Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just when you think you've heard it all......

Had a customer in here this morning, new account...none of us have ever seen the guy around, and if you've been working behind the counter for any length of time around here, you know pretty much everyone simply because of the way people jump from company to company. He needed a dual capacitor. He knew it was a 440 V 30 M, but he didn't know the second rating on it. He asked my countermate to bring him all the 440 V dual capacitors we had in stock, as if he was going to look at it and be able to tell. He was told that we have a lot of them and that it wasn't going to help him to look at them. Trying to remember what he needed, he paused and thought out loud, saying "Let's see...it's R22...". Well I had to walk down the aisle and bite my tounge....

After he left, my countermate and I looked at each other and said "Oh this guy is going to be a lot of fun." I suggested that we try to get the account closed.....

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    I always thought that u sized those things (dual) by: refrigerant and tonnage.
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

And if you had looked on your shelves. You have maybe 2 different sizes of 30 x something x 440 caps.
    Most likely a 30x5x440. and maybe, a 30x7.5x440 cap.
    You won't find a 80x30x440 cap.
    So what harm would have been done, selling those 2 sizes to him? None.
    Unless you call enabling him to provide better service to his customer then what he got harmfull.

Never occured to you to sell him an inventory of caps to carry.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

As Beenthere said when you limit it to a 30 you only have a few that it can be. Should have sold them to him or walked back and looked for yourself that there wasn't near as many choices as you thought.

Did you know that there are guys who have never worked on single phase equipment? In some areas there are low and high tonnage guys, although the latter are becoming harder to find. I can tell you that I didn't see a piece of single phase equipment for almost twenty years in the business.

wow you guys are tough. i think the "well it's r22..." is the real story here. sounds to me like the guy is an idiot!!!

To me, he sounds like a customer that was not given much help.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't know this tech. As someone else said, he could be a big tonnage guy. Might be able to rebuild a chiller why his eyes closed. And never seen capacitor.

Maybe he's a tech, thats been installing for 15 years, and just starting to learn service. Seems to me, techs should be helped, not hindered.
    JMO
    Contractor locator map

A prime opportunity to sell one of those new multi-tap, universal capacitors.

Yes, I do get the joke of the post, R22 has no bearing on the cap size.
    R2B4BTU

From what I heard, he was offered help...he has been in three times this morning, and has been clueless each time. And it was the "R22" comment that cracked us up. He was given options and he just stared blankly. Help us help you.... People here know that you want help, you come here. I just had to clean up the mess of another local supply house who sized a replacement condensing unit wrong. We take care of people here. But at least have something close to an idea as to what you want and/or are doing.

Yep, he should have written it down. But, he was the customer and having a CRS moment he asked the counterman to bring him what he had within range (440-30/?). You may have had a 5, 7.5, and a 10 on the second range. What would it hurt to hand him three capacitors? He would either pick one and gamble or buy all three to be sure.

He may indeed turn out to be a PITA, but he may not either. Either way, your counter guy didn't do his job a bit better than the customer. Worse in my opinion. I'll guarantee you that customer will be checking out the other supply houses. If you don't have time to hand him three capacitors he know's you won't have the time or inclination to help him with more complicated issues.

If I had a nickle for everytime a counter person screwd up my order even after giving detailed explanation of what I need, I'd have quite a large amount of nickles...

I used to rely on them to have everything I needed when picking my stuff up at will call, now I have to open everything up and double check things myself like at McDonalds.

If I walked into one of the supply houses around here, and didn't have the second value written down. They would be trying to sell me one of those 2000's. And when that didn't work. They'd say, heres one of each, keep the ones you don't use as stock. If you don't want to buy all of them, go get the info.
    They know they can abuse me, because they help me when I have a real question on a product. And because they help, I will buy more things from them.

Now if they posted that they though they should close down the account because I didn't know what cap I needed. And I saw it here, I'd buy elese where.( Do you know for sure this customer doesn't come and lurk here)???
    Contractor locator map

Counterflunky , don't loose any sleep over this. We can all agree, there's going to be a couple of more of this type of person before the end of summer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast