Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do I charge???

My friend has referred me to some people that want mini splits put in there houses or garages etc,. I'm not new to the installations and servicing end of it, but I'm new to wondering what to charge?????? Also, how can I get listings of unit price information. When I go to manufacturers sites, they never have there prices listed. Any help would be great. Thanx

pricing should only be at business & marketing
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Sounds like somebody wants to do side jobs.

Start your own company. The apply for pro membership.
    The you can ask pricing questions in the business forum as said above.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I know of a salesman at a supply house who sells these jobs on the side to guys like you. You probably have no liability insurance, workers' comp insurance, dont pay taxes, use your employers vehicle, and undercut the industry. For those reasons alone I think we should all jump in and help you lower the standard of the rest of the industry by giving you pricing as well. Its funny, that salesguy actually called me this morning in a panic to bail him out because of a reefer job his "side job guys" cannot handle. Yeah right. Take a look at the other side of the business. If you think you have the skills and the financials to be self employed, jump in and join us, dont undercut the industry for a few bucks in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1010 View Post
    I'm not new to the installations and servicing end of it
    You are new enough not to know how to price the job.

No harm in it ... it's for a reason. I'll tell you why you don't know how to price it.

Prices are set based on a number of factors.... including:

Insurance

Payment on the service van

Mortgage on the shop

Licensing costs

Training costs

Tool costs

I'll stop there for now...

If you had these factors to worry about, you would know exactly what to charge.

If you do not have these things or at least some of them to worry about, you shouldn't be pricing them.

Wow, you guys sound like you all sleep together. And bring your gages with you. How am I trying to undercut the industry that I'M in???? I don't work for any MOM and POP company with a beat up van that triples my prices to meet my payouts. Nor do I think I'm ready to have my own business either. You all sound like you wouldn't go for extra bucks??? Get the evac. machine outta your asses andstop being so tight!!!

Why not just charge what ever you want? Why ask us?

And gauges has a "U" in it. Mr. jackleg.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Wow, you guys sound like you all sleep together. And bring your gages with you. How am I trying to undercut the industry that I'M in???? I don't work for any MOM and POP company with a beat up van that triples my prices to meet my payouts. Nor do I think I'm ready to have my own business either. You all sound like you wouldn't go for extra bucks??? Get the evac. machine outta your asses andstop being so tight!!!
    OK Fresh Meat.....Loss the Attitude, and you might learn something here.
    After you have read some of the posting, and put your time In, you might come to realize what we say here has some meaning!!!
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

It most certainly is an undercut. You don't understand how all this stuff works do ya?

I agree you are not ready to have your own business. Not even close.

I think "before" you post again, you had better read the rules, especially about respecting other members.Also, this is the largest site on the interent that helps out HVAC techs and Owners.We all look "not favorably" on people doing side jobs, with out training, permits, insurance etc.

who has the time or the engery for side jobs.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    OK Fresh Meat.....Loss the Attitude, and you might learn something here.
    After you have read some of the posting, and put your time In, you might come to realize what we say here has some meaning!!!
    LOL, very well put cracker!

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    who has the time or the engery for side jobs.
    I really agree with this........ I can have all the overtime I want .... what the hell do I need to hack on the side for?

I actually for a long time ran a LEGIT company on the side.... man if it wont kill you I dont know what will....... money was good....... but money is good now because I'm so available for OT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast