Thread: Mammoth compressor change-out

Post Likes

Mammoth compressor change-out

I have to replace a 40 hp comp. on a mammoth rtu on a 4' curb.
    no room to install a rig to lift and slide out. open to any suggestions as far as rigging.

Post Likes
    Would a cherry picker work? One like you would use on a car engine? used on on a 80 ton Mcquay unit with some sucess. Had to put down plywood to roll it accross the roof though.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac248 View Post
    I have to replace a 40 hp comp. on a mammoth rtu on a 4' curb.
    no room to install a rig to lift and slide out. open to any suggestions as far as rigging.
    That would be called 'creative field engineering'. Got any pics or a little better idea of what you have to work with? I once pulled a 40 hp supply fan motor out of a McQuay RTU and set in a new one that was about 14' off the roof deck. We started at about 5 AM and had her running again before 11 AM. No crane, just old school ghetto fab rigging, chain falls, some oak boards, plywood, and a few highly talented folks I had the privilege to work with.
    Mike

Post Likes
    I got a cordless sawzall and 5 extra batteries, think that'll do? As for getting the new one up, well, at the Home Depot I hear there is a lot of cheap labor.....heh heh heh! Like turbo said, get some pics and I think there are probably enough creative heads looking to get you there.
    We aren't service engineers, we are service re-engineers!! Work is what you make it, have fun.....

Post Likes
    Used a multi fold ladder (kinda like a little giant) standing at about / angle wth the last section locked horzontal and laying with a foot of it on top of the unit. Layed some 4 x 4s across the rungs to spread the weight. Same size compressor, but only a couple feet up. Worked fine. Its been a bummer since I lost my anti-grav's.

Crummy drawing, but you get the point, use common sense and be careful. And remember cable, chain, whatever WON'T slide even on metal with that kind of weight on it. Dropped a 60 ton once cause my buddy wouldn't take my word for this. He believes now cause the beam we were using creased his pumpkin head on the way down, when he tried to swing it into position.
    Last edited by Coolmaniac; 04-17-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Post Likes
    I have pulled 115 HP motors out of vaneaxial fans with 2 Little Giant ladders and an I beam /traveling block several times.

I have changed 06E Carrier compressors with a piece of 2" rigid conduit and a couple of cable hoists.

Like Turbomaster says ghetto fab rigging.

Post Likes
    IMHO,
    If you're unfamiliar with rigging, get a local crane/rigging company out to give you a price with them knowing you'll work with them. They'll have all the gantries, plywood, etc., you'll need.
    Getto rigging (I've done it) is for the experienced. Not for learning.
    jogas

Post Likes
    My favorite trick is to use an I beam and use the new compressor as a counter balance. New compressor on one end, old on the other. Pick with crane in the center. When lifted clear, drift both to the side and spin. Slide it back in and lower into place.

Post Likes
    Heavyevans, great idea, I'm going to try that at the next opportunity!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the007 View Post
    I got a cordless sawzall and 5 extra batteries, think that'll do? As for getting the new one up, well, at the Home Depot I hear there is a lot of cheap labor.....heh heh heh! Like turbo said, get some pics and I think there are probably enough creative heads looking to get you there.

Hehe you gotta watch out for that 'cheap' labor at the home depot. My insurance agent told me last week a whole lot of workmans comp claims are coming from those guys. She even said it put a roofing contractor she works with outta business.

Post Likes
    That size compressor sounds like an ultraline unit, with the compressor located in the center compartment. Typically there are two compressors in there I think. You will probably need two points to lift from, one to get it into the vestibule, and one to set it on the steel. You "may" be able to open up the roof and span it with a piece of pipe and lower a choker through a six inch square hole, with your chainfall attached there. Be more specific about the unit type.

Post Likes
    Can you remove the overhead condenser fan assembly and set it thru the fan orfice with a crane truck from the ground?
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomaster View Post
    We started at about 5 AM and had her running again before 11 AM. No crane, just old school ghetto fab rigging, chain falls, some oak boards, plywood, and a few highly talented folks I had the privilege to work with.
    Mike

If the boss won't flip for a crane, that's pretty much the way to do it.

Find out where the local heavy construction guys shop. You should be able to pick up a length of 3"X4" I-beam, some straps and clevis' and a couple of used chainfalls in good shape on the cheap, also grab some rope, a couple of lift-eye bolts and a good size pry bar. Maybe a couple of C-Clamps too. Not much you can't move with that setup and two guys.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    That size compressor sounds like an ultraline unit, with the compressor located in the center compartment. Typically there are two compressors in there I think. You will probably need two points to lift from, one to get it into the vestibule, and one to set it on the steel. You "may" be able to open up the roof and span it with a piece of pipe and lower a choker through a six inch square hole, with your chainfall attached there. Be more specific about the unit type.
    Thanks flange, I sould have included Ultraline unit just been swamped with comp. replacements that were bid last fall,no one wants to spend money till the last minute.

Post Likes

compressor removal

hvac-
    I've replaced several compressors weighing over 500 lbs. and setting high off the ground. I make a wooden box and sit it on a four-wheel dolly. I measure the box and dolly to be even with the height of the bottom of the compressor then just slide it onto the box and then you just have to figure out how to get it down to the ground level.

Post Likes
    well with a hydraulic lift table on a moon buggy,a couple of unistut trolleys and a lot of unistrut mission accomplished old one out and on the ground new one on springs crane gone 3 1/2 hours The best thing NO back pain.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in