Thread: NCM Upload

NCM Upload

Good day fellows,

I have an NCM that will not upload global data or perform an NC Upload. After forcing an upload twice I get the message "Selected device is not an NC". PMI Revision 9.01c, NCM 350. Has anyone ever encountered this message???

Thanks

Shutdown Metasys

perform a search on your PC for *.tmp files
    delete any files you find

Then search for and delete Globrev.dbf files

Reboot your PC.

O.K. I am not at the site but I do have the recent copy of the data folder. I found a Globrev.dbf file in the "network name".dob folder and in the "network name" folder. I did not find any .tmp files, although I have ran into that issue before when uploads fail right away. So I should delete both globrev.dbf files? What does deleting these files do, don't all data folders have them?

Yes, delete both files and reboot.
    When your PC reboots it should update
    the global file and create a new globrev.dbf
    file. This is almost the same as uploading global
    data.
    Are you sure there is no virus software running
    or if the folder where the database resides has
    been changed to read only.
    Open explorer, go to that folder's properties
    and uncheck the read only.
    The question will come up to apply to all sub-folders,
    answer yes.
    Reboot.

Also, are you sure you don't have a corrupt database?
    Probably need to compile your database again to make sure.

I've never seen your error message.

This may be a dumb question but, are you sure you are selecting the NC under Devices when you're attempting the upload and not in the NC Hardware folder?

Is this your first connection to this NC? Or have you been connected before and have uploaded Global and NC? Is there a onsite archive OWS that is connected and online?

I'd be careful with the Globrev.dbf files, the time stamp determines which to use when you connect, the NCs or yours. Under the net name.dob directory is your global archive data, under the net name floder is your online global data.

If you want to make sure you get the NC's (which you do), you don't want the Globrev.dbf under the net name folder on your PC when you connect.

Many a time I've had to straighten out a butchered-up global because a tech had connect with his laptop, pushed his bad global online (unknowingly by the time stamp), and then uploaded to the archive OWS machine.

Are you sure there is no virus software running
    or if the folder where the database resides has
    been changed to read only.

I am sure there is no software virus software running however I am not sure if the folder is read only.

This may be a dumb question but, are you sure you are selecting the NC under Devices when you're attempting the upload and not in the NC Hardware folder?

Yes, I rubbed my eyes a few times upon reading the message and made sure I had the NC highlited.

Is this your first connection to this NC? Or have you been connected before and have uploaded Global and NC? Is there a onsite archive OWS that is connected and online?

This was my first visit to this site. There is an onsite archive OWS, it was through this OWS that I was logged on to PMI.

Thanks for the tips, I'm going back next week and I'll let you guys know how I made out.

In that case, on the archive OWS, I'd start with a unddl FMS and then burn a complete copy of the Project or FMS directory to a CD or a thumb drive before you do anything else.

Thumbs up

Already done.

Hmm NCM wont upload

Have you checked the NCM error log look for 538 and 529 errors.To rule out duplicate IP addresses disconnect the NCM from the network and go to a non Metasys workstation and ping the IP for the NCM to see if any other devices respond. How many Metasys OWS on the site? You may have a corrupt Global database. In that case Ninax is correct unddl the fms and back it up. Does the datbase decompile without errors? Your next step is to DDL the entire database
    including any GPL or JCBASIC (my personal favorite) and i am not from Canada EY. Are you comfortable with DDL and do you know how to read and fix the errors from the DLT file. Be aware of the consequences.You could end up with a real mess on your hands and it would be Friday that would suck been there done that so....the choice is yours OBE one

GB

O.K. I returned to the site today. Performed a unddlf fms, unddl had no errors. Compared the ddl files to what was online, all seemed the same. Temporarily deleted the globrev.dbf, rebooted the PC, no change, still could not upload NC or Global data (same error message: Selected device is not an NC). Restored the original globrev.dbf files. Re-compiled all the ddl files, no errors, could not get the NC to download. Had to pull the battery out of the NC and cycle it's power for it to request a download. At first, received a message along the lines of: Cannot download selected device. Started consulting my troubleshooting guides, about 15 minutes later the NC started to download and did successfully. Tried to upload the NC and the global data and still received the same error message. Reloaded the NC through WNCsetup. NC would not download. Waited 15 minutes, still would not download. Restarted the computer 3 times and waited about 10 minutes every time, the NC would not download until the third time. Tried to upload the NC and still received the same error message. I'm beginning to think it is the NC. I have a spare and I think I will dowload the database to it and see what happens. It really doesn't matter anymore anyways.. they are planning to replace it with an NAE. Just thought I'd update you guys. Oh yes, before anybody asks, I did remember to compile all the GPL and it is a Single NC with direct connect.

I ran into something like that a while ago.
    Forgot all the details, but I "J9-ed" the NCM back to factory default and that solved the problem