Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duct Hole

Duct Hole

First of all I don't know sh%?$ about this so this is why I'm here.

I bought a new house a month ago and they are now at the ductwork stage... I wnet there yesterday and discover a major hole on one of the duct... about 3'' by 3'' located on an elbow...

this duct is in my garage ceiling which is not heated and the duct feed my loft above the garage.... is there a reason for this hole?? the ceiling will be isolated...

Thank you
    Last edited by genexxa; 04-29-2008 at 01:58 PM.

I'm just a homeowner, and I'm assuming you're talking about a ceiling. I'd talk to the builder/GC and ask him about it. There might be a reason why it's there.

Assuming the house is in the process of being built. The hole could be there for any number of reasons. Gaining access for some reason, or first cut for another duct come to mind. A 3 square hole is nothing in sheet metal work, you probably saw it before they got around to finishing what they punched it for, relax.

pictures....... we like to see pictures of what your talking about. makes understanding it much easier.

whatever it is make sure something is hooked to it or it is sealed before insulation is done.

I've seen this b4

water lines in garage, To prevent freezing, knock hole in duct

And then when system is zoned, not enough heat out there and you get your car washed

There's no reason for a hole to be on an elbow.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    pictures....... we like to see pictures of what your talking about. makes understanding it much easier.

whatever it is make sure something is hooked to it or it is sealed before insulation is done.
    This is where my problem is... I saw the problem for the first time last week... I went overthere 2 days ago and the insulation was all done...

just hope it was temporary.... I can't imagine they left a huge hole like this...

did they sheetrock yet??

easier to pull back insulation than sheetrock to get a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    did they sheetrock yet??

easier to pull back insulation than sheetrock to get a look at it.
    I don't know yet... I'm gonna be there tonight with my camera so I hope they didn't sheetrock!!

Here we go... I have a picture... the picture is not very clear but you can see the hole without any problem... so I guess it wasn't temporary because all the insulation is done... I had to remove a piece of insulation to take the picture...

By the way this is in my garage ceiling which is not heated... and above my garage there's a room... so maybe they did this to make sure that the room floor stay at a normal temperature during the winter.. tell me if I'm wrong...

Thank you

IMO, I see NO useful purpose for the hole. Tell the contractor to replace the elbow. This will be quicker and easier than cutting a piece of metal for a patch, screwing the patch to the elbow, then taping over the patch. A simple taping over the hole is not a proper repair. Do this before the sheetrock is installed......
    I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left....

Duck Hole...... Af LAAaaack!
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

not something i would ever do.....

if they can't justify it make them replace it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast