Heat pump question

I'm sure you've hear this before, but I am doing an addition to a 2 story home around Branson MO. that is about 14 years old. Total finished square footage of the house will be approx. 2200. The house is totally electric and originally had a York 3 ton system with forced air heat (fine in summer/cold lower level in winter). I've had several estimates for a new heat pump in the 4 ton, 16 SEER range. These have been from Carrier, Trane, and Amana. I have spent quite a bit of time on this board trying to get an informed idea of which way to go. I understand from the professionals here that installation and after sale service is very important. I have checked references on all three dealers and they all appear to be about the same (OK). I'm leaning toward the Amana (16 SEER, with aspf 4260 multi speed air handler) unit due to the warrantly (dealer also threw in 10 yr. labor) and cost (a bit less expensive). But I don't want to purchase equipment that is going to be a constant headache regardless of warranty. I would really appreciate any advice any of you might have - Thanks in advance - Mark

The ASPF series air handler is the new 5 speed (fixed speed) air handler. It is not a variable speed air handler - that is the AEPF model#. You need the v-s motor to get the best humidity removal out of your dual-speed compressor system.

I would recommend the optional thermostatic expansion valve (TXV) to regulate the refrigerant flow to the indoor coil instead of the check flowrater expansion device provided with the air handler (the "F" in ASPF or AEPF means flowrater). The TXV regulates flow ideally under all cooling conditions. All Goodman/Amana systems are ARI-rated with a TXV. It's less than xxx and well worth it.

Goodman air handlers have a poorly designed 1" filter rack. I recommend a separate media filter cabinet to avoid the aggravation that comes with this poorly designed filter rack.

Best to you.

Please read forum rules, no pricing
    Last edited by HeyBob; 04-23-2008 at 07:42 PM.

mkbb

I would not purchase new HVAC without a var speed blower.

And without knowing the floor plan of your home now and with addition, it is extremely unlikely that you can have balanced airflow for a two story off one system. I would consider two separate systems and as a second choice one system with zoning controls for each zone. Obviously, your ductwork will need to be inspected and sized correctly for whatever choice you make.

IMO

Thanks for your replies. I forgot to mention that the contractor is going to include the TXV (or I think so). As to adequate airflow, you are absolutely correct. The lower level is always freezing in winter. The Amana contractor noted that there may be not be enough return air (both are in the upper level). I wonder if providing and additional return in the lower level would help this problem at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mkbb View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I forgot to mention that the contractor is going to include the TXV (or I think so). As to adequate airflow, you are absolutely correct. The lower level is always freezing in winter. The Amana contractor noted that there may be not be enough return air (both are in the upper level). I wonder if providing and additional return in the lower level would help this problem at all?
    how many sq ft on lower level?

would more return help? yes and ask dealer about two returns...

ductwork both supply and return has to be sized correctly for good airflow....

would it totally solve problem? probably not

Total square feet in each level is approx. 1100. This includes the new addition which will be about 288 per floor. I know that I can't totally solve the freezing lower level, but anything will be better than it is now (my wife uses and electric blanket downstairs in the winter while it's fine upstairs). The cooling with the 3 ton unit was alway fine in summer even though we have quite a bit of glass in the back of the house. I don't imagine having the thermostat upstairs helps much either. Thanks for all of your help - I hate not knowing what I'm doing & I'm totally out of my element here!