Siemens Insight Integration using Bacnet Server

Has anyone used the Siemens Bacnet server available from Siemens that installs on the Insight workstation to integrate to 3rd party (bacnet capatible) system? I am using a third party gateway that has the ability to communicate with BACnet/IP servers using the BACnet "Who Is" command or using the IP & BACnet ID.

It appears that the Insight PC is running the BACnet client and server services I just don't have the detailed configuration setup needed to get my gateway to communicate to it.

Thanks,

-John

Insight Bacnet

Did this a while ago with a Siemens tech and was pretty involved. After you get the Bacnet Server configured and running, you need to export the points you want exposed to the server.

First off, keep in mind that you'll need Insight licenses to use BACnet client or server if you don't already have them. BACnet client is pretty cheap considering Siemens would like to take over control of 3rd party systems. However, the BACnet server license is more expensive for the opposite reason.

If you already have Insight, I'd suggest reading the "Getting Started" help file section on "Setting up BACnet". It has some very good information in there.

If you're trying to set up BACnet client to integrate a 3rd party system into Insight... Providing your BACnet gateway device is BACnet/IP, you'll need:

- BACnet client license
    - BACstac protocol installed and bound to your LAN connection
    - the network and instance number(s) of the device(s) to which you are trying to connect
    - a BACnet BLN created on your system profile with a filter set for the devices' network/instance number(s)

From there, you'll need to depress the "Auto-Discovery" button on the system profile that looks like a green telescope (or a hairy pickle depending on your eyesight) and then click the "Who-Is" button that looks like a person and a question mark. Give it some time to discover the device(s) and then refresh the system profile. The device(s) should now look like yellow panels under your BACnet BLN.

Again, this will probably make more sense if you follow along in the "Getting Started" guide.

If you're trying to use BACnet server:

- you need a BACnet server license
    - BACstac protocol needs to be installed and bound to your LAN connection
    - take note of the network numbers in the BACstac protocol when you are configuring it (configuration is covered in the "Getting Started" guide)
    - a user account needs to be created in Windows and Insight for the BACnet server service to use to get information
    - this user account can use access groups to limit the amount of information it sends out over the wire
    - the BACnet server service needs to logon as that account
    - Open User Accounts and click the Insight Account tab.
    - From the Account menu, click BACnet Export. The BACnet Export dialog box displays.
    - In the First Device Instance No. field, enter the First Device Instance Number. You'll need to know which instance numbers are in use on the network before you enter this number. Click Export and then OK.
    - To save information about exported points to a comma-separated value file that can be imported into Excel, reopen the BACnet Export dialog box, and then click CSV File.
    - Restart the computer.

Again (broken record), the "Getted Started" guide will explain it better than I can.

This is great information, I will go back to the ever famous "Getting Started" guide and go from there.

Thanks,

-John

Will the BACnet server only export BACnet points from BACnet/IP based controllers on the network or can you also export objects from non BACnet/IP controllers that are in the Insight system?

-John

Quote Originally Posted by jad568 View Post
    Will the BACnet server only export BACnet points from BACnet/IP based controllers on the network or can you also export objects from non BACnet/IP controllers that are in the Insight system?

-John
    The BACnet server option will send information directly from the Insight database using the BACnet protocol. Since the information is coming from the database instead of the field panels, the mode of communication and type of panel does not matter.

It now looks like I was able to export the points as BACnet objects however when I run a "Who Is" from my third party gateway nothing responds. So my question is, where do I get the BACnet information that my gateway needs such as IP Address (I'm assuming this is just the Insight PC IP), the BACnet Device ID, Network ID and the port number if it is different than 47808.

-John

It now looks like I was able to export the points as BACnet objects however when I run a "Who Is" from my third party gateway nothing responds. So my question is, where do I get the BACnet information that my gateway needs such as IP Address (I'm assuming this is just the Insight PC IP), the BACnet Device ID, Network ID and the port number if it is different than 47808.

-John
    Go to the properties of your LAN connection. You should have an entry for Cimetrics BACstac in the list. If you don't see it in the list, check the "Installing the Cimetrics BACstac Protocol" section of the "Getting Started" guide.

Once it is in the list, ensure the box is checked next to the protocol and choose "Properties". You should see the Network and Port numbers in this section. Make sure you are using Physical BACnet/IP... you should not have an entry for Virtual or BACnet Ethernet.

You might be able to use the "BACnet Object Browser" from the System Profile Tools menu to see your network info... not really sure about that one though.

OK so I now have that configured and all services seem to running however the BACnet sever does not seem to be available on the network.

OK so I now have that configured and all services seem to running however the BACnet sever does not seem to be available on the network.
    hmmmm... That's tough one. Are these devices on different IP subnets? If so, you'll need to configure a BBMD (covered in the Getting Started guide) in each subnet for the devices to communicate.

If that's not it, there's a bunch of things that could be holding you up. You might want to run through the Getting Started guide for "Setting up the Network" and "Using BACnet Server" just to make sure everything is configured properly.

There's also a "Troubleshooting BACnet" section in the Getting Started guide that might be some help.

Yeah they are on the same subnet so I just need to dig a bit deeper...