Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HVAC assistance

HVAC assistance

Hey, im Jean-Pierre, I am 15 years old as of sunday, and I have plans to start my career early in the HVAC/R industry. I am graduating in grade 11 with all my required credits and grade 12 courses, I got accepted into the Trades Discovery Program a year early, as with the Career Preperation program, and the Secondary School Apprenticeship program which I will start next year. By taking all those I get into the BCIT preferred waiting list, and I can get into the apprenticeship course they offer even sooner. I have books that I bought from the BCIT bookstore, including GTAC-I(general training air conditioning), GTE 1-7 (general training electricity) from Carrier Corp., and I have a thick textbook called Modern refridgeration and air conditioning. I have an early start, as I see no point in wasting my time with video games, so I have been studying GTAC-I so far, though I sometimes have a few questions. I was wondering if someone would be willing to help me over the chat on this site sometimes. Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.

Good for you, JP. But I think the chat on this site is disabled. You might try emailing those who might be willing to "take you under their wing". Most of the guys here are pretty reputable. (Watch out for that Robo guy though.

...just kidding.)
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

The chat works. Just not easy to find when people are there.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You don't sound like a 15 yr old......watch out for weirdo's in ANY chat room area. Remember this is a public forum, and best of luck in your career. I'm sure one of the established members will want a mini-me.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. Actually just last night I was studying my GTAC book and I got stuck on a concept... Head pressure control. The book says that as the outside temp. is cool, then the condenser capacity drops due to the reduction of sat. temp. and pressure. But I dont understand that sice in the early modules of the book it really kept mentioning that the pressure in the condenser stayed contant throughout, until it got to the liquid M.D, which creates two pressure zones. I understand the part that when you compress refridgerant that the sat. temp. rises, and when you decompress refridgerant it decreases. So this is where I am stuck, there are two contradicting facts that I have been given. One says the pressure in the condensor stays constant as the refridgerant(in this case, R-22)goes from a high pressure, high temperature,superheated gas, to a high pressure, high temperature, subcooled liquid. So how can the condensor capacity change as the outside temperature cools? Is it electronically read, so the compressor doesn't work as hard? Ha ha, this was screwing with my head all night, I thought I would have had nightmares about being compressed and pushed through a tube for the rest of my life... Any help would be welcome, thanks.

the pressure is constant through the condenser ( at any given moment) but a number of things including changes in indoor or out door ambient temp. will cause it to be constant at some other pressure. when the head pressure gets to low typically the indoor coil temp. is also low and to low can cause it to freeze moisture in the air onto the coil fins (blocking airflow). the most common form of head pressure control in this case would be a switch dropping out the condenser fan motor at a given press. which brings the head back up again.
    11 huh? keep it up. if you can stick to your plan you will be wearing diamonds. (but on the other hand you will have to be dealing with "ah sweet mystery of life" here pretty soon too)
    i was born under a wandrin star.

You seem pretty smart and mature for your age, run away from this business as fast as you can, we are underpaid and work too hard

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    You seem pretty smart and mature for your age, run away from this business as fast as you can, we are underpaid and work too hard
    Some of us even drink Beer...........
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

Quote Originally Posted by key View Post
    Some of us even drink Beer...........
    I didn't know that.....
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

AMEN!!!
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Be afaraid.......If you are not you will be........there is no future in this industries.
    It will eat you alive and spit you out like bad milk!!!!
    No job security......You will be only as good as your last service call......don't plan on a family or other life In this business....

Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Don't listen to these guys. Up here, for the next 15 years or so it will almost be impossible to get fired from a job.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Thanks stonefly, I finally get it! As for everyone else, I appreciate your concern, but judging the economy, and knowing that most of the other jobs in canada will be going to China, a trades career is the best place to be right now. I also know that surveys have shown that the "number of jobs in north america are at their highest point", but considering the fact that the guy manufacturing cars for 22 dollars and hour has been laid off, and that two other guys have taken his place with 8 dollar an hour jobs selling the car that was made by some poor 10 year old in china for five cents a day. That is where I am certain that I will never be out of a job. Even though the housing market is going for a dump that doesn't really effect my situation, as I will probably be fixing already installed units, or designing and installing systems for people who are renovating. I haven't done all this without support, and a lot of thought. I have looked at many job offerings across north america, and they vary greatly upon the region. In western Canada, the industry is bustling, and I will have plenty of work when I am through with my schooling and apprenticeship. Another thing I found out from offers around BC is the astonishing wages. Most of it is DOE, but since I am getting an early start, and since I am enrolled in al those career experience programs plus graduating in grade 11 I am sure I will have no problem finding something suitable, and well paying for me. I know the facts, and I would appreciate positive feedback as I already have come so far, and I already need to deal with enough family wise, though I am sure that everybody has some sort of crisis in their family on this forum, It would be great if we could all take that into consideration. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast