Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thank you BeenThere, you have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Purchased Equipment Specs

To complete this thread I'm posting my purchase decision based on research conducted here and my installer's recommendations.

Pursuant to advice from this forum, I obtained three bids from installers with decent references. Only one installer provided Manual J, D, and I believe S information. This installer spent at least two hours at my house obtaining information to complete his calculations and didn't require payment for his effort. To make a long story short, his bid was higher than the other two bids but I chose his bid anyway.

The equipment is Am Std. The winning bid included additional supply ducts (two added ducts upstairs and one added duct downstairs), new return ducts sized properly (20 in), new refrig line sets for upstairs and downstairs, a 100,000 BTU 95% AFUE gas furnace w/ two-stage burner assembly and a variable speed indoor blower, and a 4-ton, two-stage, 16 seer r-410a AC w/ matching evap coil.

FWIW the losing bids did not include additional ducts or new refrig line sets or increased sized return ducts, and the tonnage was 3.5 for both units w/out staging compressors but did include variable speed fans. I understand we don't post pricing here but I believe it's ok to say the difference between the winning bid and losing one was material. So, maybe counterintuitively, in this case the higher bid was, at least in my opinion, more responsible.

The split-systems are identical. One for upstairs and one for downstairs (upstairs unit is a downflow furnace). The installer suggested a 80% AFUE for upstairs but I opted for the 95% and I fully understand I'm not likely to recover the initial cost expense from utility savings but my thoughts are energy isn't getting any cheaper.

I wish to express my sincere thanks for those that maintain this forum and to those that responded to my original post.

Congrats, sounds like a good choice. And a nice system.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Which Contractor did you select in Sacramento?

I am trying to redo our HVAC in Sacramento and would be interested in learning who you went with. Are you happy?

My installer did a terrific job.

I don't know what the rules are re contractor recommendations and this forum has been excellent and provided great advice to me so I don't want to annoy anyone by breaking the rules.

Ahh, you are breaking the rules. No posting email addresses in the threads. Please edit it out, and put it in your profile.
    Thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I knew it. Just didn't know about the email thing.

I edited the post as requested and added my email to my profile.

Sorry about the error.

Michaeljs, I will send you a PM to your email.

Peter.

Michaeljs,

I can't "see" your email address it's blocked. Please change and I will email you the info you requested.

Peter

Sacramento HVAC

My email is now listed. Please substitute - for dash in the email address.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12