Noisy heat pump problem on defrost

hi. i have a new goodman heat pump. it has an annoying problem since day one. it worked fine all winter except for this noise problem.
    When it goes into
    defrost the compressor gets very loud for about 10 seconds. it sounds
    like it might blow up. It sounds like its digesting raw refrigerant. I
    fear its going to ruin the compressor.
    I have had it checked twice by techs but they can't find anything wrong. it is a
    3.5 ton Goodman 14 seer heat pump system GSH130421A/AEPF42601A

i contacted goodman and here is what they said. does this sound like it could be the problem. has anyone had a similar experience? before i have a serviceman out another time i would like some opinions. i live in a rural area and techs here dont seem that knowledgable about heat pumps. here is what goodman said:

Thank you for contacting GoodmanMfg Co.

We sincerely regret any difficulties you have experienced with our
    product.

Out tech support department has informed me that the technician should
    be checking for a slow moving reversing valve. He is welcome to contact
    us while he is the unit for assistance with resolving any issues with
    your unit.

You should attach the sound byte of the compressor going into defrost that you e-mailed me a few months ago.

My GSH14036 heat pump w/scroll compressor also makes a strange sound going into/coming out of defrost. I am told the noise is common for scroll compressors. Don't think you have a scroll in that 3 1/2 ton 13 SEER unit.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    You should attach the sound byte of the compressor going into defrost that you e-mailed me a few months ago.

My GSH14036 heat pump w/scroll compressor also makes a strange sound going into/coming out of defrost. I am told the noise is common for scroll compressors. Don't think you have a scroll in that 3 1/2 ton 13 SEER unit.

Good luck.
    thanks gary. yes it is a scroll comp. i do have a recording of the sound i could forward if anyone would want to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by vhehn View Post
    thanks gary. yes it is a scroll comp. i do have a recording of the sound i could forward if anyone would want to hear it.
    Can you provide the sound byte as a link?

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Can you provide the sound byte as a link?
    here is a sound bite of a defrost cycle

http://download.yousendit.com/DD152B4F5104646E

Had to listen to that. I recently installed a Goodman 2 ton 16 SEER heat pump at my house, it makes the exact same noise on defrost. Also on a regular cycle shutdown it sometimes makes what sounds like a loud noise that sounds like compressor valves slapping. After it shuts off I can hear a slow leaking of refrigerant past a valve somewhere in the condenser unit, but I haven't opened it up yet to check exactly where.

Does it sound like a "moose call" ? If so, there are some issues with a few rev. valves that some manufactures are looking into. Has to do with the internal porting of the valve.

Quote Originally Posted by woody19 View Post
    Does it sound like a "moose call" ? If so, there are some issues with a few rev. valves that some manufactures are looking into. Has to do with the internal porting of the valve.
    no. this sounds like as soon as the valve reverses the compressor gets a big slug of raw refrigerant and the compressor rattles loudly as it digests it for about ten seconds. then it quiets down and defrosts normally. i have had it checked for over charge so that does not seem to be the problem.

I have a vid of a friend's defrosting. It let out a honk as it came out of defrost. If I remember I'll upload and post an address.

Couple years ago family member had me check theirs for noise. Never heard anything, finally hit a defrost and it honked for a few seconds going in. That was the noise they heard. Neighborhood of tightly spaced homes and junker Lennox no-accumulator pumps constantly yelling!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I have a vid of a friend's defrosting. It let out a honk as it came out of defrost. If I remember I'll upload and post an address.

Couple years ago family member had me check theirs for noise. Never heard anything, finally hit a defrost and it honked for a few seconds going in. That was the noise they heard. Neighborhood of tightly spaced homes and junker Lennox no-accumulator pumps constantly yelling!
    BL: do you think there is a fixable problem with Vhehn's condenser?

My guess would be nothing can be done. My old King has the scroll in an insulated metal box and I can still hear it scream, mostly going into defrost.

Some brands actually stop the compressor, shift the RV and then start the comp back up to stop these noises. For a long time, Trane started the fan for 15 seconds before shifting the RV back to heat.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    My guess would be nothing can be done. My old King has the scroll in an insulated metal box and I can still hear it scream, mostly going into defrost.

Some brands actually stop the compressor, shift the RV and then start the comp back up to stop these noises. For a long time, Trane started the fan for 15 seconds before shifting the RV back to heat.
    I have a Goodman GSH14036 heat pump w/scroll. It makes the same noise as Vhehn's going into/coming out of defrost. It's my first experience with a scroll so I thought it was just the nature of the beast.

Take care.