Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just a few comments on unions

I am going to give my two cents on unions my experience only. In 1962 I served an apprenticeship as a maintenance electrician and was never out of work. I went to Vietnam as a helicopter pilot and came back home to work again as an electrician.I served another apprenticeship as a construction electrician apprentice.In 1989 the ibew where I am from started allowing you to be laid off for for just about any reason :thats when I realized that the union was only good at keeping up wages and benefits but you were on you own to get your own job.The union where I am from secretly allows people to be backed door made a foreman and then three weeks later go back to been a regular electrician. I then started working for refrigeration air-conditioning contractors and going to school for the trade. Today I am working for my self doing both ac and refrigeration work also electrical contracting I have a license for electrical.I am interested in hearing feedback on my comments. In the electrical union when you get older and stopped becoming a shop rocket they get rid of you.I know an foreman who got hurt when another worker dropped a heavy object on him when he came back from a workman composition injury he was let go after having work for the company ten years.

I have no clue as to what you are trying to comment on other then something about unions. Add to my confustion the difficulty in reading one long run on paragraph of thoughts and I am really sorry I tried to understand the reason for this thread.

Please; pose a definitive question.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

The first job I had out of a two year trade school was at a union shop. I was told that I would be put into the apprentice program and that was fine with me. Long story short, the foremans sone in law needed a job he had been working at a meat packing plant doing electrical maint, and had "ZERO" knowledge or experience in HVAC and Ref. service or installation. They gave him my job and laid me off due to "lack of work" . The benifits of being in the union are great if you are connected if not you'll always be an outsider looking in. JMO
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

I have no need or desire to be a union employee, I'm not paying some thug to drive around in a nice car and screw over anyone they don't like. There was a time when unions were necessary as in Detroit when the auto workers needed organizational help from the greedy bosses. My mother was a secretary for one of the big bosses at GMC Truck and Coach for 30 years. She told me once during some benifit negotiations the workers wanted GM to pay their car insurance as a benifit. Wonder why cars are so expensive?
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawker View Post
    The first job I had out of a two year trade school was at a union shop. I was told that I would be put into the apprentice program and that was fine with me. Long story short, the foremans sone in law needed a job he had been working at a meat packing plant doing electrical maint, and had "ZERO" knowledge or experience in HVAC and Ref. service or installation. They gave him my job and laid me off due to "lack of work" . The benifits of being in the union are great if you are connected if not you'll always be an outsider looking in. JMO
    While having an edge because of who you know more so then what you know occurs in any type of job, the Unions claim of equality without this sort of thing happening is just total BS. Typical Utopian rhetoric with business as usual being the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    While having an edge because of who you know more so then what you know occurs in any type of job, the Unions claim of equality without this sort of thing happening is just total BS. Typical Utopian rhetoric with business as usual being the reality.
    As usual your puffy lips spew. Hard work works every time

Quote Originally Posted by zzonko View Post
    Tell that to jayhawker, not me. While I too have seen friends and relatives treated with priviledge, as most of us who have lived long enough have, unions claim that this is a condition of merit shops that don't exist under union control of companies. This of course is bull. Now put down the bottle and try to pay attention to who is stating what.

Oh, and stop commenting on my physical attributes. Your comment on my lips is kinda creepy

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Tell that to jayhawker, not me. While I too have seen friends and relatives treated with priviledge, as most of us who have lived long enough have, unions claim that this is a condition of merit shops that don't exist under union control of companies. This of course is bull. Now put down the bottle and try to pay attention to who is stating what.
    Sorry robodough

Havent drank since 1985. I have been here long enough to know that you pop into every union thread like you know something. well from this 38 year in HVAC man you talk it but you do not not walk it. I have been in building and trades for along time now and if you work hard and have the proper skills, and there is work, you will be employed. Tell it to the apprentices

I can do this and you cant

Sorry robodough

Havent drank since 1985. I have been here long enough to know that you pop into every union thread like you know something. well from this 38 year in HVAC man you talk it but you do not not walk it. I have been in building and trades for along time now and if you work hard and have the proper skills, and there is work, you will be employed. Tell it to the apprentices

I can do this and you cant

And when times are lean, it is better to be one of the priveledged. As usual, the likes of you come on trying to deter from what is being talked about against how union bosses behave rather then let the discussion continue without your going off on stupid tangents attacking other members.

Once again, typical union method of operation. Avoid the truth about unions by changing the subject and chasing red herrings.

As far as the photo; nice looking job. As a matter of fact, it looks exactly like the kind of work my company did when I owned a commercial/industrial sheet metal company (merit shop, of course). It really is best if you know what you are talking about and who you are talking to before making stupid commentaries about what you think others cannot do. You do not know me, so stop trying to pretend you have a clue.

Sorry you couldn't handle your alcohol either, but glad to see you recognized your issue and were strong enough to beat that battle.

Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Sometimes those dead horses just need to be dragged back out and beat some more

Did the Union lay you off or was it the contractor who chose someone else?
    Go RCR!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast