Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post them.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Post them.

I hope it worked (pic post). These are disgusting. Trust me here, I think we change filters above the average person. We've tried high MERV, rock catchers, and almost everything in between over the years. I just dug up a receipt where this EVAP coil was cleaned 2 month's after the 13 SEER OD unit was installed. So, a little over 2 years of a mismatched system caused this? We are embarrassed showing these pictures! If the wife see's this post, I'm a dead man
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I think you got some bypass around your air filter.
    Contractor locator map

I had this same issue on a furnace installed in 2002 that had a 10 seer coil, with a 37 year old 6 seer compressor that was failing. One contractor said the 13 seer into 10 mismatch was no big deal, another said he'd do it but that the mismatch probably would void the warranty. I decided to get the new coil. Ironically I also decided to go up to 14 seer Goodman because it had a Copeland scroll compressor whereas the 13 seer Goodman model had a piston.

A Trial Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by Todd A View Post
    I had this same issue on a furnace installed in 2002 that had a 10 seer coil, with a 37 year old 6 seer compressor that was failing. One contractor said the 13 seer into 10 mismatch was no big deal, another said he'd do it but that the mismatch probably would void the warranty. I decided to get the new coil. Ironically I also decided to go up to 14 seer Goodman because it had a Copeland scroll compressor whereas the 13 seer Goodman model had a piston.
    The matching indoor coil is normally a TXV metered coil.
    Did your new coil have a TXV?

Beenthere & others; An Experimental Trial:

I am wondering how a 2-ton 13-SEER condenser would work on an existing 3-Ton 10-SEER TXV evaporator with a relatively high heatload through the evaporator?

If the total amount of refrigerant was close to a match, would the 2-ton condenser produce its nominal BTUH rating?

Of course, you would have to reduce the heat/gain & the latent infiltration load. What would its latent to sensible ratio be?

What would its EER & SEER be?

Probably very close to the condensers rating with a listed coil match that gives 13 SEER.

Depending on weather or not it has the same fins per inch.

Since its sq ft surface area would be very close to what a listed match would be.
    Contractor locator map

Test results at both ARI & ACCA TVA test conditions

I haven't looked it up, but believe the 13-SEER evaporator would have more wavy & longer fins per inch & therefore less coil unaffected by-pass air, largely due to its more efficient design, than the 10-SEER evaporator coil.(?)

It would be interesting to see detailed test results at both ARI & ACCA TVA test conditions. Should also be tested at different CFM airflow rates through the E-Coil at those two standard LAB test conditions.

Would like to see other opinions.

Which states, or local codes you guys know of, where it a code violation if the evaporator coil is not an official match?

The fin spacing of a 13 seer coil and higher definatly is closer together than that of a 10 seer coil. that is one way that they increase effeciency of the coil. As for the "wavy" fins, they all have this effect to an extent and this only aids to give them stability and rigidity and minimize bending in the force of the airflow. Putting a 13 seer coil on a 10 seer unit only increases the 10 seer unit up to maybe 10.5 seer at best and there is no code violations if that was your concern. Not properly matching a system does not violate codes, it only robs the customer of a properly operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    I haven't looked it up, but believe the 13-SEER evaporator would have more wavy & longer fins per inch & therefore less coil unaffected by-pass air, largely due to its more efficient design, than the 10-SEER evaporator coil.(?)

It would be interesting to see detailed test results at both ARI & ACCA TVA test conditions. Should also be tested at different CFM airflow rates through the E-Coil at those two standard LAB test conditions.

Would like to see other opinions.

Which states, or local codes you guys know of, where it a code violation if the evaporator coil is not an official match?
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-21-2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Removed email address and business info

Re:txv, I dont know, Ill ask my installer. The new coil is an Apen and the condensor is a 14 seer goodman condensor with copeland scroll. they also relocated the condensor closer to the furnace and ran a new lineset which has a shorter run. The old lineset ran through the concrete of my slab house and had some issues. It was alot more expensive than trying to reuse the old 10 seer a coil and lineset, but Im glad i did it.

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Might have more fins on some coils, and not on others.

Some "10" SEER coils, were also made for the 12 SEER that was going to be the min required at one time.

A new 2 ton coil may only have 3.46 sq ft of surface area, depending on brand.
    Were a older 3 ton may have 4.86 sq ft. Depending on brand.
    Even if it has less fins per inch. I can't see it being that much of a loss.
    Contractor locator map

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123