Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heat Pump Blowing cold air diagnosis - need opinions

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    If they shut the unit off outside they should have told you , no ? You should have an emergency heat position at your t-stat which locks out the HP and you run your back up heat until repairs are made .
    They did tell me so and my thermostat is on emergency heat already, but keep in mind that I am talking about the main level and basement heating system. The upper floor is heated by the heatpump

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Yes, the outdoor unit is the primary source of heating. You should have an electric heater kit for backup (use the EMERGENCY HEAT function on your thermostat). The heater kit is used to supplement heat when the heat pump is defrosting or the heat pump is beyond its balance point and needs assistance to heat the indoor space.

When there is a malfunction with the outdoor unit for any reason, switch your thermostat to EMERGENCY HEAT. If you leave it on HEAT only, the system doesn't know that the outdoor unit is not operating so it will only turn on the electric heater kit when the temperature inside falls below 2 degrees of the setpoint or after 15 minutes or so of continuous runtime. By using emergency heat, the thermostat treats the electric heater kit as the primary and only source of heat.
    Unfortunately, the main level thermostat doesn't have an emergency heat option. Here's a picture of it. The temperature is not uncomfortable by any means, it is just not as warm as before.

I just wanted to make sure that this is why my furnace wasn't working as it should, so you both have clarified that.

Thanks once again for your responses.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vacunajr View Post
    Unfortunately, the main level thermostat doesn't have an emergency heat option. Here's a picture of it. The temperature is not uncomfortable by any means, it is just not as warm as before.

I just wanted to make sure that this is why my furnace wasn't working as it should, so you both have clarified that.

Strange they didn't install a thermostat with an option for emergency heat. What part of the country are you in?

Post Likes

Not having an emergency heat mode on your t- stat , your indoor blower fan will never shut off ,( as the first stage heat is the broken HP ) your going to be bouncing off your electric heat , because that is the 2nd stage , once the 2nd stage satisfy , you will be running return air only for first stage heat and the blower will never shut off , because return air can not satisfy the stat setting. You may want to consider getting a emergency heat mode HP stat in the future .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Strange they didn't install a thermostat with an option for emergency heat. What part of the country are you in?
    Northern VA, at least the thermostat upstairs has that option.

Post Likes
    Not having an emergency heat mode on your t- stat , your indoor blower fan will never shut off ,( as the first stage heat is the broken HP ) your going to be bouncing off your electric heat , because that is the 2nd stage , once the 2nd stage satisfy , you will be running return air only for first stage heat and the blower will never shut off , because return air can not satisfy the stat setting. You may want to consider getting a emergency heat mode HP stat in the future .
    As a matter of fact, it has been keeping up. I do hear the fan going off and on everytime the thermostat goes below the temperature set. As I said before, temperature wise is comfortable, just not warm. We have the t-stat set at 73 and it is reaching that temperature every time it goes below it.

Post Likes
    As a matter of fact, it has been keeping up. I do hear the fan going off and on everytime the thermostat goes below the temperature set. As I said before, temperature wise is comfortable, just not warm. We have the t-stat set at 73 and it is reaching that temperature every time it goes below it.

Your lucky that the blower shuts down ...Usually with one system and no other heat source that is what happens . You do state that you have two systems so you may be pulling the second floor heat and or any other source of heat to the first floor to satisfy the stat. and blower.

Post Likes
    Your lucky that the blower shuts down ...Usually with one system and no other heat source that is what happens . You do state that you have two systems so you may be pulling the second floor heat and or any other source of heat to the first floor to satisfy the stat. and blower.
    Well, the upper floor system is the heatpump which it's having issues with the reversing valve and that thermostat is set to Emergency heat, although I am not sure how much it could help to keep warm the main floor.

What I don't understand is why the tech had to shut off both outside units. Only the heatpump one is having the issue. The other one which works with the Furnace in the basement was working just fine. Now that it is no longer running, we're having this inconvenience on the main floor

I'll ask them tomorrow when I call them to get an update on the parts that were ordered to repair the reversing valve.

Victor

Post Likes
    I'll ask them tomorrow when I call them to get an update on the parts that were ordered to repair the reversing valve.

Victor
    Ok, I spoke with the technician's boss and the good news is that they're not going to charge me anything for the repair since I am the original owner, and the home was still under warranty when I reported the issue back in the summer. They're ordering the parts (reversing valve + compressor) and will call me to schedule the repair once they get receive them

By the way, I asked the question about the outside units and the furnace, and his response was that these are two independent systems, and that the furnace is used for heating, and the outside units for cooling purposes, so I don't know what to think about his response.

At the end of the day, he's just a supervisor, and not the actual tech who will be doing the repair, but still it makes me wonder...

Victor

Post Likes
    Ok, I spoke with the technician's boss and the good news is that they're not going to charge me anything for the repair since I am the original owner, and the home was still under warranty when I reported the issue back in the summer. They're ordering the parts (reversing valve + compressor) and will call me to schedule the repair once they get receive them

By the way, I asked the question about the outside units and the furnace, and his response was that these are two independent systems, and that the furnace is used for heating, and the outside units for cooling purposes, so I don't know what to think about his response.

At the end of the day, he's just a supervisor, and not the actual tech who will be doing the repair, but still it makes me wonder...

Victor

Your downstairs unit is a conventional 1 heat/1 cool system. It uses the outdoor unit for air conditioning only and the gas furnace in the basement for heating. The upstairs is different, it uses the outdoor unit and the air handler in the attic to supply heating. The man you spoke with is correct in what he said. Turning off the downstairs outdoor unit makes no difference in heat mode for the downstairs system. Not sure why they turned the downstairs outdoor unit off, or if maybe you are confused that they turned off the downstairs outdoor unit off, but either way it won't affect the heating at all for the downstairs. They turned the upstairs outdoor unit off to keep the problem from getting worse and damaging any other components. The upstairs unit is running solely on the electric resistance heaters located in the air handler in the attic. Hopefully that clears it up for you and doesn't confuse you more.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Your downstairs unit is a conventional 1 heat/1 cool system. It uses the outdoor unit for air conditioning only and the gas furnace in the basement for heating. The upstairs is different, it uses the outdoor unit and the air handler in the attic to supply heating. The man you spoke with is correct in what he said. Turning off the downstairs outdoor unit makes no difference in heat mode for the downstairs system.
    Ok, that's what he said. Thanks for clarifying. I got confused about the outside units based on the responses I got yesterday when I asked the question about them. Perhaps, I didn't explain myself better confusing everyone who was trying to help me. I apologize about it to those who were trying to help me.

Not sure why they turned the downstairs outdoor unit off, or if maybe you are confused that they turned off the downstairs outdoor unit off, but either way it won't affect the heating at all for the downstairs.
    The reason why I think they shut it down is because I don't hear it going off anymore, but based on your response, it shouldn't because it is only used for A/C purposes and right now we are using the Heat on the main level.

The unit that I used to hear going off through out the year was the heatpump unit outside, and that's because the heatpump uses that outside unit for heat and cooling purposes per your comments. I can't hear it anymore, because the tech shut it down until it gets fixed, which it's why I am on Emergency Heat on the upper level.

Perhaps the 2nd unit outside is not off at all, it's just not being used right now because we're using the Heat.

They turned the upstairs outdoor unit off to keep the problem from getting worse and damaging any other components. The upstairs unit is running solely on the electric resistance heaters located in the air handler in the attic. Hopefully that clears it up for you and doesn't confuse you more.
    It did. Thanks a lot for the explanation. I think it all makes sense now.

Regardless, I am going to ask the tech to check my furnace just in case, because as I was saying yesterday, the main level doesn't feel as warm as before, which it's why I thought this was related to the outside units not going off, and again I can feel cool air coming from the duct grill on that level, which I don't know if it is normal behavior. It could also be that temperature wise is way more colder outside this week than last week, so that could very well be a factor I guess

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in