TRANE vs CARRIER; 13 SEER vs 15 SEER

I am installing a new Heat Pump. I have two quotes: 1 from a Carrier dealer and 1 from a Trane dealer (actually, I also have one from a York dealer but I don't care for the dealer.) The Carrier dealer is a larger company and their quote is about 20% higher than the Trane dealer (smaller 2-man, local, and known to be honest, company) for comparably-sized/featured systems. Any comments on Trane vs. Carrier for 2 ton residendtial units?

Also, is there a lot of actual (skin feel) difference in heating/cooling output between a 13 SEER and 15 SEER unit? (I don't recall the HSPF numbers here.)The cost difference is about $1,500.

Quote Originally Posted by bturpen View Post
    I am installing a new Heat Pump. I have two quotes: 1 from a Carrier dealer and 1 from a Trane dealer (actually, I also have one from a York dealer but I don't care for the dealer.) The Carrier dealer is a larger company and their quote is about 20% higher than the Trane dealer (smaller 2-man, local, and known to be honest, company) for comparably-sized/featured systems. Any comments on Trane vs. Carrier for 2 ton residendtial units?

Also, is there a lot of actual (skin feel) difference in heating/cooling output between a 13 SEER and 15 SEER unit? (I don't recall the HSPF numbers here.)The cost difference is about $1,500.
    Model numbers would be helpful to compare. Trane and Carrier are both great products. You might want to compare the actual efficiencies of the heat pumps, Trane tends to have lower ratings across the board once you get past SEER.

SEER is operating efficiency, no human comfort issues (unless you count the pain in your wallet).

Model #'s

The Carrier 13 SEER quoted is the Comfort series 25HCA324 @ (sorry, but I did not read the rules about pricing.....)
    The Trane 13 SEER quoted is the XR13 @$3,750

The Carrier 15 SEER quoted is the Infinity Series (2-stage comp) 25HPA424 @ (sorry, but I did not read the rules about pricing.....)
    The Trane 15 SEER quoted is the XL15i (Single-stage comp) @ (sorry, but I did not read the rules about pricing.....)

All of the above include a variable speed blower, rework some duct, thermostat, etc.

I'm shying aware from the 2-stage compression (cost and complexity) but I'm undecided.

Help!!!!
    Last edited by ARPA; 04-25-2008 at 02:14 PM.

The Carrier 13 SEER quoted is the Comfort series 25HCA324 @ $x,xxx.
    The Trane 13 SEER quoted is the XR13 @$x,xxx

The Carrier 15 SEER quoted is the Infinity Series (2-stage comp) 25HPA424 @ $x,xxx
    The Trane 15 SEER quoted is the XL15i (Single-stage comp) @$x,xxx

All of the above include a variable speed blower, rework some duct, thermostat, etc.

I'm shying aware from the 2-stage compression (cost and complexity) but I'm undecided.

Help!!!!

You will need to edit out the price quotes, they are not allowed on this board.

The Carrier 13 SEER quoted is the Comfort series 25HCA324
    The Trane 13 SEER quoted is the XR13

The Carrier 15 SEER quoted is the Infinity Series (2-stage comp) 25HPA424
    The Trane 15 SEER quoted is the XL15i (Single-stage comp)

Help!!!!

First, remove the prices, they are not allowed on this forum. Please read site rules.
    Thank you.

I'm not positive. But the Carrier 25HPA4, I thouht was there 14 SEER SINGLE stage heat pump.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Also, is there a lot of actual (skin feel) difference in heating/cooling output between a 13 SEER and 15 SEER unit? (I don't recall the HSPF numbers here.)The cost difference is about $x,xxx.

None of these systems are two-stage

Is the XR13 R-22 or 410a?
    The XL15i is an R-22 system old technology, R-22 is being phased out as of Feb 2010
    25HPA424 is not a 2-stage system, it is Infinity Does it have an FE air handler?

Complete model numbers inside and out would be very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by luckyair View Post
    None of these systems are two-stage

Is the XR13 R-22 or 410a?
    The XL15i is an R-22 system – old technology, R-22 is being phased out as of Feb 2010
    25HPA424 is not a 2-stage system, it is Infinity Does it have an FE air handler?

Complete model numbers inside and out would be very helpful
    Not all XL15i's are R-22. The 4TWX5 series use R-410a and are actually good units from what I read about them as far as ARI numbers go.

Your Carrier dealer gave you the incorrect model number if he/she was quoting an Infinity heat pump. It will appear as 25HNA624 or 25HNA924. If you get the Infinity system, I strongly recommend the Infinity control. Make sure your quote has important things such as warranty and equipment model numbers in writing and in their entirety.

Good luck..

I was told today by a salesman that the XL15i is no longer manufactured, and no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdark View Post
    I was told today by a salesman that the XL15i is no longer manufactured, and no longer available.
    I doubt that... perhaps he meant the XL14i. As far as I know, the XL15i is here to stay--at least I hope it is because I see it as an improvement as far as ARI ratings go. Or he may have been referring to the R-22 XL15i. Some Trane dealers will have confirm this, though.

Trane vs Carrier

Ok, all other things being equal, any "problem" "red flags" or cautions when considering a Trane? (Thanks for everyone's help!)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I doubt that... perhaps he meant the XL14i. As far as I know, the XL15i is here to stay--at least I hope it is because I see it as an improvement as far as ARI ratings go. Or he may have been referring to the R-22 XL15i. Some Trane dealers will have confirm this, though.
    Thanks, I'll post a thread.

This seems very odd...

The xl15i is NO LONGER r-22 only 410a the XL14i is longer made,some many still be around.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!