+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mastercool Digital Manifold/Analyzer

Currently: Los Angeles area, Previously: East Coast to West Coast + many cities in between.
    Post Likes

Question Mastercool Digital Manifold/Analyzer

Who has tried the new Mastercool HVAC Digital manifold?

What are your feelings about it after using it for X time?

Is it worth the money?

Will it last if you don't abuse it?
    Alex

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post

Is it worth the money?

Before spending on that, go with one of the proven. http://www.yellowjacket.com/HVACRPro...l=5&c=33&p=310 JMHO
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Post Likes
    The company that makes the digital yellowjacket puts the same gauge out for about 100.00 less than yellowjacket. I'll do some research and find out who makes the gauges for yellowjacket. I saw it a while back, but can't remember.

T

Post Likes

Smile

[QUOTE=Redsheanazar;1844483]The company that makes the digital yellowjacket puts the same gauge out for about 100.00 less than yellowjacket. I'll do some research and find out who makes the gauges for yellowjacket. I saw it a while back, but can't remember. That would be Doug Lockhardt a member here. http://www.digi-cool.com/
    Last edited by icehouse; 04-29-2008 at 08:53 AM. Reason: wrong link

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsheanazar View Post
    The company that makes the digital yellowjacket puts the same gauge out for about 100.00 less than yellowjacket. I'll do some research and find out who makes the gauges for yellowjacket. I saw it a while back, but can't remember.

T
    Digi-Cool. And they are coming out with a lesser expensive model.
    Of what I have seen, I would stay away from Master Cool. Money better spent is for DG, YJ or Testo. IMHO
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsheanazar View Post

T
    that co. would be digi cool, and they are making lsser (cheaper) gauges and better (more expensive) gauges than the YJ's. the YJ set is kinda middle of the road, and i have a set and love them. i am pretty sure that i wouldn't buy anything lesser than the YJ set that i currently have and just beware of the first generation testo's. they have had some trouble with the gauges sealing internally. but all that is gone with the second generation testo's
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    that co. would be digi cool, and they are making lsser (cheaper) gauges and better (more expensive) gauges than the YJ's. the YJ set is kinda middle of the road, and i have a set and love them. i am pretty sure that i wouldn't buy anything lesser than the YJ set that i currently have and just beware of the first generation testo's. they have had some trouble with the gauges sealing internally. but all that is gone with the second generation testo's
    Unfortunately your characterization of the less expensive Digi-Cools, which incidentally will be the DRSA 1600 as being "cheaper" is inaccurate. The only exclusions that will differentiate the 1600 from the 1200 are the elimination of the selectable 1 to 5 second/Hold option and the high and low pressure reading retention capabilities. Two features that alot of tech's and probably in particular entry level tech's would not utilize anyway. Aside from that the powerhead was left unrevised, it's pure Digi-Cool.

The recall of the second generation 523-v.2 was to address potential refrigerant loss at the hose ports, I am not personally aware of any of the version 2.00 523's [first attached image] that were actually found to be leaking. The second generation 523 v.2.01[second attached image] added a protective skirt around the hose ports and is very easy to differentiate from version 2.00. A later revision to the second generation 523 in the form of a firmware flash, to address update rates resulted in the designation of a version 2.02 - if you're interested the result of that free flash upgrade can be seen in this clip: http://digitalzeus.wordpress.com/200...rmware-update/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicef1rst View Post
    Unfortunately your characterization of the less expensive Digi-Cools, which incidentally will be the DRSA 1600 as being "cheaper" is inaccurate. The only exclusions that will differentiate the 1600 from the 1200 are the elimination of the selectable 1 to 5 second/Hold option and the high and low pressure reading retention capabilities. Two features that alot of tech's and probably in particular entry level tech's would not utilize anyway. Aside from that the powerhead was left unrevised, it's pure Digi-Cool.

The recall of the second generation 523-v.2 was to address potential refrigerant loss at the hose ports, I am not personally aware of any of the version 2.00 523's [first attached image] that were actually found to be leaking. The second generation 523 v.2.01[second attached image] added a protective skirt around the hose ports and is very easy to differentiate from version 2.00. A later revision to the second generation 523 in the form of a firmware flash, to address update rates resulted in the designation of a version 2.02 - if you're interested the result of that free flash upgrade can be seen in this clip: http://digitalzeus.wordpress.com/200...rmware-update/

100% agree!
    After usuing Digital gauges there is no going back. If a tech is going to stay in this field, I would save your money for a "good" set. It is money well spent.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicef1rst View Post

i don't mean to say the lesserexpensive ones are inaccurate at all!! i have the YJ set myself and they are awesome!!! i am looking into getting a second set for back-up use
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes

Is it worth the money?

I've never seen a Master Cool anything that was "worth the money"..........................jmho

Post Likes
    I have several mastercool tools and will have to agree that lately products do lack in quality and customer service has become nonexistent.personally have a set of analog gauges that leak on a regular basis if I don't keep the orings lubed.

weber is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    Alex haven't you posted similar threads about this product?

Don't you have a special interest in this product?
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Post Likes
    I think before it was the stargate something.......

Are you just in the market for a set of digitals and cannot make up your mind?

What is your TESP?

Currently: Los Angeles area, Previously: East Coast to West Coast + many cities in between.
    Post Likes

Question The Best Digital Manifold to have?

Weber . . .

I am looking into all of the digital manifolds/analyzers I can. Seems there is a wide range of opinions regarding them. I wish there were a "Consumers Union" type of organization which would help us evaluate test equipment.

I'm looking for the digital manifold/analyzer which will permit me to most efficiently perform charge checks according to the procedure developed for California's Title 24 program.

Appendix RD – Procedures for Determining Refrigerant
    Charge for Split System Space Cooling Systems without
    Thermostatic Expansion Valves

http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/200...ACM_APP_RD.PDF

You seem to get very involved with test equipment. What is your current opinion regarding the best digital manifold/analyzer?

Quote Originally Posted by weber View Post
    Alex haven't you posted similar threads about this product?

Don't you have a special interest in this product?

I think before it was the stargate something.......

Are you just in the market for a set of digitals and cannot make up your mind?
    Alex

Post Likes
    Weber . . .

I am looking into all of the digital manifolds/analyzers I can. Seems there is a wide range of opinions regarding them. I wish there were a "Consumers Union" type of organization which would help us evaluate test equipment.

I'm looking for the digital manifold/analyzer which will permit me to most efficiently perform charge checks according to the procedure developed for California's Title 24 program.

You seem to get very involved with test equipment. What is your current opinion regarding the best digital manifold/analyzer?
    Being that I know all about ca programs, and yes I'm very involoved in testing equipment and instruments in the field, I would be happy to give you my opinion.

As of right now, there are only two manufactures I would recommend to a fellow tech who is trying to improve the service they provide.

Digi-Cool and Testo!

Depending on what you are working on and what you are used to using in the field makes a difference in which one would be optimal for you.

What is your TESP?

Post Likes

Smile Digi-Cool & Testo are the ones!

Weber . . .

Does either Digi-Cool or Testo use standard type K thermocouples and plugs so any type K thermocouple clamp (i.e. Fluke) can be easily used with their manifolds/analyzers?

For many years and up to now I have not charge checked or typically worked on more that 3 to 4 machines a day. This summer I expect to be working on twice that or 6 to 8 machines a day.

I've been using the simple three hose Robinaire and other manifolds for years with R-22 machines. Then when I started working on R-410A machines a few years ago I started using 4-hose, 4-valve manifolds like the Yellow Jacket Brute with extruded aluminum body.

The forth valve and hose feature is extra baggage unless you are doing a vacuum job on the system, then that feature is great.

I'd really like to know of someone who has used the Testo radio transmitting thermometers. I'd really love to be able to put the radio transmitting temp device in the air handler/furnace R/A and S/A to send wet and dry bulb temps to me while I'm working at the condenser. Have you seen or tried these?

Quote Originally Posted by weber View Post
    Being that I know all about ca programs, and yes I'm very involoved in testing equipment and instruments in the field, I would be happy to give you my opinion.

As of right now, there are only two manufactures I would recommend to a fellow tech who is trying to improve the service they provide.

Digi-Cool and Testo!

Depending on what you are working on and what you are used to using in the field makes a difference in which one would be optimal for you.
    Alex

Post Likes
    Weber . . .

Does either Digi-Cool or Testo use standard type K thermocouples and plugs so any type K thermocouple clamp (i.e. Fluke) can be easily used with their manifolds/analyzers?

For many years and up to now I have not charge checked or typically worked on more that 3 to 4 machines a day. This summer I expect to be working on twice that or 6 to 8 machines a day.

I've been using the simple three hose Robinaire and other manifolds for years with R-22 machines. Then when I started working on R-410A machines a few years ago I started using 4-hose, 4-valve manifolds like the Yellow Jacket Brute with extruded aluminum body.

The forth valve and hose feature is extra baggage unless you are doing a vacuum job on the system, then that feature is great.

I'd really like to know of someone who has used the Testo radio transmitting thermometers. I'd really love to be able to put the radio transmitting temp device in the air handler/furnace R/A and S/A to send wet and dry bulb temps to me while I'm working at the condenser. Have you seen or tried these?
    As far as field friendly, the digi-cool takes the cake.

But recently I have been using my testos more and more in the field.

No digitals can use a K-type due to electrostatic from the refrigerant.

I use the wireless probes on a daily basis, with good results. The batteries need to be high quality and at full potential, to achive the best wireless distance.

I personal perfer a 3 or 4 valve manifold, and think even the testo 523 should have came with it.

My biggest problems with the testos are the german usages and the reaction speed of the meter.

Digi-Cool should be coming out with their new model here very soon, I will most likely be picking up a set of those to give you an honest review about it.

What is your TESP?

Post Likes
    Id say your best bet would be to wait until next month (June) when Digi-Cool releases the new DRSA-1250 analyzer which comes with two temperature inputs and two clamp type thermocouples. Im pretty sure they are the same price as the 1200's.

Shook manufacturing told me to expect the release of the 1250's mid to late june 08.
    HVAC PRO IN THE MAKING
    i-Vu, CCN
    NATE's:
    Gas Heat Service/ Installation
    Air-to-Air Heat Pump Service/ Installation
    Air Conditioning Service/ Installation

Post Likes

Mastercool DIgital gauges

JUNK, JUNK, and TOTAL JUNK!!!!!!!!!!! Have a set of these. Was starting some units at an apartment complex came a little shower rain and messed them up it would read 1700 psi on low side and 2700 on high side with nothing hooked up. sent them back to Mastercool took 2 months to return. 1 month later have them hooked up to a r410 heatpump and highside reading goes to zero. recalibrate them and still zero. Highside sensor no longer works. Why would anyone make a test tool that you use outside 99.9% of the time that is NOT water resistant. I can understand not being able to put them underwater but a shower rain? Absolutely stupid!!!!!! Have Had a set of YellowJacket Gauges hanging in the van for the last year and a half. TOtally dependable!!!!! I will never buy MasterCool again. Yellow jacket is moisture resistant and shock resistant. Threw the Mastercools in the floorboard and have been kicking them every time I get near them. Do not buy these as factory repair is very slow and will lie to you bout when they will ship back. Digicool has one awesome tech help line, every time I have emailed Digicool I have gotten a return phonecall within the hour and once on the weekend.

Post Likes
    I been using the Mastercool 99772 for about 6 months and love them. I have had no problems with them. I do mostly restaurant work no HVAC but plenty of WIB and reach in boxes. As far as being waterproof I have gotten rained on and had no problems. They didn't get soaked but got wet. Love the vacuum sensor and the thermocouple makes taking SH and SC readings about as easy as it gets. Based on my experience I would recommend.To each his own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in