+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Discontinued VVT T-stat

Post Likes

Discontinued VVT T-stat

I am looking for a replacement for a Carrier VVT monitor t-stat, Model MST16ES with a 16 zone capability. Does any one know where I can obtain one or if there is a substitute for this one? Only the t-stat is bad. I do not want to replace the whole system just to get an upgraded t-stat.

Post Likes
    Theres's
    not much of a chance getting any of the old VVT gear, the only replacment from the Carrier side is 3V product, In your neck of the woods I would speak to Balibe...

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ghlight=balibe

Post Likes
    Ive been ripping out a Carrier gen 1 system and replacing with ASI on a job, I will be headed back in a few months to start on the second phase, I know its a ways off but let me know if I can help

Post Likes
    Is there a 33cs number on that stat.

Post Likes
    Your part number is Gen2/Enhanced [with rotary dial for settings]. Aus is correct, no parts or replacements are available. You will need to upgrade to 3V or try to locate a used one.

Can try the Junk Yard Forum here or eBay, but Gen2 is rare. You may get lucky by checking control contractors in your area. When we do an upgrade to 3V, we typically save all the old Gen2/3 devices to service existing systems.

If you cannot locate a used one and an entire upgrade is too costly. You can just do a partial upgrade of the monitor/airsource/bypass to 3V and leave the existing Gen2 zones as stand-alone. I wouldn’t recommend it as you will probably end up with temperature control issues as only the new 3V zone will dictate the operation of the airsource. The stand-alone Gen2 zones will determine the mode of operation from the airsource for control of the damper with the duct sensor [IE: If the zone senses cold air in the duct and the zone needs heat, it will close the damper until it senses warm air].
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes
    Hey B would a 33csvm32 work, from what i can make of it it doesnt have a time clock, I know a source of 7 if they still have them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Hey B would a 33csvm32 work, from what i can make of it it doesnt have a time clock, I know a source of 7 if they still have them.
    Nope, thats a Gen3 monitor stat with 32 zone scanning. Gen2 and Gen3 wont communicate together.

A master with time clock is only needed on one master to broadcast the time on the network to the other masters and the slave zones.

In a previous post you mentioned you were demo'n a Carrier Gen1. Just so you know, Gen1 was originally tagged Parker. They had an LED display with two buttons, were beige in color and an equipment panel controlled the operation. There are not many out there, in 20+yrs I have only worked on one. Below is a link which gives some history on VVT.

http://www.midcam.com/Reference%20Ct...n%20&%20Wiring
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes
    How many would you like?

I have 2 or 3 in fair used condition.

PM with reasonable offer.

Post Likes
    We are seeing a large number of Carrier VVT sites failing and needing replacement parts. An option that has been working is Honeywell RapidZone using Smart VAV Acuators. These actuators can be used on the existing Carrrier zone dampers. The communication bus between controllers is a 2 wire twisted pair, no shield or ground needed. This would be a complete replacement of the Carrier product but your overall installed cost of the RapidZone system versues Carrier CCN is about 30% less along with reduced programming time.

If you want information on RapidZone let me know I can send pdf files to you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PropMgr View Post
    I am looking for a replacement for a Carrier VVT monitor t-stat, Model MST16ES with a 16 zone capability. Does any one know where I can obtain one or if there is a substitute for this one? Only the t-stat is bad. I do not want to replace the whole system just to get an upgraded t-stat.
    Carrier's position is proprietary, or proprietary bacnet. Therefore, unless you go the refurbished route you can plan on no recourse with their stuff. So when they decide to make something obsolete you are done because they really have no real backward compatibility. Look for a Lonworks vendor because Lonworks is backwards compatible to inception to the public in 1988. That is 20 years of backwards compatibility and counting. I think Carrier has been through about 6 different versions in the same time period.

Distech also have a really inexpensive VVT setup. I think it's less cost than the Rapid Zone, although it may not have all the nice features. However, I think it's probably easier to add products from multiple vendors than Rapid Zone is. You would have the same ability to reuse the Carrier dampers, but I'd caution you that those Carrier dampers aren't built that well to begin with. I'd get new dampers, or at least verify that yours are in decent working condition.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    Carrier's position is proprietary, or proprietary bacnet. Therefore, unless you go the refurbished route you can plan on no recourse with their stuff. So when they decide to make something obsolete you are done because they really have no real backward compatibility. Look for a Lonworks vendor because Lonworks is backwards compatible to inception to the public in 1988. That is 20 years of backwards compatibility and counting. I think Carrier has been through about 6 different versions in the same time period.

Distech also have a really inexpensive VVT setup. I think it's less cost than the Rapid Zone, although it may not have all the nice features. However, I think it's probably easier to add products from multiple vendors than Rapid Zone is. You would have the same ability to reuse the Carrier dampers, but I'd caution you that those Carrier dampers aren't built that well to begin with. I'd get new dampers, or at least verify that yours are in decent working condition.
    I agree, those Carrier dampers being a 45 degree shut off don't get the job done. I would replace them with a damper that has a 90 degree shut off position, if it's in the budget.

Post Likes
    The bushings don't last and the rivets holding the assembly against the shaft fail.

Post Likes

discontinued vvt t-stat

I have a friend who has a vvt system in his house from about 1987. It is limping along at the moment with a temporary fix. I have seen some CHR06 relay boards and HTA01 dampers and boards on Ebay. Climatic, 1200 Woodruff rd, Greenville ,SC used to have some parts.

Post Likes
    I may have one or two laying around....

Post Likes

Could you use these?

I have a rebuilt MST-01E and 2 MST-01ES's that have been in my garage since the mid '90's. Would the 01E work for you?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in