Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PDA Devices

I guess I'm a Luddite.
    I use a spirex pocket notebook and carry 2 biros.
    The batteries never go flat, thieves don't want it & the files never get corrupted.
    If I drop it in water it'll dry and the info in it will still be accessible.
    I always write the date including year at the start of every entry. I've got a collection of notebooks covering the last 6 or 7 years.
    My 5 year old mobile phone has about 100 contact name and numbers in it. I keep a laptop in the van with reference info and access programs in case I need it.
    I think PDAs are an over priced potentially fallible status symbol. Most mechanics I know have large thumbs that don't take kindly to small keyboards.
    Of course I could be wrong
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    I guess I'm a Luddite.
    I use a spirex pocket notebook and carry 2 biros.
    The batteries never go flat, thieves don't want it & the files never get corrupted.
    If I drop it in water it'll dry and the info in it will still be accessible.
    I always write the date including year at the start of every entry. I've got a collection of notebooks covering the last 6 or 7 years.
    My 5 year old mobile phone has about 100 contact name and numbers in it. I keep a laptop in the van with reference info and access programs in case I need it.
    I think PDAs are an over priced potentially fallible status symbol. Most mechanics I know have large thumbs that don't take kindly to small keyboards.
    Of course I could be wrong
    That's funny I still carry my trusty notepad and stolen pen I don't keep my old notepads long because I transfer the info onto my PC, as well I have the benefit of all old workorders and invoicing at my disposal here.

Because I'm commercial/industrial, and C/I revolves around written quotes, I'm looking for a way to transport my ability to present formal quotes in a instant, instead of waiting to get to my desk and print, fax or email something off my PC. Costly and time consuming. The ability to quote quickly will get the job immediately much more often. Laptops/Notebooks are a pain to me. If I can find another route, and a PDA might be that, I'll look into it.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    That's funny I still carry my trusty notepad and stolen pen I don't keep my old notepads long because I transfer the info onto my PC, as well I have the benefit of all old workorders and invoicing at my disposal here.

Because I'm commercial/industrial, and C/I revolves around written quotes, I'm looking for a way to transport my ability to present formal quotes in a instant, instead of waiting to get to my desk and print, fax or email something off my PC. Costly and time consuming. The ability to quote quickly will get the job immediately much more often. Laptops/Notebooks are a pain to me. If I can find another route, and a PDA might be that, I'll look into it.
    yer self gruntly. Perhaps you might like to look at a tablet PC.
    With handwriting recognition it would give you the best of both worlds.
    I'm talking about the ones where the screen pivots round to cover the keyboard so the whole screen becomes the input device.
    You can run access, excel, word and your connectivity stuff from it.
    When you feel the need for a full size keyboard you just pivot the screen around the other way.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12