Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Land of the mice in A/C units!

got my first A/C call of the year, and what would it be if it didn't include a mouse in the unit:

Pic 1 and 2 show the mouse fried when it touched the capacitor. Pic 3, although it didn't come out well, shows how they even pick the insulation out of the compressor insulation cover.

It is very common to see this where I am (southeastern Connecticut.) They nest in the electrical compartments over the winter, and I have seen it where the entire electrical copartment is one big mouse nest, with leaves, insulation, and whatever else you can imagine, just PACKED in there, along with all of the mouse sh*t and whatever diseases that these nasty creatures carry.

I have been on no cool calls to open up the panel and see that the mice have chewed up every wire in the unit and the whole thing needed all the wiring replaced. And, even though it may seem very odd, they seem to favor YELLOW wires to chew on........I have been in lots of units for whatever reason, only the yellow wires were chewed up.......why, don't ask me.

Whenever I see that they have eaten the compressor insulator cover, I just remove it completely, because I have found that when I order a new one and install it, I can come back a year later and you would never know it was new, because the mice have already did their number on it, not to mention all the sh*t they leave inside the unit from living there all winter.

Stay tuned, as there will be more encounters to come, of these NASTY MICE!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I'm calling PETA

and ask just how long those things are supposed to COOK

I think it's overdone!
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I found a family of mice in a Lennox unit once. The Mother mouse hissed at me. Never seen a mouse hiss before. Thought it was going to attack.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_hvac_tech View Post
    And, even though it may seem very odd, they seem to favor YELLOW wires to chew on........I have been in lots of units for whatever reason, only the yellow wires were chewed up.......why, don't ask me.

YELLOW WIRE = STRING CHEESE
    If you can't push; pull... If you can't pull; GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

Had a mouse come at me out of a condensing unit once. The rat bastard made a hard left turn and dove for cover in my tool bag. Ended up having to dump the bag to get him out and then spent a good 15 minutes finding all the miscellaneous tiny sh!t from the bottom of the bag that was now in the customers grass.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

I found a squirrel a few months ago in the same condition, in an AHU in the electrical compartment. Sealed pretty good, I can't figure how he got in there unless it was Secret Squirrel...
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    I'm calling PETA

and ask just how long those things are supposed to COOK

I think it's overdone!
    People for the Eating of Tastey Animinals.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

That poor mouse!!!!!!!!! can you see all his mouse friends making fun of him now. that dum as_ smoke came out his butt when he bit that cheese

I used to hate doing PMs at the cell phone towers. I had a couple that were way out in the middle of nowhere and the mice loved to nest in the wall packs. I pulled 4 dead mice out of a unit once, and it was in the log book that 7 more had been removed a couple weeks earlier. They made a real mess in the unit and stunk up the building bad enough that I almost threw up.
    Zach

Once found a very much live possum in a 3" smoke pipe. Drilled X holes in front and behind and bent welding rods through them, then removed the pipe section. He was PISSED!

I hate the mice, they really stink things up.

Cool

Ever find a 3 foot snake in a unit that found its way across the contactor? Homeowner said the lights dimmed for about 1 min. And after 2 hours of changing every control and wire in 90 degree heat, I did not know how juicy snake were until that day.

Well did find a squirrel in a inducer fan once, dang thing went into it head first. Heck at first I just thought the motor was locked up, till I pulled the vent pipe up and seen the bushy tail.

Went back later and installed a new chimney cap as well.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Have found many pest in a/c

In the last week or so I have been finding a ton of mice here in the KC area. I have had 3 momma mice jump out of units with little ones attached to them weirdest thing I ever saw.also once found a decapitated ground squirel in a 14i once. to many birds in DI assemblies to count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast