Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sheet metal fabrication instructional book/video

hello;

i work in the residential industry as a service tech and i am moving into learning installations of furnaces, ac, etc.

i am looking for an easy to follow book for learning sheet metal fabrication

any good ones out there?

thanks in advance

Books are necessary but what's really needed here is a good journeyman.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Books are necessary but what's really needed here is a good journeyman.
    I agree with you : most of the apprentices can’t even read!

What ^^^ said.

I'm not aware of any books/videos on how to work with sheet metal, but if you find some, let me know.

Sheet metal is really an art, and should be looked upon as such. You can get books on how to paint portraits, books on how to write childrens books and probably books on how to do surgery. They all would offer tips, but in the end it is really up to you, your abilities, experience and (in some cases) imagination.

I've got it good: I have a great guy teaching me and I have a great sheet metal guy to whom we can bring in measurements, pictures, explain the situation, what we want to achieve and then we all bounce around ideas.

Unless you're just talking about doing simple transitions for existing ductwork rather than full installation jobs - then that's a bit easier (though not always) and in a lot of cases, all you need is a measure up sheet, and a sheet metal guy to make the transition(s).

Whether or not you have a mentor journeyman present to help you learn layout, these books are the best there is.

http://www.northwaysmachinery.com/pr...ay.asp?cat=143

Try this site:sheetmetalworld.com,Good luck

What an age we live in!

Thanks for the sites guys.

I was curious did you ever find instructional video's for fabricating simple fittings. I've been in the field 18 years but I always paid for my fittings to be fabricated. I didn't mind paying because I always thought it was a waste of time to learn. I would rather pay $15.00 to have the fitting made. I figured I was better off selling the job,getting it done, and go on to the next one. Job's are not as plentiful these day's. So I bought a 6' brake. All the sheet metal guys are 30 - 40 miles away from me now.1 Hour there, an hour back. Gas $4.00 per gallon. I don't even know if you'll get this message. Kimosobee

im glad i had the priviledge of working with an old school sheetmetel worker for my first 6 years . i have been doing sheet metal for 15 years now . just getting into service . theres no book i have seen myself that will replace the knowledge i learned hands on from my mentor . even the ones i had through appreticeship school. good luck with your search. sorry i realized i posted in an aop forum after i went back a page . i tried to delete the post again sorry!

you certainly need guidance of journeyman as many stated, but if you want some readings for preparation, try to find books of leo meyer, can be found in some online secondhand shops like abebooks.com.

the best of his books i know is titled "sheet metal" and contains many things, from setting up tools and workshop to geometries for different applications.

check out the sheet metal shop .com it is a forum like this but for the sheet metal end. and the machinery is very expensive

books can instruct and guide you but nothing will replace good ole hands on and experience.

i agree that you need a mechanic to show you how it is done. and not everyone can layout sheet metal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast