Where the heck do I start?

Where the heck do I start?

Hello,

Next month Im moving into a five bedroom 100+ year old Victorian in LaGrange, IL. My large gas furnace is working but old. I noticed some of the duct work in basement has duct tape on some spots. I think this guy fixed everything with duct tape.

We would like to replace the unit with a more energy efficient unit. We wanted to add central air at the same time. Someone mentioned they have units that are heat and AC in one? Im not sure where to start? Any advice you can give would be great. Thanks so much.

--Micah

Call a contractor

Look up a good contractor here www.aireserv.com would be a good start.

Call up a few contractors and see what they have to say.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Where to start? Probably insulation & new windows! Love them old houses! Mines a 1910 model.

Freezeking2000 is right...get some eyeballs out there.
    If you can't push; pull... If you can't pull; GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclmnop View Post
    Where to start? Probably insulation & new windows!
    Well said. Old houses tend to breathe, which wasn't a bad thing way back when, but is a bad thing if you're planning on installing modern HVAC. Unless you want an oversized HVAC and massive utility bills you'll want to address insulation, air sealing, and probably windows (although you might want to keep the old inefficient ones for aesthetic reasons) before you pull the trigger on HVAC. For the record, I'm not an HVAC pro, just a homeowner.

On a related note, have any of you pros worked on a mini-duct system (I think also referred to as "High Velocity") before? It seems like an interesting new technology, especially for retrofits like the OP is looking at:

http://toolbase.org/TechInventory/Te...6&CategoryID=6

click my profile...email me. i'm local and i can help.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Quote Originally Posted by PikeyDawg View Post
    Well said. Old houses tend to breathe, which wasn't a bad thing way back when, but is a bad thing if you're planning on installing modern HVAC. Unless you want an oversized HVAC and massive utility bills you'll want to address insulation, air sealing, and probably windows (although you might want to keep the old inefficient ones for aesthetic reasons) before you pull the trigger on HVAC. For the record, I'm not an HVAC pro, just a homeowner.

On a related note, have any of you pros worked on a mini-duct system (I think also referred to as "High Velocity") before? It seems like an interesting new technology, especially for retrofits like the OP is looking at:

http://toolbase.org/TechInventory/Te...6&CategoryID=6
    Not really new.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    Not really new.
    Well, maybe just new to me

Are they any good?

Out with the old, in with the new

If I where upgrading my system in a house that olderI would consider a furnace and condensing unit for heat and cool and a separate cooling unit for the upstairs with duct work it the attic. I am not sure where you live but here in the mid west you can not cool the 2nd floor of a old house with one unit. Heating is usually not a issue.

Just something to consider,

Bill