+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Hack Builders - just TRY and replace this unit! I dare you...

Post Likes

Phoenix Hack Builders - just TRY and replace this unit! I dare you...

My guys call and say "We can't install this. The sales rep must have not looked in the attic." I drove by to see why we couldn't replace a 4 ton air handler.

The ENTIRE home has a vaulted ceiling. So. Where do you put the air handler?

Well. Let's built a REALLY small closet for an attic. Upright.

And let's CRAM an air handler in there.

That's 40 inches tall. And crammed up against the roof! No way to fit a modern 4-ton heat pump air handler in there!

And how are we going to get the old one OUT? That's a really small attic access. Too small for any air handler nowadays.

That's it, that's the whole attic.
    No room to lie an air handler down.
    No room to put a new one in.
    No room to get the old one out.
    For goodness sake it's crammed between the trusses. It's touching the roof.

Did you think to ask WHERE the supply connector is?
    I couldn't see it! ! ! !

There also was no room for a secondary drain pan.
    In fact the primary drain didn't have room, they had to cut into the roofing supports to make room for a drain line.

This was also just wonderful design by the builder: right outside the master bedroom.

Thanks. Whoever you are.
    There's a whole subdivision of this out there.
    Last edited by rifter1; 04-18-2008 at 01:15 AM.
    This is what happens when I take photos of things OTHER than bad A/C installations:
    Arizona. Photographed: http://community.webshots.com/album/563042864aIFjqw

Post Likes
    and then lets put the cu under that overhang. Nice install

Post Likes
    Did you instruct the sales person that they must smoke their crack pipe with their mouth not their rectum.
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Post Likes

WHAT! Ok what are the cross streets for that masterpiece?
    I'l fix it if it takes every penny you have got!

Post Likes
    nice i have seen some tight ones but thats crazy they actually built the wall around the unit? where are your supplys? the return is small for a 4 ton unit i would think. good luck and you say there is a bunch of them how did is pass inspection..

Post Likes
    The more I see your WOS posts, I will not consider working in AZ. I may retire there, but even if HVAC work is plentiful, I'll never even mention what I do for a living.
    BTW, I lived in Yuma for 4 years on active duty Army at YPG & my sister & BIL live in Globe. I love it out there, but I had no idea how bad the installs were. I would change occupations if I lived there.

Post Likes
    what part of phoenix is this??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by azdwight View Post
    WHAT! Ok what are the cross streets for that masterpiece?
    Expensive area actually.

The "Lakes". In Chandler. Between McQueen and Cooper on Warner.
    Imagine a subdivision built around artificial lakes in a desert.

Expensive. Nice work hey.
    This is what happens when I take photos of things OTHER than bad A/C installations:

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by haustek View Post
    The more I see your WOS posts, I will not consider working in AZ. I may retire there, but even if HVAC work is plentiful, I'll never even mention what I do for a living.
    BTW, I lived in Yuma for 4 years on active duty Army at YPG & my sister & BIL live in Globe. I love it out there, but I had no idea how bad the installs were. I would change occupations if I lived there.

You can make a ton of money if
    (a) You are professional and provide excellent quality and service and
    (b) don't hire anyone local ! ! ! Pretty much.

Especially architects and custom home builders find they cry a lot, and beg for anyone who knows what they are doing. If you gain that kind of rep, you are set. I know from the ROC inspectors --!!! I've had long talks with some of them (in several parts of the state) they tell me this. The HVAC contractors with good reputation don't advertise, don't have logos on their vans, and are BOOKED.

The few. The proud. The strong. Etc.

Please don't ask why I have had converstations with Registrar of Contractors Inspectors from all over the state. (State contractor board). Thanks.
    Last edited by rifter1; 04-18-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by manny238 View Post
    what part of phoenix is this??
    Chandler. The Lakes. Between McQueen and Cooper on Warner. Moderately expensive subdivision. I asked the homeowner AND the neighbor who the builder was -- neither knew. Trees are established... maybe 20? years old I'd guess.

Post Likes
    Oh...

And notice...

Next to the sliding glass door... the 3 holes in the stucco? The old disconnect. The condenser has ALREADY been replaced... the previous guys decided to go condenser-only due to this install. Now the customer wants R410a so we have to replace the whole system.

The only answer is to create some new ductwork and move the whole air handler to the garage. And then frame it all in later.

I knocked on the neighbor's door and asked them what they did when they had to have a new unit and they showed me -- expensive. Move the whole air handler and return and supply and electrical to the garage. That's all you can do. Leave the old unit in the attic. You can't get it out anyways.

Post Likes
    LOL.....I used to live on cooper and warner....I know just exactly where that is too....worked on a couple units in that area....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jddilligaff37 View Post
    nice i have seen some tight ones but thats crazy they actually built the wall around the unit? where are your supplys? the return is small for a 4 ton unit i would think. good luck and you say there is a bunch of them how did is pass inspection..

Every return in this greater metropolitan area is too small.
    This is normal here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by manny238 View Post
    LOL.....I used to live on cooper and warner....I know just exactly where that is too....worked on a couple units in that area....

Yep. North side of Warner.
    The funny thing was talking to the neighbor who said how much they paid to have their unit moved. I knew exactly what we needed to charge. Easy quote.

Post Likes
    Looks like time for some multi evap. mini splits
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    What I would like to know is what did the salesman say when you showed him the pictures and who got the comision you or the salesman.

Post Likes
    Makes you want to take the sales person out to the desert and bury them..... alive. With the fire ants.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Post Likes

mr. payson have anything to add?

you guys in AZ never cease to amze me!!! no way am i ever going there to work!!
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Hey Manny where you at now? I am constantly upsizing returns or adding returns on my sales calls. So so many here have inadequate return air.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    Looks like time for some multi evap. mini splits
    Exactly what I was thinking lol.
    To get the degree symbol ° on Windows hold down the Alt key and type 0176 or 248 on the keyboard number pad. It is also available via the character map, and on Windows 8.1 devices with a touchscreen via the on screen keyboard.

There is no "E" in either BluVac or Blu-ray Disc.

If you are the type where the painting is more important than the frame, or you just like movies, join me in listening to the widescreen.org podcast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in