Goodman and Amana
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Goodman and Amana

I am presently doing the search for a Furnace/AC or Heat pump and have had a Goodman and an Amana proposed to me. I have read through the forum and there are slight differences between the units and warranty's yet it seems most people seem to be wary of Goodman while having generally positive comments about Amana. Does the Goodman equipment come off the same assembly line as the Amana equipment? So aside from some differences in parts, Amana/Goodman should essentially be pretty similar units. Would I be right in my assumption? Assuming I get a great install, should I purchase Amana rather than Goodman equipment and pay the price.

Some of the Goodman cheerleaders can tell you more, but I believe any Amana in which the model number begins with G is a rebadged Goodman, and model numbers that begin with A are not.

Oh man...this will be a long one. I personally install and sell Gooodman and Amana. Both are very good units and both are very reliable. Before this turns into another huge thread I think what you should be doing is comparing install companies instead of equipment. Pick your equipment based on the needs of you and your family....pick your installing company based on what kind of service they will provide. You are not the first to come on this site wanting to compare brands....as pros we will always tell you to be warry of your installing company....your new equipment will only be as good as your installers. As far as being warry of Goodman...no need...it's as good as any equipment out there if installed properly. And it can also come with ten year warranties.....now, if a company was selling crap equipment do you think they would warranty it for 10 years??

But this is just my opinion....you will DEFINATELY hear alot of opinions on this thread!
    I need a new signature.....

Just depends upon what you want out of equipment. All makers have low end and high end. In the case of Goodman, the Goodman and Amana Distinctions skew low end, the Amana is high end. An example is the outdoor units.

GSC13
    Many sizes use recip compressors, scroll 3.5 ton and up
    Stamped top, hang a fan motor, cheapest way to do it

ASC13
    100% Copeland scroll
    Heavy compressor cover for sound reduction
    Heavy duty top and venturi for sound reduction
    2 speed fan motor, extra sound reduction in mild weather
    Compressor protection switches
    Copeland Comfort Alert diagnostics module tied in with pressure switches to lock out the compressor in event of problem, saves compressor

Obviously the Amana will cost more. Most HO's are cheap and will want the Goodman but some will spend the extra on Amana. Not all manufacturers have such a difference between lines but if you look around, you'll probably see more low end or builder models being installed.

What consumers should be most aware of is that in the comparison that mr. Baldloonie has used, both units will produce the same amount of cooling for the same amount of energy usage.

If you want 13 SEER efficiency and the location of your outdoor unit is not so that sound is at all a factor, it would be more frugal to have the Goodman branded system insalled.

Aside from sound level features on those compared products, the other features that the Amana brand has are beneficial to the service technicians.

Then again, there is a possibility that some of the better made components of the Amana brand may last longer then the Goodman brand components, even though the two brands carry the same warranty on that particular comparison.

I am only thinking that it may not be necessary to pay for more then you actually need.

As a homeowner, not an HVAC pro, with a new Goodman heat pump, I offer the following:

- Upgrade from the 13 SEER to the 14 SEER. All 14's have a Copeland scroll compressor and better EER, HSPF, and btu performance.
    - Go with the optional thermostatic expansion valve (TXV) on the indoor coil. The TXV regulates refrigerant flow to the indoor coil to provide optimum cooling under all conditions. It's a $ option that's well-worth the price. All Goodman systems are ARI-rated with the TXV, and not with the flowrater piston supplied with the unit.
    - Goodman has a 10 year parts warranty. I would consider an optional 10 year labor warranty to match.

Best to you.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 04-22-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Edit out your upgrade price. You don't know what the OP's contractor charges for that upgrade.
    Thank You.

By now you should know the rules.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by yazza View Post
    I am presently doing the search for a Furnace/AC or Heat pump and have had a Goodman and an Amana proposed to me. I have read through the forum and there are slight differences between the units and warranty's yet it seems most people seem to be wary of Goodman while having generally positive comments about Amana. Does the Goodman equipment come off the same assembly line as the Amana equipment? So aside from some differences in parts, Amana/Goodman should essentially be pretty similar units. Would I be right in my assumption? Assuming I get a great install, should I purchase Amana rather than Goodman equipment and pay the price.
    I recently purchased a Goodman system. See the following quote from the Goodman Literature:

High-performance Copelandฎ Scroll
    Compressor with Lifetime Limited
    Warranty

They also offer a limited lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger.

My OD unit (SSX16) has the Copeland scroll. I can't answer about Amana as I went with the Goodman. They offer a more high end solution than Goodman. It just like Chrysler products. You could get a Chrysler, Dodge, or Plymouth. They were all made by the same folks. One offers some options that the other didn't. When you buy Amana you get a Goodman out of Houston.

Goodman was offering a free warranty upgrade to include 10 years labor on the OD and ID units. I don't know if that is still being offered.

My installer sells Goodman as well as Trane. He said he doesn't sell much Trane anymore as there are little functional differences between the varying offerings. He said that Trane as well as other have very good units. However, he feels that a well installed system is more important than a poorly installed high end one.

Just my 2 cents ....

Quote Originally Posted by yazza View Post
    The Goodman and Amana furnace are made in the same factory in Houston with the same material and by the same people. Functionally they are decent equipment. However they are NOISY. There is very little difference between the furnaces. There are more differences between the condensers. Some of the Amanas have more bells and whistles. A lot of the Amana condensers are still made in the original Amana factory (before Goodman bought them out).

Thank for the info. The reason for the question was one contractor offered me an Amana furnace/AC while another offered the Goodman saying that Amana is just a Goodman and that they can just change the label- no difference. He also said that the Generaliare humidifier was an Aprilaire and both were made in the same factory-no difference. As a consumer I do recognize that there are chevys and there are buicks but nowadays the waters are muddied by the manufacturers who do the rebadging with no actual change to the product except an increase in cost to make the product "seem" to be greater in value. I am very grateful to all the professionals on this site for being such a wonderful resource to the consumer.....thanks!

I think WHO puts it in is much more important than WHAT they put in. Spend some time researching the contractors in your area. That's what is going to save you money and headaches in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyair View Post
    The Goodman and Amana furnace are made in the same factory in Houston with the same material and by the same people. Functionally they are decent equipment. There is very little difference between the furnaces. There are more differences between the condensers.
    Amana, SS primary HX.
    Goodman, anodized aluminum primary HX.

Big difference.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Amana, SS primary HX.
    Goodman, anodized aluminum primary HX.

Big difference.
    Not all Amana furnaces have stainless steel heat exchangers.
    At least that is how they were being made when they let me bend some tubes on the factory tour. Their specs do not call for stainless steel on all their units. It's best to compare acutal models instead of blanket generalizations.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast