Furnace, AC and air filters

As I am going through my search for new furnace/ac, I have had several reps say the I should get a 4 or 5 inch filter (merv 10) with the high efficiency furnace (Trane/Amana) that they have recommended as the filter will keep the furnace clean and more efficient requiring less repairs and maintenance over the long term. The Rheem guy said I could if I wanted to but a regular 1" filter would be fine- why spend the money. Note I am not talking air quality here but the impact of the filter on the furnace itself. Also consider that I will have it inspected/cleaned every year. Comments?

a standard 1" filter would be fine for the protection of the system. that is as long as they are changed monthly. also getting a service contract which include yearly tune-ups is the way to go!

I agree with Pascone 10 a standard one inch filter will be fine just change it once a month. I find a lot of time the pleated 1 inch can cause restrictions with air flow. The 5 inch is not only expensive to install but then you have to accomodate the return air to it as well. The key to the life of a furnace and ac is maitenence go to calls all the time where unit is only a couple years old and looks ancient because it hasnt been maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    a standard 1" filter would be fine for the protection of the system. that is as long as they are changed monthly. also getting a service contract which include yearly tune-ups is the way to go!

Agreed. Just make sure you check and change it regurlarly. Or have somebody do it. Most problems are caused by dirty filters.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

in a properly installed cabinet the 5" media filter will keep the unit MUCH CLEANER for many years compared to a standard 1" filter. plus the 5" filter in the average house will only need to be replaced once a year.

yes, but what can keep a system cleaner than a tech who checks and ensures the system is working properly. Of course a 5" filter will do a good job on the system but a 1" filter will do job just fine. although not having to change the filter is nice with a 5 incher

Quote Originally Posted by yazza View Post
    As I am going through my search for new furnace/ac, I have had several reps say the I should get a 4 or 5 inch filter (merv 10) with the high efficiency furnace (Trane/Amana) that they have recommended as the filter will keep the furnace clean and more efficient requiring less repairs and maintenance over the long term. The Rheem guy said I could if I wanted to but a regular 1" filter would be fine- why spend the money. Note I am not talking air quality here but the impact of the filter on the furnace itself. Also consider that I will have it inspected/cleaned every year. Comments?
    I have to disagree a bit with the prevailing notions.

I recently went shopping for a new gas furnace after my heat pump became more and more useless, even though the 1 inch filters were changed often and it was serviced regularly. When the system was taken apart to install the gas furnace, the bottom of the coil had a layer of fine lint that was like a sheet of felt. Mind you, this was in an 11 year old HP system, but there was NO WAY to clean the coil- it was above the electric heating coils and there is NO access panel to get to it.

I guess there is some kind of static pressure test that could have detected this condition, but I didn't know to ask, and 3 different service companies didn't know, or bother, to offer.

They sure were happy to recommend a new system, though, but instead of a new HP I got a gas furnace and went dual fuel. I know the old HP will give out eventually, but in the mean time, it works better than ever, since now it can breath.

So, yes, I think the extra filtration might be worth it, provided filter replacement is not too costly.

-HF

i don't know what made your system to get clogged with lint. how close is it to the dryer? more that half of my customers systems have 1 inch filters. they are changed regularly and serviced once a year. Some are deff. over 11 years old and clean as a whistle....

this issue seems like were beating a dead horse, every tech has there opinions on IAQ I will have to agree with both pascone and t527ed for different reasons. My dad had two york guard 2 HP's lasted over 16 years with just 1 inch filters they were only replaced due to slow freon leaks. The 5 inch does keep a unit very clean I have seen that. Now this next comment will probably get me in trouble but oh well I will trust other hvac techs opinions over some homeowner with no experience in the trade if your that concerened about IAQ why not install a UV light? And there almost always is a way to get into the coil you just have to take the time and think about how.

yes channel UV lights are great for IAQ as well as what i recommend electronic air cleaners. they each do different thing to clean the air in the conditioned space. however yazza said he was not concerned with the quailty of the air. Just the protection of the system. But you are deff. right

Wink

UV lights are amazing actually seen one installed on a evap coil with mold dirt ect intentionly left as is, 6 months later the coil looked brand new. Electronic Air Cleaners are nice just they require maintence best thing I found was to throw the cells in the dishwasher works like a charm. That reference was not a comment to the original poster either it was to another comment made by a none tech.

we install an electronic air cleaner with disposable filters. no cleaning needed.. what a beautiful thing. only maintenance is to change the filters every 3 months.

Nice must be the april air models out there? Would have to start a new thread or email me whats your opinion on the 24vac EAC's out there?