Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Closing Threads

Closing Threads

Is it me or is the door getting slammed on more threads quicker than ever? I have not been around long so my sample period is not a wide one.

I wish the moderators would let some of these silly posts run out a little while. Not because I am trying to pick up free DIY info but because I learn more from pros ripping into posters with misguided facts then I do from pros telling other pros “Brand X stinks, Brand Y kicks but” ect.

Separate issue…As for home owners wanting to do some of there own work, everyone should be more tolerant… (Read further before you fire off a reply…please…)

There are clearly different levels of DIY:

I mow my owe lawn and trim my own hedges, does that make me a DIY landscaper, and should I stop and call a pro?

I like to change the air filter and plugs on my car. Heck I even do the breaks and change out starters. I will not swap out a transmission or rear ends because I do not have the proper tools and I do not have the experience to tackle that type of job. In those cases I take the car to the shop (or have them pick it up-ugh)

Now as for HVAC, I change my own indoor filter. I hose down my outdoor unit once a month (weather permitting). If I am in the basement and feel what seems to be a draft coming from an old seam in the duct, I tape it. If the black foam cover that keeps the cool line from the compressor to the coil insolated looks like it might be getting loose I tape it down. I do not mess with the wiring to the unit (I like my hair slicked back not spiked). I do not mess with the R-22 in the lines or unit (I know it is poison to my lungs and to the environment). I will not open my compressor unit (fan meet hands, no thanks…)

You get the point, DIY is not black and white it has a large span. With common sense (something that is lacking more and more in the USA) and some elbow grease one can get a lot done without risking ones body or equipment. I am not saying let people post step by step DIY instructions for all to read (hello lawsuit) but when a DIY starts with “can I do XYZ and save myself some money” Rather than closing the thread and screaming “read the rules” explain to the person that the posed question is dangerous to the person or equipment. Even more fun, tell them why the question has zero common sense and why they are being foolish. It gets funny...very funny...

I truly do believe more information helps all of us. I also think more people will see that pro’s save $, time and maybe even a life or two if they know what risks are really out there.

I think it is unfair to lump all DIY into one bag and toss it to the side. I have read the rules. I think the rules need expansion.

You are on a "private" web site whereas the rules clearly state "no" repair/fix DIY questions are allowed.
    If some seem to last longer than others, it is just luck and the moderators didn't catch it in time.

All must remember, this is a site for the Pros in this industry. Home owners or non professionals in the field are allowed to ask / post about general information only.

I'm not as against DIY as I may seam.

But, with 1000's of people being able to read the replies. You don't know the skill level of everyone that can read the answer, so some may think a procedure applies to their unit, when it doesn't.
    This could cause problems you have not thought of.

Next, we don't mind sharing our knowledge, to an extent.

But why should we tell you how to do more repairs yourself, and cut out the income of another tech in your area.
    If you think that won't happen, or they won't mind. Call a local copmpany during regular business hours, and ask them every question you have asked here. Plus all the questions you saw that weren't answered because the threads were closed. See if they tell you everything you want to know for free, or if they tell you they have to tend to paying customers.

Keep in mind, we do, DO this for a living.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Dang, admin beat me by a minute.
    Contractor locator map

You miss the greater point. Pros will make more money and get more work if they explain why DIY has more risks than reward. I am not saying you should help people who are clearly over their heads; tell them why they are being silly and /or risky so all will learn.

I know the site is a private one, again letting DIY run on for a while will just help the pro’s end goal…more business from people and it will also expose more hacks who want to be pros and are not

Thanks for the site, despite my small issues with rules, I do enjoy it and have learned a ton. FYI – I do agree with the pricing rule, it would cause more problems then it would solve.

Ok.

Reason not to DIY.

If you screw anything else up. You'll be paying to fix more things then needed if you had called a service company in the first place.

take care.
    Contractor locator map

I for one, am happy to see some of these threads are closed rather abruptly. Three more reasons to not DIY are number one, bodily injury/and or death. Number two, in our litigeous society, people will sue at the drop of a hat. You can spell it out in great detail, yet there will be a few that don't grasp the concept. Number three, it's a possibility you could burn down the building. Not saying
    it's the case with you.
    Last edited by the dangling wrangler; 04-17-2008 at 05:17 PM.

Well. There have been a couple that I think were closed to fast.
    I had a couple of really good replies about no DIY, and when I go and click on submit.
    Benny, Heybob, or who ever, closed it while I was typing. LOL
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I for one, am happy to see some of these threads are closed rather abruptly. Three more reasons to not DIY are number one, bodily injury/and or death. Number two, in our litigeous society, people will sue at the drop of a hat. You can spell it out in great detail, yet there will be a few that don't grasp the concept. Number three, it's a possibility you could burn down the building. Not saying
    it's the case with you.
    I've said to much in other posts about DIY and I understand the reasoning for it.

I do think it's hillarious that the HVAC trade is so dangerous though. If I prescribe a perscription for someone and they leave the medicine bottle for their kids to get into, that can and does cause more harm than a hack DIY changing his condenser fan. Yes he could stick his screw driver into the wiring and shock himself but the most likely outcome would be he gets the wrong fan/motor hp/blade pitch/rpm voltage? Then he calls you guys and pays for his lesson in why pros are pros.

What if the patient takes to many pills? More dangerous than picking the wrong filter?

What if the patient takes an over the counter med. that conflicts with the Rx the doctor prescribed? More dangerous than pulling the service cover off the condensor?

I doubt that the HVAC lawyers are quite as busy as the medical lawyers.

Do you go to your doctors office and let them give you each individual pill you take? There has to be an assumed responsibility for peoples actions and some people will still drown in a puddle.

If the owners of this forum chose to not allow DIY questions, that's their right. I appreciate the fact that there is a wealth of knowledge supplying answers to people that want to learn. I just think the justificatioin for it is more of a "protect your own" than a liability issue as long as it's proper advice as the OP stated. That is good enough reasoning for me.

So you prescribe pills. Your in the medical field. Your medical doctor?
    Do you extract teeth.
    Contractor locator map

Sorry.
    Last edited by the dangling wrangler; 04-17-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Ooops! Double post.

Does that mean that I can write my own prescriptions? No, of course not. It has to be a licensed professional. Same thing here. Sure, I could go get a P.D.R., and probably prescibe myself what I needed. But, there's more to it than that. I don't know what drugs conflict with each other. Kinda like compatibility between HVAC parts. It's really kinda hard to compare the two crafts I refrain from giving DIY advice for fear of being sued. Probably the site feels the same way.

Teeth

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    So you prescribe pills. Your in the medical field. Your medical doctor?
    Do you extract teeth.
    Extract teeth?? Real men just PULL EM Make sure you clean your Pipe wrench real good though. Ya wouldn't want to get an infection.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast