+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite part of your job in controls

Post Likes
    That awesome feeling of finding the solution that others could not. The look on the face of the condescending A**hole that thinks he is better than you when you prove him wrong AGAIN!!!!!!! And the appreciation of the customers when they realize how much money you have saved them and made their equipment work like it is supposed. These are my top 3 reasons I like my job!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KSSHVACTech View Post
    That awesome feeling of finding the solution that others could not.
    Before I got into controls I was called to give a 'second opinion' on an ice machine compressor. The TXV bulb was loose and it was flooding. Little cleaning and POW the sheet of ice hit the bin. The owner yelled "What the Hell was that? They told me it needed a new compresor!"

Working at different locations
    Working on different systems

3. Likes jrevans, Shophound, eric1589 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Designing and Project Management on site...

Post Likes
    The smug satisfaction of being right.
    turning conventional wisdom on its head and pinpointing again what the cause is and rectifying it. Being just about the only one that can. Gawd i do get sick of listening to a list of symptoms dressed up as causes though.

I really love diagnosing something over the phone that a team of other trades cant figure out after 4 hours of er...troubleshooting.

Got called once for a controls 'problem' with 2 chillers. Apparently they would start and run for 5 min and shutdown ...the chwlt doesnt even get anywhere near setpoint i was told...it IS a controls problem...since you were here last week you MUST have changed something...so you had better JUST FIX IT.

oh, i said..
    are the pumps running now?
    yep.
    Are you in the plant room?
    yep, at the chillers.
    ok, the bypass valve above yr head still rattling?
    yep always does.
    yeah, get a ladder take the actuator off and ring me back.
    there is NOTHING wrong...the shaft moves up and down just fine.yr wasting our time and you better come here with a laptop or we are getting anther controls guy.
    hmm, before i do grab some vice grips and pull on the shaft really hard.
    ...a minute later all i heard was curses as the silly bastard was covered in water when the shaft pulled clear of the valve body.
    never got thanked, never did supply the new valve, lost the maint contract.
    Go figure...i told that company the bypass was broken like 6 months before and gave them a quote.

Common sense aint that common...sometimes doest even make sense

I do love the look of terror on the faces of fridgies when i show up.

Since i dont get paid, i have to find satisfaction in the little things.

...should start thread about the most monumental screw up. Hmm, i have caused few catastrophes in my time :-)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post

...should start thread about the most monumental screw up. Hmm, i have caused few catastrophes in my time :-)
    Damn he has some humility! LOL! Might be a good thread, maybe though in the Pro's section!

Thanks for the laugh, good post.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    Had me thinking about the time we where too expensive to add a controller to some boilers... Stupid control guys don't know how to do it right anyway. Long ago I WOSed some pictures with the charred remains of three brand new boilers that resulted from the "savings". Been long enough now that any litigation should be over and can talk about it.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Huh, seems that post must have gotten removed... SOB that may have been my only copy of the pics.

The guilty party (or their lawyers) must be a member here and cried to have it removed.

Post Likes
    Scratch that.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ghlight=boiler

Favorite part of the job....not being in the airstream when the $hit hit this fan!
    Last edited by orion242; 06-19-2015 at 10:08 PM.

Post Likes
    My favorite part is coming to this forum and listening to a couple people with inflated egos "blowing their own horns" day after day.
    Well, maybe not my favorite part, but right up there.

11. Likes Control Man, orion242 liked this post.
    Dislikes orion242, Cagey57 disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JCIman View Post
    Well, maybe not my favorite part
    Hmm, only see one inflated and then bruised ego around here this week.

Its always hard finding out that what you thought was 'truth' for years is basically wrong. I tried to be gentle and delicate about it but entrenched beliefs are difficult to shift.

Everybody needs a soldier but is horrified at what he does.

...sorry no chocolates or roses for you sweetie.

XoX
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

Be brave. You cannot get eaten by an imaginary tiger.

13. Likes orion242, Cagey57, bigguy158 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Other wise, Spending hours on the computer after work 3 or 4 days a week I am a afraid is not going to get me where I need to be..[/QUOTE]

Spending hours on the computer 7 days a week before, during, and after work is the only way to get you where you need to be... if that scares you, quit now and invest your time in other areas.

Post Likes
    The diversity and the challenges. Occasionally being able to "Fix" a system or sometimes a entire building that, according to the customer "Has never worked Right", and having it work reliably and repeatedly.

More importantly, learning something new virtually every day.

Biggest challenge is trying to educate people on the Big Picture of how "Systems" actually work. A wise man once told me "Beware the man that doesn't know what he doesn't know".
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes
    Favorite part is 4:30pm , when I go home to my wife and babies!! But I really enjoy the team I work with, they make about anything bearable.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    10 years here. Controls as an industry is always evolving, and therefore, always challenging. Not many days are alike, which keeps your work fresh. With the demand for energy growing (and the need for controls to keep a building's costs down), we've got a good amount of job security, too.
    Last edited by drewbixcube; 06-30-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Clarified the energy bit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in