attic pool heater - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    found this........http://www.solarattic.com/pcs1.htm

someone needs to try one and let me know how it works....

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    found this........http://www.solarattic.com/pcs1.htm

someone needs to try one and let me know how it works....
    sure, but on my dollar? Ya right...

Allright guys, I was away from my computer for a while. Yes, the website I found was the one that t527ed found, solarattic.com. I didnt email them for the price, but I'm sure it aint cheap. If I was to put one of these in my attic, I would deffinately have an emergency drain pan to set it in. I have also investigated using a heat pump, but they are pricey. I do have an advantage though, I removed our spa last year so I do have a good 60 amp service out there if I was to add a heat pump.

It says they work best with between 40 and 50 GPM water flow.
    I'd want the attic piping as short as possibe.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Edit out your ooops.
    Contractor locator map

Yea, I saw your pricing, I might be able to get a gas unit that cheap, but they are also extremely expensive to operate and I dont have a gas supply anywhere near the pool. Hayward and Rheem make the best pool heat pump and they are very expensive. With the heat and sunshine we have here in Vegas, I would rather try to harness some free heat first. I know some of you experts around here should have some idea how that attic unit might work as far as efficiency. I have looked at a few homemade versions of rooftop solar pool heaters, some of them are pretty impressive.

That coil set up should work ok. And be one of the cheapest operating methods you'll find.
    Its not going to heat up a pool in 1 day.
    Contractor locator map

Our pool is only 16,000 gallons, I am inclined to buy a couple hot water coils, have a cabinet made to put them in and throw a fan or two on them and see what it does. If it works, then I will build some controls to run it. I am always up for a new project although it drives my wife nuts!

This is a great soultion for rednecks that want to go green.

I would spend about $12 a mo to run the fan, and extra $12 a mo to run the pool pump longer to make up for the loss in waterflow throughput required to keep the pool clean, and extra $15 a month in chemicals because they evaporate faster from warmer water, which I would spend $10 more a month replacing from the accelerated evaporation. (Extra operating expense during summer months: $49).

In the manual the sample pool got to 98F then the heater was turned off. In that same example, the pool temp rose about 6 degrees per day, and dropped about 4 degrees per night. This means you can't run it on 100% duty cycle to keep the attic cool, because your pool would be a jacuzzi.

Would a 2" emergency drain be enough for 50 GPM? You would need a leak detector to shut off the pool pump; however, if there ever was a large leak elsewhere, you wouldn't know until you came home to find your home trashed and pool pump burned up from sucking in air after losing enough water. Does home owners insurance cover such flood damage?

The manual also warns about the pool PH and chemicals possibly corroding the "radiator"....

I've just talked myself out of thinking this device would save me money.

A change alone in temp can change the water from balanced to acidic.

Run black tubing (??black heavy duty garden hose??) on the across the roof in loops and use a pump to circulate. That would help cool the roof which in turn would help the attic a little and you could get radiant heat also into the mix...plus you don't have to worry as much about a leak destroying your home.

I'd guess you need a controller to shut it off from getting to hot.

Edit: Never mind about the roof thing that could make a mess and require a lot of maint.

You could section of a spot that catches sun all day and get a black tarp and run black garden hose in loops on the ground in that sunny spot and warm the pool up that way. Then it would be easy to get to and manage.
    Last edited by BigJon3475; 04-11-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Instread of garden hose. ABS.
    Contractor locator map

Seems like a solar pool cover would be more cost effective. No leak risk to attic, reduced evaporation when pool is covered, less debris entering pool when it's covered, pool chemicals last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by gonekuku View Post
    This is a great soultion for rednecks that want to go green.

I would spend about $12 a mo to run the fan, and extra $12 a mo to run the pool pump longer to make up for the loss in waterflow throughput required to keep the pool clean, and extra $15 a month in chemicals because they evaporate faster from warmer water, which I would spend $10 more a month replacing from the accelerated evaporation. (Extra operating expense during summer months: $49).

In the manual the sample pool got to 98F then the heater was turned off. In that same example, the pool temp rose about 6 degrees per day, and dropped about 4 degrees per night. This means you can't run it on 100% duty cycle to keep the attic cool, because your pool would be a jacuzzi.

Would a 2" emergency drain be enough for 50 GPM? You would need a leak detector to shut off the pool pump; however, if there ever was a large leak elsewhere, you wouldn't know until you came home to find your home trashed and pool pump burned up from sucking in air after losing enough water. Does home owners insurance cover such flood damage?

The manual also warns about the pool PH and chemicals possibly corroding the "radiator"....

I've just talked myself out of thinking this device would save me money.
    Allright, I slept on it and decided to s---can the idea. Yes, attic flooding was one worry, but the other problem is this is the time of year that I want the pool heated, the attic is not warm enough right now to do squat. In july and august when the attic is perfectly hot, the pool is hot also. I think I will just go with the heat pump idea. By the way I wouldnt consider it such a redneck idea, just not the right setup for my situation. It might work out great for someone else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast