Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Probably the stupidest question you've ever heard...

....so I apologize for that in advance but I've no idea where else to ask this.

So I work in a small retail store, and it's getting pretty hot down here (Georgia) now so I've been trying to turn the AC down colder than usual. Well, it refuses to work. I'm not sure exactly what kind we have, but, the thermostat says "Totaline", and its all done on a touch screen. The choices are HEAT, COLD, or OFF, and then FAN AUTO or FAN ON, then a temp. adjuster. No matter what combination of COLD and FAN AUTO/FAN ON I use, I can't get the damned thing to actually cool.

I'm wondering if someone at corporate could be remotely controlling the temp because lately they've been whining about our AC usage saying it costs too much....well I don't want it to be 75 degrees in here when we're wearing long sleeve shirts and long pants, so, any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help.

If your not able to turn the actual setting any lower, then try moving the heat down lower first, it could be preventing you from lowering the cool setting.

Now if you can move the COOL setting lower and it's not getting cool then you need to call a service company.

Tell corporate that if they don't care about their employees, they might at least care about their customers. Sounds like your compressor is not doing it's job. Time to call the "fix-it" man. And don't forget, no matter how uncomfortable you are inside, think about the tech outside that's fixing your AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    If your not able to turn the actual setting any lower, then try moving the heat down lower first, it could be preventing you from lowering the cool setting.

Now if you can move the COOL setting lower and it's not getting cool then you need to call a service company.

Yes thats the problem. At the moment, the "COOL" button is flashing, dunno if thats significant...and the desired temp is set at 60, but the temp display is showing 70 and won't drop any lower. I was just wondering if there was a difference between FAN AUTO and FAN ON. It's always worked just fine until today, when they sent us the email whining about costs.

If its still not working tomorrow I'll request they send a tech but they probably wont, this company is INCREDIBLY cheap.

Thanks for the replies though!

You are calling for cooling( flashing light ) asking for 60 deg, and its 70 deg. in the store. Fan auto means that the fan only runs when there is a call for heating or cooling, fan on means that the fan will run continuously or until you switch it back to auto.

If its 70 deg in the store, and rather warm outside, that about the best you get. If you want it colder you may need to upgrade to a walk in cooler.

Yes... corporate is controling your stat, monitoring your E-Mails and watching you mess with the stat.

Just a guess but If this is a programable they might have it Lock so you can't change it. turst me its done alot to kept people from play with the Stat.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Setting it to 60 could make it ice up........ It ain't like an accelerator . If you can't get 68, setting it to 60 won't make it work harder to cool faster.

does it seem like it's moving air? Try setting the Heat-Off Cool to off and put the fan switch to on ... and let it run like that for 2 hours ... if its iced up that will thaw it out. Then set the switch to cool and see if it feels cooler. Don't set it back to 60....
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Why would you want it any cooler than 70 degrees in a public store?
    I'd say ditch the long sleeves if possible.
    You are not doing this for the comfort of your customers.
    Some old folks cant tolerate the sudden change in temp from the hot outdoors to the 70 degree indoors and back to the hot outdoor temp.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

please stop touching the thermostat. you have no idea what your doing. if you set the stat at 60* and tell your boss that information..than a service man replaces the compressor that you broke by setting the stat so low it iced up the coil. if i was your boss, you just cost me a lot of money.

LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by a\c don View Post
    Why would you want it any cooler than 70 degrees in a public store?
    I'd say ditch the long sleeves if possible.
    You are not doing this for the comfort of your customers.
    Some old folks cant tolerate the sudden change in temp from the hot outdoors to the 70 degree indoors and back to the hot outdoor temp.
    Uh, why?

Because the entire staff is sweating and complaining about the heat, as do the customers. And since it'll be around 100 degrees in a few months....do I really need to explain why I want it cooler? We keep it around 65-60 and no one complains.

As to "costing my boss money"? It was my boss who told me to try and figure out a way to fix it so we can make it cooler, so, yeah, I don't think he's going to be angry with me for...doing what he asked.

Can't "ditch the long sleeves" because its the stupid dress code.

Anyway, its working today for whatever reason.

Confused WTF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kampkook View Post
    You are calling for cooling( flashing light ) asking for 60 deg, and its 70 deg. in the store.
    Is this a pet shop & do you have penguins in there ???
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Godz View Post
    Uh, why?

Because the entire staff is sweating and complaining about the heat, as do the customers. And since it'll be around 100 degrees in a few months....do I really need to explain why I want it cooler? We keep it around 65-60 and no one complains.

As to "costing my boss money"? It was my boss who told me to try and figure out a way to fix it so we can make it cooler, so, yeah, I don't think he's going to be angry with me for...doing what he asked.

Can't "ditch the long sleeves" because its the stupid dress code.

Anyway, its working today for whatever reason.
    sounds like that unit is stressing bad to try and keep up with the load,word to the wise get a service tech and have it serviced it may quit on you soon!
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast