+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bootable Flashdrive

Post Likes

Bootable Flashdrive

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyevans View Post
    A few years ago, I was becoming really annoyed trying to run DOS programs designed for the FAT file system on my new machine with NTFS file system. I didn't know about the virtual software. So I thought about running the DOS programs on my USB flash drive. After several long nights, I found a nice HP flash drive utility that makes the USB drive bootable. It makes the flash drive file system FAT and copies the DOS files from an installation disk. I moved the files for Siemens' CIS and UCIS to the drive. I then placed the USB drive into my machines boot order and plugged into a panel. It worked perfectly. I later installed Trane's UPCM and it also works. I can still use the flash drive for storage and I haven't had any problems so far.
    Heavy,
    Sorry I hi-jacked a quote from one of your previous posts, but it's the reason for this topic. After a couple of nights of work, I've been able to create a bootable flashdrive that boots up on my Dell Inspiron 6400(after tweaking the BIOS). I copied UPCM edit to the flashdrive and got it to load!
    My question is, how do you handle the port connection issue? My Dell has no com port and I'd have to use my BlackBox USB/com port adapter. Would that work? I don't have any controllers laying around to try it on, hence my question.
    BTW, I used FAT32, and Win 98 boot files. The F: drive comes up as C:, but UPCM did load.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Am I going down the right road?
    If this works out, I'll load all my legacy software on bootable flashdrives.
    jogas

Post Likes
    My machine is a Dell Latitude D810 with a com port. I didn't have the problems you are facing. But I will definitely look into it. And yes, I used Win98 and FAT32 with my flash drives. You are booting directly to the flash drive so in DOS it will be the C: drive.
    Heavy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyevans View Post
    My machine is a Dell Latitude D810 with a com port. I didn't have the problems you are facing. But I will definitely look into it. And yes, I used Win98 and FAT32 with my flash drives. You are booting directly to the flash drive so in DOS it will be the C: drive.
    Heavy.
    Thanks for a great idea, and any info you might come up with that'll help.
    Yeah, after I posted and thought about it, it did make sense...DOS vs. XP, Duh.
    I've contacted BlackBox about a possible DOS/USB driver availability for the BB #UC232A USB to Com port adapter I use.
    jogas
    Last edited by jogas; 04-17-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Post Likes
    Not good news from BlackBox:
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Thank you for contacting us. The UC232A or any of our other USB to
    serial converters does not have DOS drivers. DOS programs are looking
    for hardware address and IRQ which will not exist in USB communications.
    __________________________________________________ ________

It's not looking good so far.
    jogas

Post Likes
    jogas, After researching a little bit, your BIOS/motherboard/system should recognize your Blackbox converter as a serial port. That is assuming the Blackbox device is very good at doing what it was designed to do. Convince your machine it's a com port.
    That being said, I don't have your hardware to play around with. If it doesn't work, I would probably flash the BIOS with every firmware version I could find for your machine to see if the different versions work.
    New machines with serial ports are becoming harder to find. The Dell Latitude is the only one I am aware of. If I want to continue using the flash drive like I do. I'll need a converter that works.
    Heavy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jogas View Post
    Thanks for a great idea, and any info you might come up with that'll help.
    Yeah, after I posted and thought about it, it did make sense...DOS vs. XP, Duh.
    I've contacted BlackBox about a possible DOS/USB driver availability for the BB #UC232A USB to Com port adapter I use.
    jogas
    http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in