Ratcheting pipe cutter

Sears sells a small ratcheting tubing cutter (up to 1-18" capacity) that will let you cut tubing without having to rotate the thing all the way around once it's tightened onto the tubing. I find it works pretty well on the bigger sizes, but on the smaller liquid lines (1/4" or 3/8"), it tends to mangle the tubing if you're not careful.

My question is whether anybody makes such a thing that can handle up to and including 3" PVC or ABS for cutting high-efficiency furnace venting lines. I hurt my elbow sawing through a couple of them two years ago and I can still feel the pain sometimes. I have heard of larger rotate-around cutters like the small ones we use on copper tubing, but I think if there was a larger ratcheting model available, it would definitely make cutting vent lines much easier, especially in the tight spaces they always seem to be in (there isn't usually any room to rotate fully around the intake or exhaust line - you're lucky if you can even get a saw in there most times). The other problem I find with sawing is that it's really hard to keep the cut straight across, and it generates a lot of chips both in the pipe and on the floor (which you have to clean up later).

Has anybody run into this problem cutting high-efficient venting (while repairing or installing retrofits, etc.)?

They make a large tubing slicer.

that will cut 3" pvc. Very pricey though. It would be better to get a cordless sawzall.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

You might want to try a PVC wire saw. It'll cut the pipe just as strait as your skill with it will allow. As far as shavings go, that's nothing a small shop vac can't handle. Ratcheting cutters are no good on 3/4 PVC half the time. At least not the ones I've tried.

I've used a cordless skill saw with great success on PVC before....

Works better than you'd think
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    They make a large tubing slicer.

that will cut 3" pvc. Very pricey though. It would be better to get a cordless sawzall.
    I got that one I like it.

Main reason I got it was its a easy and quick to use. And a whole lot lighter and more convent them a sawzall
    If you help others then you are a Success

Ive got a pvc cutter that works on pipe up to 2" and it works great unless the pipe temp is below freezing. I got it at my local supply house.

but as far as a ratcheting tubing cutter, Ive got one Ive been using from Grainger supply. Ive had it for about 5 years and it works great.

I use my ratchet tubing cutter all the time everyday all day. I use it for supermarket piping. The best cutter for case piping.

i use a porta ban works great

i use a abrasive chopsaw, does a great job. that or a sawzaw with metal cutting blade installed

I bought a ratcheting pvc cutter from a small hardware store ,in a pinch,for about 10 bucks.I've actually been using it for 2 years doing change-outs and installs,and it still cuts great.Best 10 dollars I've ever spent
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I'm looking to buy a ratcheting pvc cutter for furnace changeouts but have a couple questions about those rothenberger cutters. The one you guys mentioned here said it would cut 3" pvc...

Rothenberger ROCUT Professional 42TC

But on this site http://www.cscindustrial.com/15.html it says it's for 1 1/4" sch 40 pvc. They do show 2 other ones that will but bigger pipe though...

Rothenberger ROCUT Professional 50TC

Rothenberger ROCUT Professional 75TC

So which model do I need? Would like it to cut up to 3" pvc. But if I don't need to the most expensive model to do it I will go with the one you guys mentioned. The plumbingstore.com does not ship to Canada it seems so I need to order from the site I posted above.