Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Currently: Denver Colorado area, Previously: East Coast to West Coast + many cities in between.

Question The Best Digital Manifold to have?

Weber . . .

I am looking into all of the digital manifolds/analyzers I can. Seems there is a wide range of opinions regarding them. I wish there were a "Consumers Union" type of organization which would help us evaluate test equipment.

I'm looking for the digital manifold/analyzer which will permit me to most efficiently perform charge checks according to the procedure developed for California's Title 24 program.

Appendix RD – Procedures for Determining Refrigerant
    Charge for Split System Space Cooling Systems without
    Thermostatic Expansion Valves

http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/200...ACM_APP_RD.PDF

You seem to get very involved with test equipment. What is your current opinion regarding the best digital manifold/analyzer?

Quote Originally Posted by weber View Post
    Alex haven't you posted similar threads about this product?

Don't you have a special interest in this product?

I think before it was the stargate something.......

Are you just in the market for a set of digitals and cannot make up your mind?
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Weber . . .

I am looking into all of the digital manifolds/analyzers I can. Seems there is a wide range of opinions regarding them. I wish there were a "Consumers Union" type of organization which would help us evaluate test equipment.

I'm looking for the digital manifold/analyzer which will permit me to most efficiently perform charge checks according to the procedure developed for California's Title 24 program.

You seem to get very involved with test equipment. What is your current opinion regarding the best digital manifold/analyzer?
    Being that I know all about ca programs, and yes I'm very involoved in testing equipment and instruments in the field, I would be happy to give you my opinion.

As of right now, there are only two manufactures I would recommend to a fellow tech who is trying to improve the service they provide.

Digi-Cool and Testo!

Depending on what you are working on and what you are used to using in the field makes a difference in which one would be optimal for you.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Currently: Denver Colorado area, Previously: East Coast to West Coast + many cities in between.

Smile Digi-Cool & Testo are the ones!

Weber . . .

Does either Digi-Cool or Testo use standard type K thermocouples and plugs so any type K thermocouple clamp (i.e. Fluke) can be easily used with their manifolds/analyzers?

For many years and up to now I have not charge checked or typically worked on more that 3 to 4 machines a day. This summer I expect to be working on twice that or 6 to 8 machines a day.

I've been using the simple three hose Robinaire and other manifolds for years with R-22 machines. Then when I started working on R-410A machines a few years ago I started using 4-hose, 4-valve manifolds like the Yellow Jacket Brute with extruded aluminum body.

The forth valve and hose feature is extra baggage unless you are doing a vacuum job on the system, then that feature is great.

I'd really like to know of someone who has used the Testo radio transmitting thermometers. I'd really love to be able to put the radio transmitting temp device in the air handler/furnace R/A and S/A to send wet and dry bulb temps to me while I'm working at the condenser. Have you seen or tried these?

Quote Originally Posted by weber View Post
    Being that I know all about ca programs, and yes I'm very involoved in testing equipment and instruments in the field, I would be happy to give you my opinion.

As of right now, there are only two manufactures I would recommend to a fellow tech who is trying to improve the service they provide.

Digi-Cool and Testo!

Depending on what you are working on and what you are used to using in the field makes a difference in which one would be optimal for you.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Weber . . .

Does either Digi-Cool or Testo use standard type K thermocouples and plugs so any type K thermocouple clamp (i.e. Fluke) can be easily used with their manifolds/analyzers?

For many years and up to now I have not charge checked or typically worked on more that 3 to 4 machines a day. This summer I expect to be working on twice that or 6 to 8 machines a day.

I've been using the simple three hose Robinaire and other manifolds for years with R-22 machines. Then when I started working on R-410A machines a few years ago I started using 4-hose, 4-valve manifolds like the Yellow Jacket Brute with extruded aluminum body.

The forth valve and hose feature is extra baggage unless you are doing a vacuum job on the system, then that feature is great.

I'd really like to know of someone who has used the Testo radio transmitting thermometers. I'd really love to be able to put the radio transmitting temp device in the air handler/furnace R/A and S/A to send wet and dry bulb temps to me while I'm working at the condenser. Have you seen or tried these?
    As far as field friendly, the digi-cool takes the cake.

But recently I have been using my testos more and more in the field.

No digitals can use a K-type due to electrostatic from the refrigerant.

I use the wireless probes on a daily basis, with good results. The batteries need to be high quality and at full potential, to achive the best wireless distance.

I personal perfer a 3 or 4 valve manifold, and think even the testo 523 should have came with it.

My biggest problems with the testos are the german usages and the reaction speed of the meter.

Digi-Cool should be coming out with their new model here very soon, I will most likely be picking up a set of those to give you an honest review about it.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Id say your best bet would be to wait until next month (June) when Digi-Cool releases the new DRSA-1250 analyzer which comes with two temperature inputs and two clamp type thermocouples. Im pretty sure they are the same price as the 1200's.

Shook manufacturing told me to expect the release of the 1250's mid to late june 08.
    HVAC PRO IN THE MAKING
    NATE's:
    Gas Heat Service/ Installation
    Air-to-Air Heat Pump Service/ Installation
    Air Conditioning Service/ Installation

Mastercool DIgital gauges

JUNK, JUNK, and TOTAL JUNK!!!!!!!!!!! Have a set of these. Was starting some units at an apartment complex came a little shower rain and messed them up it would read 1700 psi on low side and 2700 on high side with nothing hooked up. sent them back to Mastercool took 2 months to return. 1 month later have them hooked up to a r410 heatpump and highside reading goes to zero. recalibrate them and still zero. Highside sensor no longer works. Why would anyone make a test tool that you use outside 99.9% of the time that is NOT water resistant. I can understand not being able to put them underwater but a shower rain? Absolutely stupid!!!!!! Have Had a set of YellowJacket Gauges hanging in the van for the last year and a half. TOtally dependable!!!!! I will never buy MasterCool again. Yellow jacket is moisture resistant and shock resistant. Threw the Mastercools in the floorboard and have been kicking them every time I get near them. Do not buy these as factory repair is very slow and will lie to you bout when they will ship back. Digicool has one awesome tech help line, every time I have emailed Digicool I have gotten a return phonecall within the hour and once on the weekend.

I been using the Mastercool 99772 for about 6 months and love them. I have had no problems with them. I do mostly restaurant work no HVAC but plenty of WIB and reach in boxes. As far as being waterproof I have gotten rained on and had no problems. They didn't get soaked but got wet. Love the vacuum sensor and the thermocouple makes taking SH and SC readings about as easy as it gets. Based on my experience I would recommend.To each his own.

Kerreckt . . .

Unlike you I did have a problem with one of the two Mastercool digital manifolds I purchased this last summer.

Upon sending the message below to Mastercool tech support they immediately issued an RMA. I sent the manifold for service/replacement on October 1 but do not have it back yet.

========================
    Yesterday (it was in mid September) when using the manifold on an R-22 machine I noticed that after it was left unattended for a few minutes the high side hose connection at the manifold was leaking enough to have frosted up. Since then the manifold will not read any pressure on the high side. A white residue was left on the black manifold case without any indication of oil being present.

The manifold was purchased earlier during the summer of 2008.
    ==========================

Quote Originally Posted by kerreckt View Post
    I been using the Mastercool 99772 for about 6 months and love them. I have had no problems with them. I do mostly restaurant work no HVAC but plenty of WIB and reach in boxes. As far as being waterproof I have gotten rained on and had no problems. They didn't get soaked but got wet. Love the vacuum sensor and the thermocouple makes taking SH and SC readings about as easy as it gets. Based on my experience I would recommend.To each his own.
    Alex

I hope my good experience with them continues. After reading about the bad experiences I won't be able to look at them the same way again. I will just be thankful for every day of good service they give me and hope I don't have to send them for service.....hope you get yours back in good working order and that they don't give you anymore problems.

you lost me when you said "if you dont abuse them". I cant have anything nice.

Lost my respect for J&B DM-2

After going through the second set of DM-2's just because of dew collecting and or water dripping down the metal hanger stem, I have made a decision to move over to Doug's 1250 model with either stock sensors or order optional clamps.

I have to now put a zip lock baggie over the head to protect against dew or water killing the unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They did however show highly accurate readings if one calibrates to zero psi as instructed.

Name:  BAD HARE DAY!.gif
Views: 256
Size:  10.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JBM1000 View Post
    After going through the second set of DM-2's just because of dew collecting and or water dripping down the metal hanger stem, I have made a decision to move over to Doug's 1250 model with either stock sensors or order optional clamps.

I have to now put a zip lock baggie over the head to protect against dew or water killing the unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They did however show highly accurate readings if one calibrates to zero psi as instructed.

Name:  BAD HARE DAY!.gif
Views: 256
Size:  10.4 KB
    I've had to send 2 of the DM-2's back and will not buy another. They both have failed. The first set stuck on 700 psi and I could do nothing to fix it. The second set would not read anything.

Mastercool digital

I sometimes start 40 ac's a day here in springfield. We install a lot of ac's in apartments. When I am starting 6 units at a time, I need gauges that are very reliable and dependable. When the 99772 quit the first time it was not a rain storm but a very light shower, just enough to settle the dust. The next time I was on a emergeceny call late at night and the high side sensor failed and does not read any pressure. If I cannot hang them in the back of the van with my Digicools and I must "baby" them. then it is a piece of junk!!!! If I pay $500 plus for a set of gauges then I expect for them to be able to take abuse. This is a piece of equipment that is 99.9% of the time used outdoors. I am not into having a gadget that the only reason I bought it was to show off to my heating and air friends. I make a living with my mind and tools and if that tool does not live up to standards then it is a PIECE OF JUNK!!! Digicools have been hanging in the van for the last year and a half. Digicools are made to military specs. I have seen pics of digicools dropped 2 stories and run over by a truck and still worked. Mastercool service may reply quickly but I kept hearing that "oh sorry but we will ship them today" for three weeks after the unit had been there for 6 weeks. There is a reason Mastercool provides you a case for them, they expect you to use them under ideal conditions and once in a while, not hang on the rack like your other gauges. It will be the last time I buy a Mastercool anything!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kerreckt View Post

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast