Thread: Grease gun?

Post Likes

Grease gun?

Buying my first grease gun, definately want pistol grip style. Now, should I go the cheapest or go with a high quality, like Lincoln. And what psi rating is good for us? i read elsewhere pillow blocks and others bearings only need up to 500psi.
    Any insight would be appreciated!

Post Likes
    It's not the grease gun but the grease you put in it. I have a small gun I purchased from Johnstone supply. Grainger will have a gun for you. I suggest buying a flex hose and a few differant fittings to make your bearing grease jobs easier. Fitz...
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    Make sure whatever grease you buy is compatible with the grease in the bearings. Some greases are not compatible with each other. A mid range quality gun will be enough. Flexible hose for those hard to reach places, and a straight solid sometime's useful too.

Post Likes
    I am now a mechanical service mechanic and came from the marine industry (servicing commercial/pleasure).

I have been using the Alemite grease guns for nearing two decades. I carry three on my service truck.

One for lithium based grease for water pumps, one NLGI2 for general purpose and one for Polyurea for electric motors...

The Alemite pistol grip guns have a pressure/volume selector and the don't drool all over the place.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    Whatever you get you will soon hate it. All grease guns suck.

Sent via ESP...
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Jtrammel - "I’m going to sell hvac systems derp derp derp"
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

Post Likes
    What you want is a grease gun with a big handle. You'll need that extra leverage. For the Grease Gun Wars in summer time.

You see, in the heat of summer a time will come when you need a diversion. So you set your grease gun in a hot spot. Preferably somewhere black, in direct sun, and with no air circulation. You want it to get real hot. Then you stand maybe 25 feet apart and see if you can hit your co-worker.

He with the most grease landed on him loses. You may be surprised how far you can shoot grease by hitting the handle real hard and fast.

Post Likes
    I'm getting old and have arthritis in my hands. Last summer I bought 2 battery operated (rechargeable) guns. One for Lithium grease the second for NLGI2. Love them. Still have a hand pump for polyuria don't need it very often

Post Likes
    I've always hated the pistol grip style. I don't care flexible hoses either. Like GT, I've used the Alemite guns for a long time and had great luck with the 500 model, but I learned that they're now manufactured in China like everyone else's, so when I bought another one recently, I went with the Alemite heavy duty model, which is still made in America (at least the last time I checked...).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...f_=sp_dp_imgzm

Extremely high quality, no leakage so far. Allows you to switch between high pressure and high volume.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Harbor freight pistol grip with flexible hose. Don't forget the grease fittings!

Post Likes
    For those of you using flexible hoses, try one of these with a 1/8" NPT x 6" nipple.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41I4arN0ZvL.jpg

They swivel around and lock in place. You get the rigidity of one and the flexibility of the other.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    As mentioned watch what grease you put in it.
    I only use synthetic since it mixes with everything.

If you have ever noticed grease turn to a peanut putter like substance most likely it is because several different greases where mixed.
    Greases have many different bases, aluminum ,carbon, etc, here is a chart that may help you. To know for sure that what you are using will work us synthetic , many contractors skimp and buy cheap leaving a mess behind.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-grease.aspx
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    Thank you everyone for the inputs!