Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Reusing R-22 lineset for R-410a: What should I ask the installer?

I have a 1991 Rheem 2.5 ton A/C and coil. Last summer, it lost all 4 lbs of R-22.

I've got several proposals for replacing it with a new compressor and coil using R-410a. All the proposals specify reuse of the existing 3/4" and 3/8" lineset. The suction line has a severe bend, almost to the point of being crimped, just before it enters the outdoor unit (pic attached). I've also asked that the new unit be relocated a few feet to get it away from the fence and gas meter it is too close to currently.

I've read a lot of stuff on this forum about flushing, nitrogen & brazing, line driers, etc., but I'm having a hard time making sense of it all and what applies to my situation.

The companies I'm looking at are well established and have good reputations, but I don't want to assume anything.
    Could you offer any advice on questions I should be asking about how they intend to flush and reuse the lineset?
    Do I need a line drier?
    Does the fact that my old system has a leak have an impact?
    Is there anything that I need to get in writing?
    Any pointers on how the lineset should or should not look outside after they're done (pics of current attached)?

Thanks a lot for any advice you can give me,
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I would ask the installer to use a new lineset.
    We always install a new lineset unless it is absolutely impossible to access.

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    I would ask the installer to use a new lineset.
    We always install a new lineset unless it is absolutely impossible to access.
    Scott....I gotta agree with this. Where does that lineset go after it enters the wall in the picture?? I have never re-used a lineset from R-22 to R410-A and will hopefully never have to. (I know this is wishing alot) If at all possible that lineset should be changed.
    I need a new signature.....

Twilli says reuse the line set it's job security for the installing company
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Ok, thanks a lot for the fast responses. I will ask them for new quotes to include replacement of the lineset.

With the height that the lines enter the house and where they emerge, I think that they must run straight through the ceiling of the finished basement, about 20' or so. If the lines are anchored in the ceiling at all I'm assuming it would be much more costly to get them out as the only way to reach them is through the drywall? (pics attached)

These dealers who proposed reuse are selling Trane (2 yrs labor) and Carrier (5 yrs L, yrs 2-5 through Carrier). Am I at risk of having the manufacturer's parts warranty or portion of the labor warranty being voided if something fails due to a botched line reuse?

Should R-410a lines be a different size than R-22 lines for a 2.5 ton AC? I would hate to shell out all this money for high efficiency only to undo it with the wrong lines...

Thanks again for any help.

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I've reused line sets many times. Just make sure it doesn't leak. A drier is required on R410a and any contractor woth his salt will take cake of the kink when the re set your new condenser.
    Scooter

UA Local 630
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    RSES
    FL. Class A License

www.enterpriseaire.com

Quote Originally Posted by scooters45 View Post
    I've reused line sets many times. Just make sure it doesn't leak. A drier is required on R410a and any contractor woth his salt will take cake of the kink when the re set your new condenser.
    According to Goodman, re-using a lineset without running r-11 in it voids the warrenty (of a goodman AC), if they can prove it.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by storck View Post
    Ok, thanks a lot for the fast responses. I will ask them for new quotes to include replacement of the lineset.

With the height that the lines enter the house and where they emerge, I think that they must run straight through the ceiling of the finished basement, about 20' or so. If the lines are anchored in the ceiling at all I'm assuming it would be much more costly to get them out as the only way to reach them is through the drywall? (pics attached)

These dealers who proposed reuse are selling Trane (2 yrs labor) and Carrier (5 yrs L, yrs 2-5 through Carrier). Am I at risk of having the manufacturer's parts warranty or portion of the labor warranty being voided if something fails due to a botched line reuse?

Should R-410a lines be a different size than R-22 lines for a 2.5 ton AC? I would hate to shell out all this money for high efficiency only to undo it with the wrong lines...

Thanks again for any help.

Scott

The new unit will be too close the gas meter by code. It needs to be moved away from the meter.

The electrical needs to be run in conduit with a disconnect in sight of the unit.

I don’t see a problem reusing the lines (although I replaced them in my house).
    If you are going to reuse the lines then they need to have driers installed.
    Keep in mind that the contractor is the one that is responsible for the warranty for the first year. Ask for an option on a 5-year and 10-year parts & labor warranty. The warranty I sell is better than the manufacturers brand extended warranty and costs less then the price a of new line set.

The new unit probably has a 12 inch minimum clearance on all sides, maybe more on other sides. Looks like it need to move away from the fence.

Storck - Looks like you've got a tough job to change the lineset. It can be re-used. Make sure they get rid of the kink outside (cut and splice), use driers, triple evacuate, and move the unit away from meter and fence.
    There is a post from a week or 2 back concerning RX11.
    Do a search here for that thread. There is some useful information there.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyair View Post
    The warranty I sell is better than the manufacturers brand extended warranty and costs less then the price a of new line set.

So what you are saying is....doing things right isn't always the best thing when you can buy a warranty for cheaper than a correct install??
    I need a new signature.....

There are several different ways to look at this: "All brand new or R-22" or Keep the existing line set, insist they flush using RX-11 followed by a nitrogen purge and deep evacuation (hopfully the installer has a micron gauge). Make sure they install a filter drying as close to the indoor coil as possible. I'm laughing as I'm typing this wondering if I've been to your house, I live in Loudoun County and run alot of calls out there. According to Carrier anyway, they allow up to 5% mixing of Mineral oil (from R-22) with POE oil (HFC oil). Make sure they pull a vaccum because the R-410A is EXTREMELY hydroscopic (it is attracted to water) and moisture in a refrigeration system will wreak havoc.

The liquid line looks like it's 1/2".

I don't buy into needing to change the lineset. I worked for a Carrier dealer that did nothing except blow the lines out with nitrogen. I only saw one compressor failure in dozens of systems.

But, the way yours look, I would replace them.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

As a Carrier dealer and an early adopter of 410a equipment ( 9+ years) I'll offer up the following. At first we replaced every existing line set when we did a change out with 410a. As time progressed and with input from Carrier factory and Carrier dealers from Anaheim, California, Marlboro, Mass; New Berlin, Wi down to Lubick Texas we can confidently say if you follow proper refrigeration practices there is no downside to reusing the proper sized existiing line set. No runs, no drips, no errors. We also have a lot of rootop condensers on condos that you just aren't going to replace the lineset on and Mr. Everready is still on duty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast