+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old is this unit?

Post Likes

How old is this unit?

Does anybody know the age of this Singer electric air handler?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418945850.258430.jpg
Views: 2784
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418945870.654680.jpg
Views: 1797
Size:  196.9 KB

Post Likes
    Well I'm guessing you have already Googled the model but if serial numbers make any sort of sense 1968 may very well be correct from the way it looks to my eye/

3. Likes Maakas22 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    Well I'm guessing you have already Googled the model but if serial numbers make any sort of sense 1968 may very well be correct from the way it looks to my eye/
    Yea, I saw the "68" and thought it could be "1968" but I wasn't sure.

Post Likes
    Whatever it is, good luck getting parts. I don't think anyone ever took up Singer except maybe ICP. If something major has gone on it, it's time to lay her to rest.

Post Likes
    It's electric heat. A motor, a sequencer, and restring kits. What parts? When the a/c goes the unit goes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    It's electric heat. A motor, a sequencer, and restring kits. What parts? When the a/c goes the unit goes.
    but a new one is more efficient

Post Likes
    first impression, its way beyond old enough to vote march,68 m is maybe plant location of manufacture parts available if you know how to adapt coil should be inspected for plugged with dirt a expirianced serviman should have no problem bringing her back to life but a diy should ask for help any problems with compressor and its out the door

Post Likes
    More efficient and energy saving for sure. That thing is sure older than me.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't think the 68 would have anything to do with it being made in 1968. Just a logical guess but if the last two digits were the year made that would leave only the first two for possible distinct serial numbers. Just doing the math with the fist digit being a letter and the second being a number that would only leave 360 possible serial numbers for the whole year. Even if you mixed up letters and numbers it still comes to less than 1300 possible combinations. I could be wrong but I would think the manufacturer would want to plan on making more than that in a year.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinAdv View Post
    but a new one is more efficient
    All electric resistance heaters are 100% efficient. Not like fossil fuel burners.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    All electric resistance heaters are 100% efficient. Not like fossil fuel burners.
    I know I was joking although if it has a/c upgrading to a heat pump makes a ton of sense

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Haha, that reminds me:

I went to do an energy assessment sponsored by the power company at a customer's house. He had a 15 kW electric furnace and split A/C. He started inquiring about a new system, so I was telling him about the benefits of a heat pump.

How much would it cost to replace the electric furnace with another electric furnace?

Is there something wrong with your current furnace?

No, I just want a new one so it's more efficient. It uses a lot of energy.

If you replace your 15 kW furnace with another 15 kW furnace, it's going to use the same amount of energy. Resistance heaters have a 1:1 performance ratio.

Well, how about the heat pump? Can I keep my A/C?

The heat pump functions as both a heating unit and cooling unit, so we would replace the A/C as well.

I can't keep my A/C if I put a heat pump in?

Absolutely not.

This conversation repeated about three times until he finally gave up. I still don't think he understood.

Post Likes
    Singer should have stayed with making sewing machines.

Post Likes
    hey circusenvy, had that conversation many times, now I tell customers that an ac unit is a heat pump, but a one way heat pump, pumping heat out of the house in the summer. hope that helps

Post Likes
    Judging from my literature, that model was sold for a long time in the 70s. Since it says American Furnace on it, I'd guess early 70s. Still got a Singer outside?

Post Likes
    BaldLoonie,

I couldn't read any numbers off the outdoor unit. Small green rectangle, side discharge condenser.

We're installing a new unit and ductwork next week.

Post Likes
    One of the hardest things we do is attempting to communicate tech stuff to civilians. I used to ask who is the mechanic of the house. That's a start. And there is no reason to assume it's the man.
    I had some religious people come to my house once. Must have thought I was kinda of stupid an they had one of those stick boards and some little people they used to sell their beliefs. Sometimes I wondered if that's what we need when trying to educate non-techs to equipment they never heard of before. Imagine mentioning "Heat pump" and wondering what goes through a customers mind. Do they see a pump of some kind pouring out fire?
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that people are stupid. They very well could exceed your IQ and might have a big brain. It's just that sometimes things are heard for the first time.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Could be an old Williams or Air Ease outdoor unit. Or even an American Furnace (AFCO) that matched the furnace. They were green and front discharge.

Post Likes
    March 1968

Post Likes
    Singer is not in the market anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in