Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HVAC assistance

Wolfbane,
    I believe a bartender makes more money than most HVACR techs. Therefore, you really should consider another industry.

Jabs

Damn, what we will have here is the Doogie Hauser of HVAC. I'm just kidding. I wish that I knew when I was your age what I wanted to do with my life. I love what I'm doing now , but I wish I was doing it earlier.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Twilli says he smarter than alot of pro members
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says he smarter than alot of pro members
    Slatts says Twilli may well have a point
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfbane View Post
    I know the facts, and I would appreciate positive feedback as I already have come so far, and I already need to deal with enough family wise
    You know the facts of a book .....

Are you ready to spend most of your life in crawl spaces , or on roof tops , or in attics with 100 plus degree temps , or in the snow freezing your butt off , or in the rain ? Not everyday is sunshine and 75 .

You might consider the designing part of the trade . Inside and never get dirty . Less spiders and snakes too .

HVAC isnt easy for begginers , and for a couple years you will be scratching your head - especially when you come across electrical issues . Finding a leak , or a dirty inside / outside coil isnt bad , but with electrical bugs - you are either good at it , or you will struggle with it .

As for family issues . What we mean by that is .... you work Late , and sometimes go in early to get someone up and going . There are some businesses who stand to lose alot of merchandise if the Heat/AC is down .

Women get real tired of never having their man home .... and when you have children they miss you and vise versa ..... im just sayin .

Usually the decent paying jobs - get paid good because they are stressful , and you live at work .

We advise everyone what a nightmare the trade is in the field.
    We scare some off.
    Others seem to be drawn to the to it like a moth to a fire.
    And every so often, we get a good addition to the field. Which ever end you decide is for you. Do your best.
    Learning the field end of the trade before becoming a designer or engineer isn't a bad idea.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-25-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Corrected wording error smokin68 pointed out
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Learning the field end of the trade before becoming a desgner or engineer is a bad idea.

Good Luck.

I'd think that would be a great thing....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

LOL..
    I meant isn't a bad idea. I went back and corrected it.
    Thanks for catching that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Hey Wulfbane,
    Stick with it you have made a good choice if trades is what you want to do.
    As a refrigeration mechanic in BC you will be one of the highest paid trades in the country.
    If you excel in this field you shouldnt need to worry about work.
    All that said this is tough trade. It is demanding physically, mentally and will consume a good part of your life. To do it right you need to give it 100% especially during your apprenticeship. Study,work hard, earn the respect of the journeyman you work with, and walk before you run.
    Check out the Jarts pre-apprenticeship coarse offered by the refrigeration union. Its a good place to start.

www.jarts.bc.ca

Quote Originally Posted by cousteau View Post
    Hey Wulfbane,
    Stick with it you have made a good choice if trades is what you want to do.
    As a refrigeration mechanic in BC you will be one of the highest paid trades in the country.
    If you excel in this field you shouldnt need to worry about work.
    All that said this is tough trade. It is demanding physically, mentally and will consume a good part of your life. To do it right you need to give it 100% especially during your apprenticeship. Study,work hard, earn the respect of the journeyman you work with, and walk before you run.
    Check out the Jarts pre-apprenticeship coarse offered by the refrigeration union. Its a good place to start.

www.jarts.bc.ca
    And talk to a financial advisor. The earlier you start putting money aside for later the more options you'll have in later life. Most fridgies I've worked with regret the amount of money they poured over the porcelain over the years. If you do it right by your mid thirties you could be financially independent.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

You will be find alot of info on the net I hope you be able to work in the field while your getting ready if you do I know you stay away from the gofer jobs I am sure you will be great
    check this web sight for head presure control I have seen these controls on refrigeration ,icemachine's never on HVAC yet but do not worry these contols do not fail as much as others http://www.buenosaires.ansal.com.ar/Documentacion/pdfs/90-30.PDF

Best wishes, Jean-Pierre.

When I was 15, I was deliberating between HVAC and architecture. Since then I've done both, in a way. Lots of HVAC and building repair...then I designed and built a structure. Most of the skills it took to build the thing I picked up doing HVAC and building engineer work. I'm not an architect, mainly a tech, as well as into management, and looking at teaching HVAC and HVAC design as future possibles to augment what I'm currently doing.

Lots of possibilities in the HVAC/R field. While you're young, get out and turn wrenches, do windshield time. When you start feeling the years, keep increasing your knowledge (as you'll need to do all along) so you aren't in crawl spaces or attics all day every summer, or freezing your tailbone off on a rooftop during the dead of winter, day after day.

And...as you gain knowledge and wisdom, pass it on. That will give your time in the saddle more meaning than any amount of money.

E me wulfbane - its in my profile
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast