Feedback on Heil heating and Air system

hello,

We just purchased a home that needs a new h/a system. We have been pitched a Heil DLX95 series 95% AFUE. This has a 5 ton blower and a lifetime heat exchange 10 yr parts 1 yr labor warrantee.

Additionally, the bid included a Heil Heat Pump 12+ SEER 4 ton split system w/ matched Hi eff A-coil. The heat pump has a 5 year parts; 10 year compressor limited warranty. The spec sheet indicates it comes charged with R-22. Is this a concern since it is being phased out?

Also, is a heat pump even recommended in a colder climate like Iowa? I have heard several people say they don't like their heat pumps because they blow cold air and we live too far north to really benefit from it. Thoughts?

I recognize that most pros on the site say that the quality of installation is far more important than the actual unit, but I would appreciate your thoughts on the above described system as far as quality, reliability, warranty etc. Thank you in advance for your time.
    Last edited by spudster63; 04-23-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: additional info

With a duel fuel system, your HP won't be running at the colder temps, your gas furnace will be. So you won't have the cooler air that those people are complainning about.
    How much it will save you depends, on your utility rates. And how many hours a year you have that the OD temp is above the HP's balance point.
    Your contractor should be able to do a cost comparison for you.

Heil is ok equipment. R22 is being phased out. New equipment won't be using it starting 2010. But R22 will still be made. Will its price go up. Yes. Will R410A's price come down? Does higher demand for a product always reduce its price?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Dual fuel is fine for your climate. Iowa you say? And you admit to being from there? It's OK, I am originally too!

I'd want the "Quiet Comfort" line of heat pumps, model # starts with H. Avoid the cheapies, start with N.

Is a SEER rating of 12 sufficient? I saw other posts where people were indicating 14+. Thoughts?

Hmmm. The bid doesn't indicate a model # for the heat pump...
    Last edited by spudster63; 04-23-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: question

They don't make 12 SEER units any more.
    So it would be a pre 2006 model that they have in stock.

I missed the 12 SEER in your original post.
    Contractor locator map

I'm in Wisconisn, and we have a lot of heat pump installs lined up. I installed one in my house last month, and have only ran the furnace once since then. The balance point can be varied so that your furnace will kick on at warmer temperatures if you want. I would say get the heatpump, even if you only use it 4 months out of the year, that's 4 months you're not burning expensive fossil fuel.

So do you think I should ask for a newer unit or one with a SEER of ?? or higher?

I'd ask them about the age of that 12 SEER.
    A lot of perfectly good 12 SEERs out there and doing a great job of heating. So as far as it only being 12 SEER, thats not a terrible thing.

It could be a typo also.
    Contractor locator map