Thread: Discount for multi-unit replacement?

Post Likes

Discount for multi-unit replacement?

Compressor died on 2 ton, 15 year old Trane (10 SEER?) unit for the upstairs portion of my house. Downstairs is currently serviced by a 3 ton (10 SEER?) 15 year old Trane as well, that is currently in good working order...but for how long?

Question: Is there any INITIAL financial benefit for me to have both units replaced at the same time?

I understand that installing higher efficiency units will save me money in the long run; I am more interested if biting the bullet and ponying up to have both replaced could be cheaper than installing one now, and one in say 3-4 years.

Post Likes
    Are you asking about a 'buy one get a discount' type of scenario?

I'm not sure anyone does that. Certainly not in our area.
    If I buy 1 gallon of gas or 10 gallons of gas, each gallon costs me the same amount...
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdark View Post
    Compressor died on 2 ton, 15 year old Trane (10 SEER?) unit for the upstairs portion of my house. Downstairs is currently serviced by a 3 ton (10 SEER?) 15 year old Trane as well, that is currently in good working order...but for how long?

Question: Is there any INITIAL financial benefit for me to have both units replaced at the same time?

I understand that installing higher efficiency units will save me money in the long run; I am more interested if biting the bullet and ponying up to have both replaced could be cheaper than installing one now, and one in say 3-4 years.
    It is possible to get some consideration. It doesn't hurt to ask.

The problem is that is the labor. Everything else is the same. There might be some consideration if you have very simple systems and they could be installed by a 3-man crew in one day. (As opposed to a 2-man crew for 2 days or a 4-man crew for 1 day.)
    Also, some companies charge certain fees "by the job" such as marketing, warranty, freight, etc. Combing two systems into a single job could slightly reduce these costs.
    Replacing both now will definitely be cheaper than one now and one later. Have you seen the cost of fuel, copper, refrigerant and electricity. Do more now, save more now.

Assuming you get a new 14SEER System, it will be 40% more efficient right out the box than your old 10 SEER system. If you are spending a $125 a month on cooling you will save $50 a month with a 4 SEER difference.

Post Likes
    Best way to find out, is to call and get prices.
    Some companies will, other ones won't. I would imagine, it will be a little less for doing both at the same time. Not much. Your only shaving a little time off of one of the installs.

Sierra Nevada foothills in northern California
    Post Likes
    Everything used to replace your system will be more expensive in 3 or 4 years than it is now. The only consideration is if you are making more off your money in an investment untill that time than you would be paying in increased cost for the system and the energy to run your old system.

Post Likes
    Agree with Beenthere (mostly). I have seen nice discounts on the second unit by smaller shops - one sales call two sales. But just because you buy two units does not automatically guarantee a big discount. Shop around with reputable companies and it will not hurt to ask.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DCayer View Post
    Everything used to replace your system will be more expensive in 3 or 4 years than it is now. The only consideration is if you are making more off your money in an investment untill that time than you would be paying in increased cost for the system and the energy to run your old system.
    Not trying to throw gas on the fire but wouldn't it also be true that in 10 to 15 years from now, the 2nd system would be 3 or 4 years older if replaced now vs. later. The technology changes quickly so I'd have to say wait if there isn't a decent discount. True the initial cost will be more but you may be getting a much better 2nd system for the extra $$$.

I've been quoted prices that are indead discounted the more units I buy. I know the labor is a constant but the profit from the equipment is flexable vs. possibly losing the sale at a later time is my guess.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in