sorta sucks
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

polyken & shurtape

2 different brands of aluminized foil mastic tape. Polyken has grey mastic and Shurtape is black. Only thing I use to seal duct. Peal off backing and he** to get off once applied. Comes in 2 & 4" wide.
    http://www.covalenceadhesives.com/Se...ls.aspx?ID=212
    Last edited by selfemployed; 05-01-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: More info
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back