What would you do?

Finished a 2 year HVAC course and got my first job with a one man operation. I was paid cash at the end of the week, most of the time, sometimes I had to wait a few days to get paid .

I was a good worker I'm always punctual, I'm smart, I listen , I ask questions and I want to learn and make money. He liked me , said I was good and asked me for my advice sometimes on installs, but it was very frustrating working for this guy. He would leave me on job sites without the proper supplies many times, and left me sitting there twiddling my thumbs until he returned.

The past winter was very slow, worked a few days a week, but sometimes he would not call to tell me there was no work and I would be sitting at home waiting for him to pick me up .

So a few weeks ago he sent me to a house (in my car) to install a chimney liner. The roof was too steep and high ,I refused to go up without safety equipment. He installed it, there was no bad blood between us . we get along OK.

I have not heard from him since, I am not interested in working for him anymore anyway. I feel like I have a lot to offer a good company instead of wasting my time with him. BUT he owes me over $600 and is not returning my calls.He doesnt know I have the keys to his van. I though about taking something worth $600 out of his van, but I am not a thief. How do I get my money of this guy?

The right way is to send him a registered letter informing him to pay you your money by such and such a date or you will be pursuing legal action to retrieve what you are due. My way is to walk up to him and inform him to pay up or you will be forced to knock the crap out of him. Another way would be to follow him until he goes on to a roof and then take down his ladder. That one just came to me. Good luck

when i got out of school. the first company i worked for kept telling me "your check is in the mail, it will be there soon" after 2 months of not getting paid...i quit. FINALLY my check came in the mail, i went to cash them and they BOUNCED! haha and i got a charge for the bounced checks. i was pissed at the time because i was fresh out of school and it made me think this whole hvac thing was crap. but i moved on and now i make more than i know what to do with

worked for a body shop and the pay was the same as yours then joined the service it never had to worry about a pay day

You should quickly go to your state workforce commission and file a
    complaint. They will get you your money if at all possible. Do not know
    if getting paid in cash for a few weeks will help though.

Just take your lumps and move on. This person will probably make it more aggravating to collect $600 than it's worth.
    R2B4BTU

I agree. You can call every now and then just to try. Or send a one time professional letter asking for it. But if no luck, oh well. Lesson learned.

I worked for this guy for about a year, it was a cash job so dont think I can file any complaints with anyone. When I get another job I'll see him at the suppliers.

I like the taking away the ladder idea

He always used to rant about how people dont show hin respect and this is what the douche does to me? I thought about just giving the keys for the van to some crackhead or just opening up the doors and leaving them wide open overnight. Theres a lot of money in tools in there.

You could call the IRS and report those cash wages.

It will cost you some, but it will cost him much more.

Do not steal anything- it will bring you to his level.

A phone call with the message "I have keys to your van, and I will be happy to turn them in when I am paid" may do the trick. Do not make threats or imply theft on your message- duh