Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 21 of 21
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    2,089
    Damm dirty birds.

    When I working for a department store in one of the malls there was a woman who would bring around trays of bread crums. I always wondered if it would be against the law to shot her.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,944
    I can understand the need to get rid of pesky birds that are creating bad conditions, but we need not hate birds overall. When I was a docent for the Baltimore Zoo I worked with a couple of pigeons to show patrons the basic structure of birds. Pigeons are quite the prime example of a bird and are easy to train to fly a short distance on a tether to display a bird in flight. The one I worked with the most was neglected by other docents because she had a habit of pecking whenever she perched on your hand. Even though she did draw blood once in a while, it was worth it because she was such a good showoff with flying in place just above my hand.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  3. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,465
    Quote Originally Posted by snipe70e View Post
    Damm dirty birds.

    When I working for a department store in one of the malls there was a woman who would bring around trays of bread crums. I always wondered if it would be against the law to shoot her.
    Now THAT's a thought!




    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I can understand the need to get rid of pesky birds that are creating bad conditions, but we need not hate birds overall. When I was a docent for the Baltimore Zoo I worked with a couple of pigeons to show patrons the basic structure of birds. Pigeons are quite the prime example of a bird and are easy to train to fly a short distance on a tether to display a bird in flight. The one I worked with the most was neglected by other docents because she had a habit of pecking whenever she perched on your hand. Even though she did draw blood once in a while, it was worth it because she was such a good showoff with flying in place just above my hand.

    I dunno man. I don't have no need for a homing pigeon. If you could get one to fly in pace with your hand, that sure would help with my aim!!!
    True Heavy Metal Geek

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,504
    "When I was a kid on the farm there was a guy down the road that would give me a nickle for every live pigeon I would bring him. I was a master at catching them. I would sneak up the silo at night and shut the door and then go up the inside in the morning and catch them. That was insanity. Wings and feathers everywhere. Then when he had his fill I would shoot them with the 22. I don't think I made much of a dent in the population.

    Now the only birds I shoot are house sparrows. Its the only way I can keep my bluebirds happy.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,944
    Quote Originally Posted by PaysonHVAC View Post
    Now THAT's a thought!







    I dunno man. I don't have no need for a homing pigeon. If you could get one to fly in pace with your hand, that sure would help with my aim!!!
    No doubt about it, you could get an easy shot on a tethered bird hoovering just above my hand. However; if you need help with your aim, I don't think I want to be the one handling the bird
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  6. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,465
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    No doubt about it, you could get an easy shot on a tethered bird hoovering just above my hand. However; if you need help with your aim, I don't think I want to be the one handling the bird
    Very funny, wise guy!

    Pigeons should be easy to shoot. Their not the smallest bird. A lot easier to shoot than sparrows.
    True Heavy Metal Geek

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,944
    Quote Originally Posted by PaysonHVAC View Post
    Very funny, wise guy!

    Pigeons should be easy to shoot. Their not the smallest bird. A lot easier to shoot than sparrows.
    Here's a little background on shooting pigeons and sparrows;

    In an old English publication "Sporting Magazine" came the first mention of trapshooting as a sport. The year was 1793 and live pigeons were used as targets.

    Nineteen years later in 1812 in a London suburb the first live pigeon-shooting club was born. It was called the "Old Hats Tavern". The old hats were used as boxes in order to launch the pigeons. This was when the expansion of this sport first started.

    Evidence shows that trapshooting (in this case live bird shooting) was first contested in this county at the Sportsmen's Club of Cincinnati, Ohio in 1831, nineteen years after the "Old Hats Tavern" in England. Trapshooting with inanimate (clay target) targets was still a half of century away.

    They probably used Passenger Pigeons or Sparrows for targets. Recently, a 1836 sterling silver trophy from this club surfaced. In 1840 the New York Sportsmen's Club held their first championship at live birds. This was the start of the many state shoots in America today. Many early state shoots held pigeon shoots in conjunction with their clay target shoot.
    The term "trapshooting" comes from the old pigeon rings of long ago where the birds were released from ground traps with long cords attached to the trap. The shooter, standing about 28 to 30 yards (depending on the gunners known ability) from the trap, would call “PULL”, meaning the trapper would pull this long cord to release the bird from the ground trap. One of the earliest of these traps (called a plunge trap) was developed by Wilber Parker, one of the brothers who designed and produced the famous Parker shotguns.
    Liberals got pigeon shooting all but banned by 1902. However;

    As far as pigeon shooting today Pennsylvania still allows live pigeon shoots. To this day, several clubs in eastern Pennsylvania still hold large pigeon shoots almost every weekend during the winter shooting season. They attract large entries with large payouts for the winners. The most popular of the contemporary pigeon shoots was held at Hegins, PA on Labor Day. Held for more than 65 years the liberals succeeded in shutting down the shoot several years ago.


    So payson, you'll need to come to my area in order to legally do any pigeon shooting
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  8. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,465
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    So payson, you'll need to come to my area in order to legally do any pigeon shooting

    Actually, there are not too many people in my area that would turn me in.
    Killing Pigeons is considered just A-OK by most people here. Including the elderly!
    Last edited by PaysonHVAC; 04-27-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    True Heavy Metal Geek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event