Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I dont think you want water in plastic sitting in your attic..The idea of solar mean you need direct sunlight ...If you want a good pool heater then get an AquaCal heat pump w/ titanium heat exchnger......They are the best...... I had one put in when I had my pool installed. My pool dealer never heard of Aquacal until i asked for it. Now they sell more of them than any other heater. Couple that with a good solar cover and you'll be quite happy....Just make sure you prtect your solar cover when its on the reel, get the cover for the solar cover or it will fall apart in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by shoe2522 View Post
    I dont think you want water in plastic sitting in your attic..The idea of solar mean you need direct sunlight ...If you want a good pool heater then get an AquaCal heat pump w/ titanium heat exchnger......They are the best...... I had one put in when I had my pool installed. My pool dealer never heard of Aquacal until i asked for it. Now they sell more of them than any other heater. Couple that with a good solar cover and you'll be quite happy....Just make sure you prtect your solar cover when its on the reel, get the cover for the solar cover or it will fall apart in a year or two.
    Actually it's not plastic, it's a metal heat exchanger so it doesnt use sunlight, it uses attic heat. I will check into the Aquacal unit. Thanks.

I looked at this attic business a while ago and it didn't seem like it would meet my needs.

compare it to an embedded collector inside the roof only does 150-300btu/sf/day. need a big roof to heat a pool.

http://www.dawnsolar.com/downloads/D...Spec_Sheet.pdf

d

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    I found one:

http://www.ecosmartinc.com/catsolar2.php

Not sure if this is the one he's/she's talking about though..

Did anyone notice that one of the benefits is "Adds heat to pool even in Winter ". ???? I live in Louisiana and you don't want heat in your pool in the summer! I guess some places would want heated water in the summer. Just found it amusing.

Looks like a good idea. Better have a drain pan at least a foot deep, with 2" drains, a couple of float switches, and know what your doing with pool chemicals. 14X20 living room could you do the back stroke quick enough to shut it off if the supply line crapped out in the attic. It would make for some interesting photos and conversation. If you put it in start with some practice laps in the living room. Good luck.
    Last edited by Chauncey; 04-12-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

sounds to me like it would only be useful in adding heat to the pool when it is hot enough to have a hot attic. In this scenario your pool should be plenty warm already. I hate it when my pool is piss warm when I jump in. pool water in the attic also sounds like a disastr waiting to happen.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    I have been pondering installing a solar heater for my pool, but my roof is tile and dont want to screw around with it. I found a company online that sells a large water coil with a fan on it that you install in your attic. My question is, do you guys think this would work very well? They also advertise lower a/c bills because of lower attic temps achieved by this. Hear is where I get hung up, if this thing can bring the temp down in the attic that much, then it wont be taking much heat back to the pool, correct? We do have really hot attics here, but I still wonder how much heat this thing can take back to the pool, and for how long before the attic cools down to the point that the thing wont be effective. Thanks
    Well guys, I was going to invest in a heat pump for my pool but wanted to experiment with something first. I ran out and bought 3,000 feet of 1/2" irrigation pipe and wound them into 6 foot diameter rolls and braced them in pvc frames that I made. Each roll is 500 feet. Then I added a booster pump to get it up to the roof. I originally did not want to fasten anything down to my tile roof, these things ended up just being able to lay up there for the time being until I could do some testing.

Well, yesterday I fired it up and was getting a constant 101 degrees at about 10 gallons a minute back into the pool. I didnt want to invest a fortune into this project until I could see how well it really worked, so far I am impressed. If the whole thing works out, maybe I will build some controls to modernize it a little bit.

attic pool heater

Sammy,

I am impressed that you are considering duplicating our pool heater. We get people from time to time trying to master our pool heater but find to bring it up too our quality they spend more than if they just purchase it direct from us.

Our system is not a couple of car radiators and a fan its a matter of fact I would strongly discourage it. The materials used in car radiators are substandard and wont hold up. Trust me on this before you cause significant damage to your home.

If you are all wondering about the performance,safety and technology of our PCS1, PCS2 feel free to contact us direct.

Thanks, James

NO NO NO.......this is out in the open....we don't like behind the scenes info. If someone can cause damage trying this on their own...why not make it public as to some of the problems that could occur.....besides 1000's of gallons flooding the attic

To stop DIY of course. If it get's to technical it needs to be in the pro forums.

Well first off Deveroux, If you read my post before yours, you would see that I decided to go with a rooftop type of unit, it is 3,000 feet woth of pipe and it kicks butt. It has been up and running for several weeks and works just fine. I decided that your attic style unit would not be able to compete with a direct sunlight unit, I just cant see the efficiency being as good.

I would still like to know how you guys avoid attic flooding should your unit fail?

I could not find any decent testimonies on your unit to see how well it really does work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123