Taylor 430 Margarita Machine - needs recharging?

Hi, I just got a Taylor 430-12 and freeze times are maybe 3x longer than expected. I noticed that the condenser runs hot at the very top (inlet) but mid-way down, there's very little heat being expelled. The condenser is pretty clean, so does this sound like a classic case of low refrigerant charge?

If that's the likely problem, is there anyone here in the DFW area that handles recharging of this type of equipment? If so, please reply and hopefully we can arrange something.

Thanks!

Alex

Cool

These are known for cracked exp valves so I would advise you to contact your local taylor distributer to get it fixed and running good
    Knowledge comes with experience

thanks for the tip!

update

Got a tech to visit from the local Taylor distributor in DFW. He confirmed the model is 10 years old (1998). He pumped down a vacuum - it kinda held, but did start to creep up some after a few mins. The tech thought it was a toss-up between a leak and residual refrigerant, but since it was late in the day we went with charging it and seeing how it faired for the next 30 days (warranty period for the service call).

I used the machine once prior to leaving for vacation, and it froze room temp mix down in 9 mins, and ran 41 psi low and 255 high @ 75F ambient - all seems good.

2 weeks later, I'm back in town and now it's 30 psi low and 200 high @ 80F ambient and freeze time is 50 mins. So it seems likely it's losing it's charge.

The tech mentioned to look out for compressor oil stains as a means of pinpointing the leak location, but I've been looking don't see any. The sticky foam pipe insulation isn't turning to goo anywhere either (the oil attacks the foam). The tech also said to watch for any oil accumulation in the exp valve plastic cap as an indication the rubber seal was bad. But again, it's bone dry.

I don't know how likely it is, but I did start thinking that if most of the loss happened when it wasn't running, maybe the oil was mostly in the compressor anyway, and could have been a pretty clean leak.

So I'll get a tech out again soon and see what can be done. I'm guessing that'll be to vacuum it again and if it can't hold it, then run some leak tests. Ah, the benefits of ownership...

Cool

I would have your tech psi test it to at least 210 psi and than bubble test all the fittings. Dont vacuum and recharge it unless you've found the leak. On a model 430 Taylor was having problems with the exp valves cracking so you might want to check there. If he psi tests it and cant find the leak with the bubble tester than have him isolate the barrel
    Knowledge comes with experience

Thumbs up fixed - fingers crossed

Thanks for the reply nickellhead, the tech came back today and did a nitrogen charge (to around 400 psi) and sprayed soap solution to find the leak as you suggested. The primary expansion valve was ok, but the E.P.R. valve for the hopper definitely had a slow leak. So he replaced the valve, vacuumed (it held the vacuum this time), and recharged. With any luck it should be a frosty drinks summer!

Cheers

Thumbs up still going strong - 2 years later

Update: still got the machine and after the E.P.R. valve repair it's still working like a champ for the last 2 summers.

Quote Originally Posted by alex870 View Post
    Update: still got the machine and after the E.P.R. valve repair it's still working like a champ for the last 2 summers.
    You just cursed it!!!. BTW charging to 400 psi to find a leak is not needed and could be dangerous...glad it worked out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    You just cursed it!!!. BTW charging to 400 psi to find a leak is not needed and could be dangerous...glad it worked out for you.
    lol

metroplexmargaritas.com

We do repairs on all frozen drink equipment. Please contact me @ 817-488-2727 ask for john

Quote Originally Posted by alex870 View Post
    Hi, I just got a Taylor 430-12 and freeze times are maybe 3x longer than expected. I noticed that the condenser runs hot at the very top (inlet) but mid-way down, there's very little heat being expelled. The condenser is pretty clean, so does this sound like a classic case of low refrigerant charge?

If that's the likely problem, is there anyone here in the DFW area that handles recharging of this type of equipment? If so, please reply and hopefully we can arrange something.

Thanks!

Alex

we also sale new and used frozen drink equipment.

www.metroplexmargaritas.com

Quote Originally Posted by metroplexmargar View Post
    we also sale new and used frozen drink equipment.

www.metroplexmargaritas.com
    he hasn't been back in 4 years. I think he is good. you may want to remove your number and refrain from looking for customers. the powers to be may not agree with your approach.

And I thought to re-charge a margarita machine you poured more Tequila in it !