Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keeprite vs Trane vs Rheem Furnace

what do you guys think about these brands? Im looking at a 2-stage non-variable speed (AC motor) furnace as a replacement. Keeprite has stainless exchangers and HSI and 10 year warranty on parts but the warranty is not transferable. Trane has an annodized steel primary exchanges and HSI. Rheem has stainless exchangers and spark ignition.

I know the installation quality is vital but for now i am looking for your opinions about these brands and their features.

If properly installed they'll all run well. There's a quite a few Tempstars in my area, which are the same as Keeprites models, and they're pretty good systems. I've heard some say they're a little low on BTU output, but no other complaints. Rheem also makes a good unit, depending on the model you get, some Rheems seem to be a lot louder than others. Trane makes a good unit..and would be my recommendation..if the price is right. Some Trane dealers think they're selling gold and will charge as such. Go with the contractor you're most comfortable with, or if it's the same contractor supplying the quotes for different systems, go with what you think is the best value. And what models of each brand were you given quotes for? There's a lot of difference between a high end Trane and a low end Keeprite.

Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    If properly installed they'll all run well. There's a quite a few Tempstars in my area, which are the same as Keeprites models, and they're pretty good systems. I've heard some say they're a little low on BTU output, but no other complaints. Rheem also makes a good unit, depending on the model you get, some Rheems seem to be a lot louder than others. Trane makes a good unit..and would be my recommendation..if the price is right. Some Trane dealers think they're selling gold and will charge as such. Go with the contractor you're most comfortable with, or if it's the same contractor supplying the quotes for different systems, go with what you think is the best value. And what models of each brand were you given quotes for? There's a lot of difference between a high end Trane and a low end Keeprite.
    The models i am considering right now are:

Keeprite IIS90 (best price in total for install but poorest warranty 10 parts 2 labour non transferrable. comfortable with contractor, put in a stove line for me and did a good job) - stainless exchangers but HSI (i think i would prefer spark)

Rheem RGRK (highest price but 10 year parts/labour transferable warranty. comfortable with contractor, providing many answers to questions) - stainless exchangers and spark.

Trane XL90 (slightly less than Rheem, same transferable warranty, Home Depot installer, but i dont trust the installer as they seemed to imply there were other possible charges. seemed more interested in getting the sale than providing info.) - non-stainless primary exchanger, HSI.

I might be mistaken, and somebody will correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that's a lower line Keeprite model. I would avoid buying through Home Depot, i've heard lots of horror stories about dealing with Home Depot about problems after the install. I would go with the Rheem..good unit, and the higher price is probably worth it if you like the contractor.

The IIS90 is one notch below Keeprite's top of the line 90% furnace. That said, if you go with Keeprite, see how much it would cost to upgrade to a VS90, which has a variable speed blower.

Also ask the Rheem guy how much it would cost to upgrade to a RGFD furnace. That is Rheem's top of the line modulating furnace.

Thanks for pointing that out, i'm not overly familiar with ICP's model numbering. A Rheem RGFD shouldn't be to much higher than a RGRK I wouldn't think. And that Rheem warranty is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
    The IIS90 is one notch below Keeprite's top of the line 90% furnace. That said, if you go with Keeprite, see how much it would cost to upgrade to a VS90, which has a variable speed blower.

Also ask the Rheem guy how much it would cost to upgrade to a RGFD furnace. That is Rheem's top of the line modulating furnace.
    hi randomguy. i already have these quotes. its about $1000 more. i dont want a variable speed (DC) furnace as the added complexity will most likely result in added costs as the parts are 2-3x as much and the system is more complex possibly lowering reliability. a KISS approach is where i am at (keep it simple stupid . 2-stage is enough for me.

Go with the Rheem, that's my suggestion. To bad that Trane quote is from Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    Go with the Rheem, that's my suggestion. To bad that Trane quote is from Home Depot.
    thats what i am leaning towards myself. they have financing which i'll need and the warranty is transferable so it adds value if i sell the house. too bad the keeprite guy is too small to provide financing or a decent warranty.

in terms of features the rheem has better features such as the spark ignition and both exchangers being stainless, over the trane.

Twilli says Rheem
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says Rheem
    Random Guy thought Twili liked Coleman.

Twilli likes Coleman but Rheem is the best of the choices
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli likes Coleman but Rheem is the best of the choices
    doesnt coleman make bbqs? i want to heat my house, not cook weenies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast