Thread: Vision Pro IAQ Questions

Post Likes

Vision Pro IAQ Questions

Okay,

After carefully studying the wiring diagrams, and realizing I don't have a wiring diagram for my HP, I decided to hire a Trane authorized service technician to install my new Vision Pro IAQ thermostat.

Guy came out yesterday and was really overwhelmed at the idea. Said he would need to research what I wanted to do and reschedule for another visit... The best thermostat he had installed was a VP 8000...

Here is my set-up: HP is a 2TWX4042B1000AA (installed Jan '06) and my furnace is TUH2C100A9V4VAA, I also have a Tayplus 1 fossil fuel kit. My goal was to use the IAQ to control summer humidity and also install a humidifier later this year for winter humidity...

I also wanted to use the IAQ instead of the external fossil fuel kit, and the technician was pretty nervous. He thinks I may need a new communications board in the HP so the Thermo can communicate with the HP..

I guess Kudos to the technician for knowing his limitations... but I thought the IAQ could run my existing equipment without the TayPlus1...

Can anybody provide any additional information? I need to know what to say to the company when I reschedule, so they send the write talent my direction... (and believe it or not this is one of the biggest outfits in my area).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Derailer View Post
    Okay,

After carefully studying the wiring diagrams, and realizing I don't have a wiring diagram for my HP, I decided to hire a Trane authorized service technician to install my new Vision Pro IAQ thermostat.

Guy came out yesterday and was really overwhelmed at the idea. Said he would need to research what I wanted to do and reschedule for another visit... The best thermostat he had installed was a VP 8000...

Here is my set-up: HP is a 2TWX4042B1000AA (installed Jan '06) and my furnace is TUH2C100A9V4VAA, I also have a Tayplus 1 fossil fuel kit. My goal was to use the IAQ to control summer humidity and also install a humidifier later this year for winter humidity...

I also wanted to use the IAQ instead of the external fossil fuel kit, and the technician was pretty nervous. He thinks I may need a new communications board in the HP so the Thermo can communicate with the HP..

I guess Kudos to the technician for knowing his limitations... but I thought the IAQ could run my existing equipment without the TayPlus1...

Can anybody provide any additional information? I need to know what to say to the company when I reschedule, so they send the write talent my direction... (and believe it or not this is one of the biggest outfits in my area).
    Drailer

Sorry I don't have any information that would help.

However, I'm interested in the IAQ therm. I'm currently having some problems with my new system and one of the other SME's suggested the IAQ. As I understand it Trane and Honeywell both offer this type of control. I'm not sure why my therm (Honeywell 6000) in combination with my VS furnace and it's program options wouldn't provide what I need.

If I may, can you tell me why you're choosing this as appose to other methods of controlling your HVAC system?

Don't mean to hijack your thread ...

Thanks

Post Likes

IAQ selection

I think I have a Trane TS802 thermostat right now.

It does not have the sophistication or software to control my dual fuel system, so I have an external dual fuel kit installed. This kit (TAYPLUS1) is just a bunch of relays essentially, so it is not a very inteligent controller and operates mostly by timers.

The IAQ is capable of programming to operate the dual fuel with a bit more precise control to talyor to my house in my climate and I can adjust things like when the back-up heat comes on, humidity control, lockout heat pump and aux heat at defined temperatures... etc.

I haven't used it, but if you search the web and this forum you can find a lot of discussion about the IAQ. They are reasonably inexpensive, but for some reason not a lot of contractors sell them in my area. So I was forced to buy one online and then pay to have it installed...

Post Likes
    With the IAQ stat and outdoor sensor you will not need an antique duel fuel kit.
    Any competent technician can easily hook this up for you.

Post Likes
    He may be thinking of the new XV's coming out, Trane will be including the EIM built into the furnace.

I am presuming, the IAQ kit model you got is the YTH9421, and not the TH9421.
    If you only got the TH, then it won't work, because you don't have the interface that the IAQ requires to work with any current furnace.

Post Likes
    When you guys talk about humidity control from the IAQ are you talking about controlling a dehumidifier or controlling the HVAC to control humidity?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Either.
    It can send a signal to a VS blower to slow down when the humidity is high while running. It can also do cool to dehumidify. Which is when it runs the A/C and slows teh blower to remove humidity. If its a 2 sage A/C, it only runs the A.C in first stage on a coll to dehumidify call.
    Or, if you have a whole house dehumidifier, it can be used to control that independantly of the A/C system.

The new version coming out, will also serve hot and cold ice tea.

Statements before the tea one, are true.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Either.
    It can send a signal to a VS blower to slow down when the humidity is high while running. It can also do cool to dehumidify. Which is when it runs the A/C and slows teh blower to remove humidity. If its a 2 sage A/C, it only runs the A.C in first stage on a coll to dehumidify call.
    Or, if you have a whole house dehumidifier, it can be used to control that independantly of the A/C system.

The new version coming out, will also serve hot and cold ice tea.

Statements before the tea one, are true.
    Been

Then the IAQ therm has a humidistat built in to determine if the humidity has reached a certain level. then it would test to see if the temp has been reached?

Are these expensive or hard to install ...

Thanks ole wise sage ....

Post Likes
    Weather they are expensive or not, depends on what you call expensive.

The first one, maybe 2, that a tech installs, are hard. After that, they are very easy.
    At first, installer set up, is harder then the wiring. So many options, you have to think twice about what you do and don't want it to do.
    So like many things, it takes a couple installs for the tech to get proficient at installing and setting them up.

Any competant tech can install one though.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    Any competent technician can easily hook this up for you.
    there are some competent techs out there that have not hooked those stats up

the tech should have simply found out what kind of control the owner wanted

taken the instruction manual home for a night, then he would be ready to install it the next day!

as stated once you hook up a few of theses stats and set-up the parameters it becomes "much easier"

Post Likes

IAQ

The IAQ I purchased is a Version 2, with equipment interface module included. The EIM is mounted near the indoor equipment and is where most of the wires connect. Then only 3 wires actually run to the Stat

Post Likes
    The EIM can scare the faint hearted tech.
    Some techs just are not overly competant on low voltage wiring. He may be getting advise from other techs at the shop, or calling tech support.

Thats not meant as an insult to that tech, or any tech.
    Not all pro ball players are good at playing shortstop.

Post Likes

HELP!

Okay,

Tech is carefully wiring unit, based on input here and Honeywell wiring diagrams.

He can't figure out where to connect the defrost wire from the heat pump.

This is a Trane Xv95 with XL14i heat pump dual fuel set up. We removed the dual fuel (Tayplus1) kit, and are using only the EIM. But can't seem to figure out how the EIM knows when HP goes into defrost mode...

Post Likes
    It doesn't know. The "defrost wire" hooks to the furnace, not the EIM.

Its ok for the furnace to run while the HP is in defrost.

Post Likes

Follow-Up

Hello Beenthere,

Thanks for the help with the defrost wire (sorry I forgot the correct term). I will pass it along to the technician. {it will be interesting to see the bill.... this was their third tech to attempt install and he had never done one before either.... so at end of job he said he would not charge for all of his hours because it was good learning experience}

[QUOTE=beenthere;1838505]
    I am presuming, the IAQ kit model you got is the YTH9421, and not the TH9421.
    QUOTE]

Yes, I purchased the YTH9421C1002 thermostat, and an outdoor sensor.

Okay a few more questions about set up:

The XV95 is a two stage furnace and the XL14i is a single stage HP. I the setup, how many stages of heat should I select (1,2, or 3). The tech recommended "1" because he thought the stat could call for heat from both HP and furnace at the same time... does this sound correct?

I can post some of the specific settings if interested...

Post Likes
    You have 2 aux/back up heat stages, so that is what you set it for.

Then there is a section in the manual for dual fuel set up that tells it when you want the HP to lockout and the furnace to take over.
    Read the manual carefully. Then read it again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You have 2 aux/back up heat stages, so that is what you set it for.

Then there is a section in the manual for dual fuel set up that tells it when you want the HP to lockout and the furnace to take over.
    Read the manual carefully. Then read it again.
    I would set the aux heat as 1 stage, then set the stage timer on the furnace as low as it will go. With dual fuel, you do not want the furnace to run for long periods of time on low fire, as it keeps the heat pump from running. Probably doesn't make a huge difference, but if you bought a heat pump, you might as well use it.

Post Likes
    Set the CPH up right, and that won't happen.
    Plus you can set up 3 ways for it to determine when to switch from HP to fossil and back again. Using the timer defeats some of the IAQ's advantages.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in