Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need new pipes for 410A

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    I believe he was addressing "soft solder" rather than brazed with 15% stay-silv and such.
    My bad. I missed the "soft". I've never seen soft solder used. But I'm guessing it has and will be used. It seems that would create the same problem. Seeing as how 410 suction usually runs in the 100-200psig range and R22 high side runs in the 150-300 range. If is was going to leak, it would have already????

Post Likes
    Ok, since your thinking of goodman, I can speak as someone who installs only goodman/amana . Run a new lineset. Atleast use R-11 flush. Anything less voids the warranty on R-410a. Also, Goodman's R-410a units have a tendency to have alot of vibration, which'll probably transfer through the concrete.

Run a new lineset.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    I know alot of guys who dont replace the lineset and just blow with nitro with a vacume with few problems....so far. Im willing to bet when we hit around the 8 to 10 year mark compressors will be going out left and right. But who cares....I mean wasn't the whole green house gas thing to make money on anyway.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hackmaster View Post
    I know alot of guys who dont replace the lineset and just blow with nitro with a vacume with few problems....so far. Im willing to bet when we hit around the 8 to 10 year mark compressors will be going out left and right. But who cares....I mean wasn't the whole green house gas thing to make money on anyway.
    I'm sticking my neck out guys so chop at will. I think a new lineset is always better, but seldom needed. We installed 410 systems over 5 years ago where we forgot to use the R-11 purge and have yet to have a compressor failure. I seem to remember a simular controversy when 134-A came out in 91. Everyone said that if you used the same lines on an old system that used R-12 the entire system would turn to acid, the sky would fall, and the ref unit would get sucked into a black hole. Even auto repair guys preached that the oils from R-12 were so different from 134 that if cross contaminated would lock up their primative belt driven compressors. Today you can go to Autozone and purchase ref oil that claims to work with it all.

Post Likes
    Many different thoughts on soft to hard. I found best to do it hard

I've seen solder balls get into compressor - Noisy

Have you ever seen a high side blow apart? - hard to explain to cust why the basement is filled with ref. LOL

I worked as a stationary eng. about ten years ago. Contractor use soft solder on ice storage system. This is a R system and runs with normal psi's. Well the hot day came and high psi with it. the system blew and lost charge. 2000 lbs. Yes building was evaced and guys made it out with minor bruising from walking into walls.

Some like it Hard, so give it to them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in