Should I insulate around direct vent pipe?

I just had a direct vent gas fireplace installed in a corner of my basement. I'm about to start framing it in so I can drywall the entire corner (ceiling to floor, with a space for the fireplace, of course) My question is whether I should wrap insulation around the vent pipe. It gets very hot to the touch. I know of a good wall insulation called Safe N Sound, which is non-flammable.
    I've had one "expert" tell me to insulate and another says I shouldn't.

Thanks.

Cool

Tell your expert who recommended to insulate your pipes to insulate those in his own house and wait on the fire trucks.

No, you cannot wrap any type of vent pipe or chimney. Why would you? The listed instructions should spell out how to frame it. If you want to insulate the basement walls, you should do just that--insulate those walls then install a listed firestop through this combustible wall.

It isn't just a matter of flammabilityof the insulation but the fact it is keeping the vent pipe hotter than designed or tested. Stated clearances are air spaces. You cannot pour concrete into a stated clearance.

HTH,
    Hearthman

Thanks, Hearthman

Thanks, Hearthman. You've put my mind at ease. Just so you know it is a flexible vent pipe (about 10 inches in diameter). I assume it contains the actual vent down the middle (the core) with the air intake surrounding it.

buy some hart&cooley all fuel its $$$ spend the extra $1.00 get fire retardent sheet rock. dont forget you will need to get at it someday

Thumbs down improper advice

Joecool, you cannot use Hart & Cooley or any "all fuel" chimney with a gas direct vent. You can only use the double walled concentric direct vent pipe tested and listed for use with this appliance. In the first place, "all fuel" chimney has one hole--direct vent fireplaces need an intake and exhaust co-axially.

Fire retardent sheetrock is just that---retardent: it is still combustible. However, most factory built fireplaces are tested and listed for use with ordinary drywall if installed to the mfrs. listing. Why would you think you need type X drywall? What would you "need to get at it someday"?

Joe, I think you need to do a little homework before you go giving advice.

Hearthman

No you should not. The mfg instructions shows how to box around vent and your clearances from combustables and insulation. Also in most areas call for an insulation shield with a one inch clearance.

Unfortunatly I have found most insulation companies think if they see a hole (or find a hole by taking our firestop off) that they MUST jam insulation in it. "But I used fire proof insulation" WHO CARES... uhg this stuff makes me mad.