Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

IQ Drive vs Infinity

Been reading for hours and hours on this site. Great information, but I still have questions. I'm looking to replace my AC/Oil heat system with up to date equipment. I had two quotes one for the Infinity 24ANA1, and the IQ drive by Frigidaire (no model specified). Both did manual "J" and came to same conclusion - four ton and variable speed furnace fan. I tried to get a third estimate but never got a call back even after a second call. Actually three people never got back. I'm sure they must be very busy.

In addition to the current system being 20 years old, I have high humidity. Previous advice to let system cycle with fan on auto has helped somewhat but still high. Both quoted units look to be a possible answer to my humidity. From what I've read the IQ drive looks the most appealing but I'm still not sure I know all the facts about both units.

Any input about these two units would be appreciated.

infinity all the way

The Infinity should alittle more beacause you r getting alot more than Frigidaire. 2 stage, communicating, micro tube, 21 seer, quiet, all metal with rock gaurd, back seating valves, forward swept blades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack2007 View Post
    Been reading for hours and hours on this site. Great information, but I still have questions. I'm looking to replace my AC/Oil heat system with up to date equipment. I had two quotes one for the Infinity 24ANA1, and the IQ drive by Frigidaire (no model specified). Both did manual "J" and came to same conclusion - four ton and variable speed furnace fan. I tried to get a third estimate but never got a call back even after a second call. Actually three people never got back. I'm sure they must be very busy.

In addition to the current system being 20 years old, I have high humidity. Previous advice to let system cycle with fan on auto has helped somewhat but still high. Both quoted units look to be a possible answer to my humidity. From what I've read the IQ drive looks the most appealing but I'm still not sure I know all the facts about both units.

Any input about these two units would be appreciated.
    Do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by mannyleonard View Post
    The Infinity should a little more because your getting a lot more than Frigidaire.
    Wrong there Bro IMO, there is no "Condenser" period on the market today that even comes
    close to the IQ Drive Maytag or Frigidaire, and in 2009 Nordyne is stepping up to the plate
    with something that will make the Infinity system look like a lego system.

http://www.contractingbusiness.com/2...se/67949/Issue
    Last edited by Mr Bill; 04-19-2008 at 11:29 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

maytag

Thats right in 2009, He is talking about today, this year, maytag asked me to sell their equipment and told me I would have to drop Carrier, I told them make a Decent quiet unit and get competive and maybe we will talk. Didn't maytag buy the name off miller or am I mistaking. I think Carrier has stepped up to the plate more time with 1 product than maytag has in the existence of all products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Wrong there Bro IMO, there is no "Condenser" period on the market today that even comes
    close to the IQ Drive Maytag or Frigidaire, and in 2009 Nordyne is stepping up to the plate
    with something that will make the Infinity system look like a lego system.

http://www.contractingbusiness.com/2...se/67949/Issue
    Do it right the first time.

I think Carrier has stepped up to the plate more time with 1 product than maytag has in the existence of all products.
    Does that plate stepping include that wonderful Millenium Compressor technology?
    They hit a home run with that one didn't they?
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I cannot comment on the IQ system as I have not seen one run. But I will tell you that I have been in the biz for 11yrs and when I installed a new system last year I had the pick of the roost and could have installed any forced air system on the market, I choose a Carrier Infinity Dual Fuel system. Absolutly love it. By the way I work for a Trane Dealer.

Thats right in 2009, He is talking about today, this year, maytag asked me to sell their equipment and told me I would have to drop Carrier, I told them make a Decent quiet unit and get competive and maybe we will talk. Didn't maytag buy the name off miller or am I mistaking. I think Carrier has stepped up to the plate more time with 1 product than maytag has in the existence of all products.
    Never heard of such a crock, we have sold Maytag and Carrier for the past 7 years together. I have not sold any 23.0 S.E.E.R. IQ drives , but have seen some run in Fort Worth area,they are very quiet and keep steady no matter how hot it gets outside! 105*+

As far as Carrier Infinity systems we have sold more than 100 complete , designed systems last year,with less than 1% call-back rate.
    The INFINITY is hard to beat, and savings in our area are running from 45/53%.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Jack2007,

As you probably know the IQ is an inverter drive system and is a copy of the inverter systems used by many Asian manufacturer for decades. In fact, the compressor is made by Panasonic. Inverter technology is what the the rest of world has been using for some time now as they have much higher energy cost then we do here in the US.

If you are really interested in this type of system, as it is the top of the heap for top comfort systems, check out the systems by Daikin VRV-S, Sanyo Eco-i Mini, and Mitsubishi City Multi S. These manufacturers are often thought of when considering a mini-split, but these are not mini-splits rather fully modulating split systems.

These are heat pump systems which, depending on your energy cost, should be the cheapest way to heat your home. If supplemental heat is necessary, they can work with that too.

Unlike any US system, these can have multiple indoor units connected to one outdoor unit. Each indoor unit is a zone and the more you have the greater your comfort will be. The air handlers are very small, making it easy to tuck them away. This will eliminate the need for over sized complicated duct work, which is one area least understood be contractors. Depending on how many indoor units you connect to the outdoor unit, system capacity can go higher than the nominal rating and operating efficiency is maximized.

These systems do not have SEER ratings as they are smallest in the commercial lines and there are so many indoor/outdoor combinations to choose from. But, they are very efficient as you can see from comparing EER ratings.

The entire system is handled by a single controller that you can be tuck away in a closet while each zone will have a small match book sized temp sensor. Each zone can have its own temp settings and even be completely turned off when not needed (can't do that with the typical zoned system).

With the highly sophisticated controls, component failure is rare as it will shut itself down when operating parameters are outside the norm. Protected from self destruction, Daikin claims an expected life of 20 - 25 years.

The Infinity should alittle more beacause you r getting alot more than Frigidaire. 2 stage, communicating, micro tube, 21 seer, quiet, all metal with rock gaurd, back seating valves, forward swept blades.
    Nordyne bought the right to use the Maytag name, Maytag doesn't do anything with central systems.

The IQ system is modulating. The Infinity is 2 stages.

Carrier and the other big names will be playing catch up to the IQ abilities.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Nordyne bought the right to use the Maytag name, Maytag doesn't do anything with central systems.

The IQ system is modulating. The Infinity is 2 stages.

Carrier and the other big names will be playing catch up to the IQ abilities.
    I've seen the iQ system in action; it's quite impressive.

The price point is steep, which will keep the iQ from gaining wider acceptance until that point drops, IMO. Rising energy costs may help drive sales a bit, but mainly if the price point is not also driven up by these same costs. I'd love to have one in my home, but kind of hard to justify the cost for an 1,800 square foot house.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    I've seen the iQ system in action; it's quite impressive.

I agree, I went to one of there classes here in Houston a few months ago and I agree impressive to say the least. Isn't it funny that when we old school folks "Like me" did not accept NATE or other supposedly industry new achievements or advancements I am a "old school fool". But now when you have something like the IQ technology brought to America by Panasonic and they incorporate that technology into the Nordyne products and they become the flat out leaders in Condenser technology, no one wants to accept that. Don't believe me, just attend one of there classes if you ever get a chance, this thing is miles ahead of anything out there right now, and the person that said this thing was loud, well obviously he has been Blue Oval or Trane washed or just flat out don't know what he is talking about.

Carrier has had research and development going into variable speed products, for longer than many manufacturers have been on the market. They introduced Puron in 1998, have been using it in their equipment ever since. The Infinity system is on the cutting edge and is their top of the line.

There would be no question in my mind, it would be Infinity all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by 4jime View Post
    Carrier has had research and development going into variable speed products, for longer than many manufacturers have been on the market.
    I agree "anyone" can have research and development going on but it's still not a variable speed leader by no means, unless you can that compressor that had to "STOP" to change speeds modern technology, Carrier should say thank God for Copeland or they would have nothing in Compressor technology.
    Yea, I am sure most of us remember that Millenium Compressor technology.
    Last edited by Mr Bill; 04-20-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast