Hmm Hypothetical question

I have a single story 1700 sq. ft. home in New Orleans, La. My attic is insulated with spray foam insulation applied to the underside of the roof decking making my attic a semi-conditioned space (the hottest it got last summer was 82 degrees) i currently have a vertical unit and am looking to replace it with a horizontal unit. alright to the question can i cut a return in every room and just allow the air into the attic and put the main return in the attic so thay it will suck from every room?
    just an off the wall idea
    any thoughts are appreciated

I doubt your unit is over sized enough to add the size of your attic into the mix. Not to mention the attic vent. Are they open or closed? Some commercial buildings use the same theory and use a drop tile ceiling as the return space.
    If you didn't do it right the first time it probably makes sense that your here asking the right way to do it now

i dont want to put a vent in the attic i was just wondering if i could put the return in the attic rather than in the hall ceiling. if the return was in the attic with no returns in the rooms i assume it would have trouble using just the typical leakage so i was wondering about putting the return in the attic and then cutting a vent in the ceiling of the rooms to let the air get to the return.

NO.

A, It increases fire damage potential.
    B. If you pull the return air through the attic, it becomes part of the conditioned area. Weather or not you put a supply in the attic. Meaning, as stated above, you need a larger A/C to handle the added load.
    C. The roof deck is foamed, but the attic is still vented with outdoor air.
    It would cost you more to cool your house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

C. The roof deck is foamed, but the attic is still vented with outdoor air.
    It would cost you more to cool your house.

If is it shouldn't be hence the semi conditioned space. but he still can't use the area as a return plenum unless wiring and combustibles are addressed.